Yes, I have a spider 3. I was young and foolish when I got it. My budget isn't very high right now, as I'm saving up for a better guitar and a better amp, but will a tubescreamer still sound good through a spider? Being a modelling amp, and all.

Also, since I'm new to the whole pedal thing (never had one before), would you usually use a distortion pedal while on a high-gain setting or low-gain setting on your amp?

Sorry for the noobish question.
i have that setup haha i'm saving up for a real nice amp right now and i have a 75 watt spider 3 with the old reissue tube screamer. its not the best sound but i works it sounds fine tube screamers are way better on tube amps though hence the name tube screamer but it really doesn't matter what amp you have or are going to get a tube screamer is a great buy no matter what.
no, tube screamers (while they can be used on solid states) generally sound better in tube amps for one, and i've found that using distortion/overdrive pedals through a spider sounds absolutely horrible. Better just using the onboard distortion.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
No, it won't drive/boost the amplifier like it would in the case of a tube amp.
Just keep saving up in my opinion.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
what kind of spider you have?
15.30.75.120.150?

but okay, thanks everyone. i'll wait and save.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
then sell the amp and get a good tube amp

What would you recommend? I play metal and hard rock. Little else really.

(selling my amp would be rather pointless, as I'd hardly get anything for it. they're selling for about £50 new, so i'd get maybe £30 if i was lucky.)
i've heard from a few people that the ht-5 isn't best suited for the heavier sounds of metal, is that just a matter of preference or is it slightly lacking? what would a tubescreamer sound like through it?
A tube screamer will make any tube amp sound better....

Save for a tube amp...the blackstar or whatever will be an improvement for you...just think,save up for a tube amp and you may never have 2 worry about buying an amp again
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
it will sound like a tube screamer. Might mask the crappy clean tone
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
A Tubescreamer into a Spider is the equivalent of a gold ring around a turd.