I'm planning on slapping some new pickups on my guitar. I just don't know which to use. My guitar has a HSH body, and I wanna have pickups that when I tap or do pinch harmonics, it comes out nice and loud.
Any idea?
Getting a good tapping and pinch sound relies more on technique and EQ settings, not pickups.
You should be fine with whatever pickups you have, as long as they aren't super quiet.
Something with high output?

Just a thought...
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by Baby Joel
Getting a good tapping and pinch sound relies more on technique and EQ settings, not pickups.
You should be fine with whatever pickups you have, as long as they aren't super quiet.

+1

Technique is the most important thing here. I've seen great players tap well on any kind of guitar (within reason).
Quote by supergerbil
+1

Technique is the most important thing here. I've seen great players tap well on any kind of guitar (within reason).

+1 to this and the one he quoted

all you need for tapping is a bit of gain either from a pedal or your amp and you're sorted

aslong as you have the technique right

and the EQ is also important :P
actually, Piezos may sound better than standard pickups if you're tapping's through a clean channel.
------

Shwiggity.
you need a high gain amp for tapping. pinch harmonics are better on a pickup thats made for metal. pick one. emg's sort of make up for not having a high gain amp. they used passives a lot in the 80's and they never had problems. it was all in the amps. pinch harmonics also sound good through a tube screamer or a treble booster.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
I have a piece of junk digitech RP80 effects pedal and the compressor function on it makes pinch harmonics scream, and fingertapping sound almost as loud as picking, if you do it right. Im assuming any compressor would help.

Also, active pickups can help, but aren't nessicary.
Quote by fullsailstudent
you need a high gain amp for tapping

Listen to something like joe satriani's midnight. Where's the high gain? Or does tapping only work when your tone is saturated with distortion ?
Last edited by supergerbil at Sep 17, 2009,