So I was at band practice yesterday, and while everyone was taking a break, I decided to plug into the other guitarists Line 6 Spider. Just for kicks, since I'd never played on before and heard all the bad press it's been getting.

As soon as I started playing I put it on the "Metal" setting and the first thing I notice was it does sound very digital, but I actually kind of liked it (Seriously, I'm not a troll). I started just messing around playing some solos and I noticed It's much easier to get good sounding pinch harmonics than even on my Mesa.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mesa but I was just kind of intrugued about the Spider's tone. I was playing with his Epi SG, so that could make a little difference but most of the tone is from the amp.

Anyway, it's not that I like the Spider better, I just think It gets more bad press than it deserves. I could definately hear how it sounds 'digital', but I don't think it's nessecarily a bad thing. I actually jammed on it for a good 20 minutes. And I didn't mind the cleans at all.

I don't know, that's just my two cents. Sorry about the rant. And no this isn't supposed to be a "Why does everybody hate the spider thread"
I hate my sig
its possible that you're crazy

I got a much better metal tone running a boss MT2 into the clean channel, thats just me though.
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
I kind of agree.
I see why the spider gets neg rep, as I own a spider III, but it really isn't all that bad.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
The "Metal" setting isn't actually that bad (without any effects), well, it is pretty bad, but the rest is just even worse and gives me a headache...
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
To each their own. I've used Spiders many times before at my friend's houses and they sound like a fizzy mess.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i used to have a spider. then i sold it and got a vypyr of the same size (i like the effects on it). In a perfect world i would have a Marshall and a bunch of pedals. but because im 13 and have no money, i need a digital amp so i can get effects and stuff for a lot less $$$ than pedals
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
You're not tone deaf. A friend of mine has one and it actually sounds quite good. He is an awesome guitarist though.
I play Bass and Drums, the instruments that are made fun of

"And there shall be a boy of such extrordinary rhythm section power, that he shall smite all 6-stringed elitists that stand before him"- Nostradamus
i actually kind of agree. i have a spider III and i think it gets more bad press than it deserves. Granted, it's not a great amp, and there are many other amps i would much rather have, but it's not like spiders are expensive or anything. you get what you pay for.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
I agree. Spiders are pretty awesome practice amps, and maybe even for small gigs. They're not that bad.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by ScottPAL
You're not tone deaf. A friend of mine has one and it actually sounds quite good. He is an awesome guitarist though.

Well so am I....maybe that's what I was hearing
I hate my sig
It gets a bad rap because, like all digital amps and effects, it usually only sounds good with no gain or with stupid high gain. Anything in the middle (like 'overdrive', rather than 'distortion') sounds fake.

Also, people rag on Line 6 because all the teenage punks that think they're Ultra Metal Rock Gods play them. It's like assuming the owner of a Carlos Santana PRS is a rich guy that can't play well. Not necessarily true, but you've got about 5:1 odds of being right in either case.
Quote by jean_genie
Also, people rag on Line 6 because all the teenage punks that think they're Ultra Metal Rock Gods play them

just too much digi for me, although when i played one at GC it seemed to nail Syn's tone when he plays live

its alright for certain things i guess. i dont see myself buying one though. if you like the sound then why not get it?

and if was playing a mesa, then played a line 6, and thought the line 6 wwas "good". i would feel really wierd about myself..
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91

and if was playing a mesa, then played a line 6, and thought the line 6 wwas "good". i would feel really wierd about myself..

You've obviously never heard a Vetta or HD147.

And no, the Spiders aren't THAT bad, but they're made double bad by the m3g4br00t4l kids who use them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
wow, it's like UG is all grown up now and is tired of mud slinging or something. personally, i feel if you want to play at lower volumes, then those digital modelers will most likely sound good. but a good tube amp cranked to the 'appropriate' playing volume to unlock all the tonal goodness will be more organic in a mix. that is all though, i do not think nasty things about digital effects and modelers. do you know how loud you have to get a tube amp for those harmonics to leap from a guitar like those digital modelers? why am i asking, of course you do, you made the observation that pinch harmonics are way easier on digital modelers. it cuz it's modeling the tone of a tube amp at high volume. sweet. just wish they could get digital to have more musical feedback.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 12, 2009,
Yeah. And my bandd always tells me to turn down so we can hear the other guitarist.... I just wish he'd get a new amp so we could all turn up and sound good
I hate my sig
in general tube amps have a higher perceived loudness. really digital sounds fine until you place it next to a tube amp live, then you wonder where all the line 6 guitar tone went to. it's under the tube amp somewhere. i feel this is not just the fact that tube amps are louder per wattage rating, it is something with the tone. still, those harmonics leap.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
there's a lot of compression and gain. who doesn't like it?

it's really good upfront just like snack foods are. but looking deeper into it, they're fizzy and undefined, just like snack foods are full of fat, calories, carbs, etc.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The amp I use mostly while practicing with my band is a Line 6. It's digital, but I'm not sure exactly what model. It's an older one, and I think it's brilliant. It has two Celestion speakers and sounds quite sexy, although that's next to a completely stock Peavey Bandit 112 with a cheapo Dean and Boss Mega Distortion fed into it, which sounds quite like a fart amplified through a bucket of sand.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
there's a lot of compression and gain. who doesn't like it?

it's really good upfront just like snack foods are. but looking deeper into it, they're fizzy and undefined, just like snack foods are full of fat, calories, carbs, etc.

What a beautiful analogy.

Also, if you use the same amp everyday and try a different amp another day, you're immediately going to like it because its unusual to your ears.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I can't stand the digital sound you get from it. I've A/B'd it with my Valvetronix amp, and it's a world of difference. The cleans sound disgusting, the distortion is fizzy, and the overdrive is just a mess. Insane is only good for tapping.

My 2 cents.
Spiders are great practice amps, affordable, and trillions of things to try.

But you will never ever ever ever ever ever see me play one live. I'd only buy the 30 watt version for practice. Nothing more.

Did I say ever?