Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at getting an electric guitar, I currently have a yamaha fg730 acoustic, and am wanting to get an electric so i can try out some new styles. I saw the squires were pretty cheap, are they any good? I was looking at the telecaster, and don't really wanna shell out alot of money on a Fender american one till i play electric for a while. Any advice? thanks!
Gear:
Alvarez Classical Guitar(don't know much about it).
Yamaha FG730S
Agile AL-2000 Black Cherry
Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo
Last edited by scfan919 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Sarcophagist
do you want humbuckers or single coils?

If only i knew the difference...lol i dunno what the difference is...i just know i like the way the tele's look and have heard good things about them.
Gear:
Yamaha FG730S
Quote by Ippon
Any of the Squier (note spelling) Telecaster models would be decent for a starter guitar. I'll wait for the others to recommend decent starter amps, other than an Epiphone Valve Junior.

Fixed the spelling
Gear:
Yamaha FG730S
Well humbucker vs single coil is the first thing you need to learn. This means the pickups. Humbuckers are "double coils" and have a thicker sound, better suited to rock/rhythm; single coil pickups are better for lead/blues sounds. Check Wikipedia on "single coil" and "humbucker".

This is important.

What style do you play?
Fine Purveyors of Paederasty Since 1853
I like to run blues scales on my acoustic, but i like to listen to Alt rock..muse, cage the elephant, etc, so i would like to play some of that.
Gear:
Yamaha FG730S
What music do you play? There are Teles with the following configurations: S-S, H-S, S-H, H-S-S, S-S-S, H-H. Heck, there are fanatics who also use Piezos.

Check your local CraigsList, if you don't mind Used. It'll also save you a bundle. I've bought some for ~$50 in very good condition.

Perhaps you won't mind ordering from Rondo: http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html Check out the SX, Douglas, and Agile Tele copies.

any other advice?
Gear:
Yamaha FG730S
Well, squier suck to be frank.

Try vintage, thye make good strat copies. Hiowever I don't know about telcasters.
Quote by scfan919
any other advice?

Yes.

Telecasters are g**damned ugly.
Quote by scfan919
any other advice?

Try before you buy, look at the Yamaha Pacifica series of guitars.
Quote by Lollage123
Well, squier suck to be frank.

Try vintage, thye make good strat copies. Hiowever I don't know about telcasters.

Hey look everyone! A bandwagon!

Squiers do NOT suck. TS, I think a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele would be a good guitar for you. Cheap enough to be a starter guitar, good enough to keep using after your electric skills develop a bit.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Actually the higher end squiers are supposedly pretty good. This guy I know had a Squier tele with two P90s (cross between single and humbuckers, sortof) and it played pretty good.

However, you are probably considering a cheaper squier, and that won't be that good, but hey, you have to start on something.
Quote by Natrone
Hey look everyone! A bandwagon!

Squiers do NOT suck. TS, I think a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele would be a good guitar for you. Cheap enough to be a starter guitar, good enough to keep using after your electric skills develop a bit.

Sure they do... compared to an expensive guitar. As for cheaper guitars they´re as good quality as any other cheap guitar these days - which is fairly good.
big tip.

CRAIGSLIST& RONDOMUSIC!!!

on your craigslist though youll save a bunch of money.

i just saw a fender stratocaster made in mexico for 100 bucks. and the other day i saw a schecter c-1 for 150.

just look around and find a good cheap one. and youll have no limit. the 120-130 bucks for the squier will get you a nice amp and electric guitar.
Classical Guitarist
the squier telecaster is the best squier guitar in my opinion. it is a good cheap starter guitar and when you learn more about tone, you can replace them for some p-90s. As far as the single coil/humbucker dispute, you can get any sound you want out of them both. 80 percent of tone comes from the amplifier, 15 from the pickups, 3-4 from the strings and 1-2 from the type of wood maybe. if you like the feel of the guitar, buy it. the feel is more important than the sound because you can change the sound with replacement pickups and a decent amp. a squire strat will only give you problems unless you completely replace the soundboard and bridge.

Moral of story telecaster is your best bet. A good fender tele is only bout 500 bucks tops. dont pay more or your getting ripped off, unless the guitar is of significant historical importance
Quote by Bluesy...
As far as the single coil/humbucker dispute, you can get any sound you want out of them both. 80 percent of tone comes from the amplifier, 15 from the pickups, 3-4 from the strings and 1-2 from the type of wood maybe. if you like the feel of the guitar, buy it. the feel is more important than the sound because you can change the sound with replacement pickups and a decent amp. a squire strat will only give you problems unless you completely replace the soundboard and bridge.

