Iv been saving for a second tube amp, and i like a sort of hard rock ,metal hair metal sound. I have come from using a Valve King, so thats what im sort of use to. Iv narrowed it down to:

Bogner Alchemist 112 212 used
Carvin v3 combo used
A peavey 3120 new (which btw does it still come with the windsor cab?
6505 Combo used

Im leaning toward the Bogner but have not played it yet im hoping to run into the store and play it soon. Never played the V3 dont know where i could find one in my small town. Iv played a 6505 not crazy about its cleans or lack of versitility. But im wondering what your opinions were.

Thanks
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
The new 6505 1x12 combo should be out fairly soon, i think in october. it's only around $700 i think.

The Alchemist doesn't have as much built-in gain as the others. I hear the V3 is a great metal amp and i've used the 6505 and they're very good. I don't think the 3120 comes with the Windsor cab anymore, and it's basically a triple XXX replacement.
what do u play? if u play metal get the bogner, behemoth uses them i think
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by devit
what do u play? if u play metal get the bogner, behemoth uses them i think

no

the Alchemist is a different Bogner.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Pac_man0123
The new 6505 1x12 combo should be out fairly soon, i think in october. it's only around $700 i think.

The Alchemist doesn't have as much built-in gain as the others. I hear the V3 is a great metal amp and i've used the 6505 and they're very good. I don't think the 3120 comes with the Windsor cab anymore, and it's basically a triple XXX replacement.

I play a bit of metal is the bogner capable of metal to some extent? Iv also heard many good and bad things about the V3 i just need to test one.
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
the alchemist isnt much of a metal amp really...not too much gain. the peavey 6505 may have a lot for hard rock, and idk about the 3120 or v3. the 6505 will do alright though. i mean, if a high gain amp like my bugera 6262 can pull of green day to some extent, then i think the 6505 will do fine.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
of yea the 6505 has plenty of gain almost more than i need or want. iv seen some videos on youtube of the alchemist doing some pretty high gain stuff im just wondering if it will be enough
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
Quote by rockaholic120
of yea the 6505 has plenty of gain almost more than i need or want. iv seen some videos on youtube of the alchemist doing some pretty high gain stuff im just wondering if it will be enough

Having used an alchemist i must say it was rather underwhelming for anything more than highly overdriven rock.
a 1,000 dollar budget and that's your list of options?

there are so many choices out there, for example you can look into a mesa single/ dual rectifier, or a marshall jcm800 or 900, the more obvious ones of course. the 6505 is also a good choice and so far many others, you could probably get a used engl or hughes kettner.
Funny, the Bogner I played on had more than enough gain...it's all subjective though.

I agree, I'd look into a Peavey Triple X, Marshall JCM 800-900, used 5150II (6505+), or an Engl Thunder or Screamer.

The Alchemist I played had a real spongy, mushy, saturated tone...not bad if you're into that sort of thing...it'd still be worth a look I'd say. V3's are decent amps, though I think they lack balls and don't quite pump out the gain you'd expect (not that thats a bad thing necessarily). The 6505 combo is a one trick pony...it's heavy and ridiculous for what it is in my opinion.
Quote by kckyle
a 1,000 dollar budget and that's your list of options?

there are so many choices out there, for example you can look into a mesa single/ dual rectifier, or a marshall jcm800 or 900, the more obvious ones of course. the 6505 is also a good choice and so far many others, you could probably get a used engl or hughes kettner.

im just not extremely crazy about marshalls on the other hand i do like mesa boogie but by the time i buy the head im pretty much out of cash for the cab unless i can find a combo and engl's kinda pricey though id love to have one
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
Quote by rockaholic120
im just not extremely crazy about marshalls on the other hand i do like mesa boogie but by the time i buy the head im pretty much out of cash for the cab unless i can find a combo and engl's kinda pricey though id love to have one

check my thread for amp suggestions(link in sig)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i love vai i just dont want his sound and his amp is ugly and as for the other one i dont know anything about it and it looks like its covered in carpet hahaha typical me to judge by looks
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
Yeah because the x100b is probably the best Carvin amp produced....

You can find Engl Screamer/Thunder combos and Mesa combos for under a grand, though you may have to just be patient. Also def. don't rule out the XXX.
if you want a bogner try looking for a Uberschall on the used market you might be lucky to find one used.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Hard Rock / Hair Metal? A Carvin Legacy or X100b should do the job nicely.

I was in the same position as you. I mainly play hair metal and I decided to go with the Legacy or X100B. They're good amps. Just because Steve Vai made it doesn't mean you'll be getting his tone. Think about it, 1000s of people play 5150s (which is EVH's sig) but they all sound different. People play amps because they're good. Steve Vai isn't going to create an bad amp that he's going to play everyday on his tours. He wants the best sounding amp that he could get. The Legacy replaced his real boutique Bogner (not the Line 6 BS).

And the X100B has been reissued at Carvin direct. It doesn't have the carpet covering anymore and you can get it in different tolex colors. Just look on youtube to hear some clips. That's what sold me on them because Carvins can only be bought used or direct.

I was pro-V3 until I heard the other Carvins. But I do think that the V3 is the best out of those choices.
Keep in mind about the wattage of those amps. Most of them run above 100w, which is overkill for most situations.

I own an Alchemist, and I really love it, but it definitely does not excel in the high gain department as much as it excels in the clean/medium gain department. It CAN do it, but given the choices you have, other amps will do a better job (but damn does the 20-watt variac mode on the Alchemist give you a nice brown sound).

I would suggest the 3120 or a used JCM800 of some sort. Never played the V3, but judging from the clips I think the distortion is just a bunch of fizz, like a Dual Rectifier, but much fizzier.
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
The v3 is extremely versatile. However the number of variables make it so that it takes a good time to find the tone you want. Each knob is very sensitive. There is the master eq, independent channel eq, distortion type, and the EQX controll. All of these will change your tone. The v3 is an excellent amp if you are the type that likes to fiddle with your tone all of the time. It is very entertaining and it sounds very full to my ears. I use it with a 2x12 v30 avatar and a 2x12 vader.
I owned a 112 alchemist and it had some serious cab rattles even at lower volume levels. I picked up a used Peavey XXX and love it!