Another tip is that no one is really sure what parts of the tone chain make up each percentage of tone and many people would argue for different parts being more important.
Quote by Vlasco
Sure they do... compared to an expensive guitar. As for cheaper guitars they´re as good quality as any other cheap guitar these days - which is fairly good.

when you pay more money for anything, 90 percent of the time you are buying the name. I can make an investment in a squier made out of mahogany, replace the pickups and i'm good to go. squier strat, made out of mahogany, basic. $150 soundboard replacement 50-100 total investment: $250. Buy a fender strat and you already spend twice as much.

Furthermore, paul reed smith guitars are hella expensive but they sound like crap, unless your name is carlos santana, and he uses other stuff to make it sound good.

My little epiphone les paul special II can out play any fender guitar because i replaced the pickups. Really the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like the feel of a guitar, buy it.
Quote by Vlasco
Another tip is that no one is really sure what parts of the tone chain make up each percentage of tone and many people would argue for different parts being more important.

And another note is that generalizations are made to make a point and things that people argue are superfluous. That is merely my opinion, not necessarily what everyone believes. Using the same amp on a clean channel with everything turned to noon is how you test a guitar if you dont have a default eq. you can make any guitar sound good with the right amplification.
Quote by Bluesy...
when you pay more money for anything, 90 percent of the time you are buying the name. I can make an investment in a squier made out of mahogany, replace the pickups and i'm good to go. squier strat, made out of mahogany, basic. $150 soundboard replacement 50-100 total investment: $250. Buy a fender strat and you already spend twice as much.

Furthermore, paul reed smith guitars are hella expensive but they sound like crap, unless your name is carlos santana, and he uses other stuff to make it sound good.

My little epiphone les paul special II can out play any fender guitar because i replaced the pickups. Really the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like the feel of a guitar, buy it.

The **** is a soundboard?
Quote by Bluesy...

I both agree and totally disagree with this. I have a Squier that I absolutely love, even without any real upgrades - but compared to my expensive guitars it is nothing.
Quote by Bluesy...
And another note is that generalizations are made to make a point and things that people argue are superfluous. That is merely my opinion, not necessarily what everyone believes. Using the same amp on a clean channel with everything turned to noon is how you test a guitar if you dont have a default eq. you can make any guitar sound good with the right amplification.

When you´re talking to a beginner a generalization and overblown statistic will be taken as fact. Just like your other bull**** 90% statistic.

I´ve played a couple guitars that I couldn´t get a good sound out of on any of my amps - there is such a thing as a guitar so bleh that it just won´t hit a sweet spot to someone´s ears.
Quote by Bluesy...
As far as the single coil/humbucker dispute, you can get any sound you want out of them both.

False.
Yamaha Pacifica 112v. It has a humbucker and two single coils and you can get pretty much any sound out of it. Ten times better than a squier.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Vlasco
When you´re talking to a beginner a generalization and overblown statistic will be taken as fact. Just like your other bull**** 90% statistic.

I´ve played a couple guitars that I couldn´t get a good sound out of on any of my amps - there is such a thing as a guitar so bleh that it just won´t hit a sweet spot to someone´s ears.

maybe you should learn how to eq an amp.......... but a sweet spot is different in everyone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by Vlasco
I both agree and totally disagree with this. I have a Squier that I absolutely love, even without any real upgrades - but compared to my expensive guitars it is nothing.

Placebo effect

Crank the Mids
Quote by Sarcophagist
False.

Prove me wrong

Crank the Mids
Quote by azn_guitarist25
The **** is a soundboard?

The pick guard with all of the pickups and wires hooked up. the only thing you need to connect is the ground. it may be called something else but thats what i call it.

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...
The pick guard with all of the pickups and wires hooked up. the only thing you need to connect is the ground. it may be called something else but thats what i call it.

Ah a wired pre-pickguard then.
Quote by Bluesy...
maybe you should learn how to eq an amp.......... but a sweet spot is different in everyone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Yes, and I can EQ very well. But that sweet spot in my ears is absent in some guitars - therefore not every guitar can sound good to me through the appropriate amp.

And as for my nice guitars - it isn´t a placebo effect at all. I can look at exact measurements and tonal differences to tell that my expensive guitars are better for me.

To say a Squier is as good as them is just ridiculous.

And as for the single vs hum sound - you can get close with either but not quite exact. I agree each pickup can do all genres well if that is what you mean... but they certainly aren´t both omniversatile.
Last edited by Vlasco at Sep 13, 2009,
In all the years I have been playing and collecting guitars I only found one Squier that I thought was decent and I bought it. 99% of them I have played were horrible before that. I would recommend a better brand of guitar. An Epi, Agile or Douglas. If you really want a Fender style guitar look into MIM line used I still do not care for them but they are far superior to the Squier guitars.

John
Quote by Vlasco
Yes, and I can EQ very well. But that sweet spot in my ears is absent in some guitars - therefore not every guitar can sound good to me through the appropriate amp.

And as for my nice guitars - it isn´t a placebo effect at all. I can look at exact measurements and tonal differences to tell that my expensive guitars are better for me.

To say a Squier is as good as them is just ridiculous.

And as for the single vs hum sound - you can get close with either but not quite exact. I agree each pickup can do all genres well if that is what you mean... but they certainly aren´t both omniversatile.

OK to the first. But certain types of amps can give a range of tones. I use a valvetronix and usually only use the tweed 4x10 channel. Through this channel i can get a number of different tones... you get the point. i have a mean 90 in my neck and a rails on my bridge and i can get similar tones out of each. I made my guitar sound a lot better than it did simply by replacing the pickups. is it going to sound exactly like a les paul, no but i can get close, and sometimes i think it sounds better.
and i never said that you can get the exact same tones out of singles and hums, but simply that you can get any sound you want out of either.

In my opinion, what makes a good guitar is the feel, not the sound, because most of the sound comes from the electrical work. My brother's ibanez sounds better than my epi, but i dont like it because it feels funny

Ill say it again: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Obviously if a guitar has better electric work it is going to work better. My point is that you can make a squire tele or strat sound like a fender tele or strat if you know what to do.

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...

In my opinion, what makes a good guitar is the feel, not the sound, because most of the sound comes from the electrical work. My brother's ibanez sounds better than my epi, but i dont like it because it feels funny

Ill say it again: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And my guitars feel - and sound - WAY better than my Squier. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder then stop telling me I´m suffereing from a placebo effect and that Squiers are on par with expensive guitars.
Quote by Bluesy...

I havent laughed like that since I was a little girl, thank you.

Quote by Bluesy...
the squier telecaster is the best squier guitar in my opinion. it is a good cheap starter guitar and when you learn more about tone, you can replace them for some p-90s. As far as the single coil/humbucker dispute, you can get any sound you want out of them both. 80 percent of tone comes from the amplifier, 15 from the pickups, 3-4 from the strings and 1-2 from the type of wood maybe. if you like the feel of the guitar, buy it. the feel is more important than the sound because you can change the sound with replacement pickups and a decent amp. a squire strat will only give you problems unless you completely replace the soundboard and bridge.

Moral of story telecaster is your best bet. A good fender tele is only bout 500 bucks tops. dont pay more or your getting ripped off, unless the guitar is of significant historical importance

So you honestly think that changing string brands would have more effect on tone than the body wood of a guitar?

my god kid you're a laugh riot.

I wonder what wisdom you'll bring us next, perhaps you'll tell us that the kind of speaker in a cabinet has less impact on the sound than the plectrum, or that if we brush our teeth 3 times a day instead of 2 sweep picking will be easier.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by Bluesy...

Are you on something?
First off, Paul Reed Smith makes some of the most versatile and excellent guitars I've ever played.

Secondly, an Epiphone Les Paul will never, ever out play an American Fender Deluxe just because you changed the pickups on it. Pickups = Playing quality. Its the neck.

You can change all the electronics, pickups, tuners, bridge you want, but when it comes to the actual guitar's quality, you're paying for the neck and body quality.

I will agree that you're paying some extra money for the name, but that doesn't mean that the build quality isn't better. For example, comparing your Epiphone to a well built Gibson, the Gibson will win hands down, every time.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Bluesy...
Prove me wrong

"hey, i have an SG. why can't i get a twangy surf tone out of it?"
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by tommyt

I havent laughed like that since I was a little girl, thank you.

So you honestly think that changing string brands would have more effect on tone than the body wood of a guitar?

my god kid you're a laugh riot.

Quote by Guitar2theface
Are you on something?
First off, Paul Reed Smith makes some of the most versatile and excellent guitars I've ever played.

Secondly, an Epiphone Les Paul will never, ever out play an American Fender Deluxe just because you changed the pickups on it. Pickups = Playing quality. Its the neck.

You can change all the electronics, pickups, tuners, bridge you want, but when it comes to the actual guitar's quality, you're paying for the neck and body quality.

Basically everything I was going to say in this thread was covered by these two guys.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Page 1 of 2