Page 1 of 2
I just realized the pick also contributes to your sound.
I've been playing with a first act "Crunchies" pick for about a week, and I thought my amp was broken.
Then I stopped being lazy and went into my gig bag and got one of my heavy Jimi Hendrix picks.
Doesn't sound like crap anymore
Anyone else notice this? Try it. Get a lame, thin pick and see what happens.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Yeah I have noticed that too.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Thats a reason I usually carry different picks around, for slightly different sounds.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
nvr really noticed.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I don't understand. Why do thin picks even exist?
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
How could you have not noticed :S ?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by baNG1989

Thin picks are better for strumming, I think it gives you a less sharp more warm sound. But that is just my opioion.
thin picks are better for clean yeah, I give you that. (I'm typing with my guitar strapped on)
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by Silent_Crow13
Thin picks are better for strumming, I think it gives you a less sharp more warm sound. But that is just my opioion.

true, and good for people who arej ust starting out playing guitar
Quote by baNG1989

Man, I only use thin picks. I like them so much more than a heavy pick, it just feels more natural, and lets your pick faster, in my opinion. Not so much movement on the strings.

Picks really do make a difference though, and I've found that Dunlop Tortex Reds are my ideal pick. I used to use generic guitar store picks, with a glossy texture, and they just had no feeling in the sound.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by sharpant
How could you have not noticed :S ?

Iono.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by muse-ik
Man, I only use thin picks. I like them so much more than a heavy pick, it just feels more natural, and lets your pick faster, in my opinion. Not so much movement on the strings.

Picks really do make a difference though, and I've found that Dunlop Tortex Reds are my ideal pick. I used to use generic guitar store picks, with a glossy texture, and they just had no feeling in the sound.

I thought a thin pick would help me strum faster, but a smaller heavy pick is better for me.

I use these

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix portrait pic. Came with a neat little tin.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
i like a medium or medium-heavy pick, myself. i like to be able to bend the pick between my fingers for a good hold on it, but also have it hit the strings and be solid enough to sound sharp and responsive. can't stand thin picks really.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by muse-ik

You can learn to pick faster, regardless of the type of pick you use. However, it would be really difficult for a player to transition from a light pick to a medium or heavy pick if he were to get too accustomed to the ease of picking with a light pick. At least, that's typical from what I've seen.

You guys have it right. Light picks are good for songs completely built off chords, or songs based around a clean sound. Medium picks are just your all-around standard picks. Heavy picks seem to work better with giving definition to single notes, and also help with some technical forms of picking, like sweep picking.
Last edited by JP Oliver at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Jazz III's ftw.

i love those! also like those dava picks with the rubber grip. think those are only size though

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Yeah, Everything about your equipment and style contributes to the final sound. Even the finish and the strings. My choice of guitar picks is the Jim Dunlop USA Nylon (With grips) Of all gauges. I like the thin .060s for alternate picking but really, I could probably use any pick.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Might be a n00b question, but are Jazz III's just for jazz? And why does everyone use them?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
My cousin uses jazz III's They're just little and thick.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
mark tremonti (creed/alter bridge) uses them. i use them for a week then i go back to a normal size pick, but overall i do like them. just not for everything i do.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

Quote by Pac_man0123
Jazz III's ftw.

It was only a matter of time before someone said that.

On topic: It's all about what you prefer. Some people like the tone of thin picks, some like thick. My rhythm guitarist only uses thin-medium picks, where I only use .88 picks (Usually Dunlop, but I've got a Fender one lying around).
Quote by falconthefirst
Might be a n00b question, but are Jazz III's just for jazz? And why does everyone use them?

Jazz is just the shape of the pick. It's smaller and pointier. In my opinion they make playing a lot easier but they are fairly thick.

Petrucci uses the black ones. I have yet to try them (because the store didn't have them in stock when i went) but the red ones are great too.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Jazz is just the shape of the pick. It's smaller and pointier. In my opinion they make playing a lot easier but they are fairly thick.

Petrucci uses the black ones. I have yet to try them (because the store didn't have them in stock when i went) but the red ones are great too.

Black and Red are the same pick, just different colors. Try the Ultex Jazz III's, they're see-thru green.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
i always use mediums...they just feel best

i actually did a science fair on this..sort of, i did it on if what you strum with can change how your tuner picks up the signal, it didn't work as well as i had hoped but i did get a change with thin picks, the tuner showed it a slight difference almost always
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
i also have this 3.0 mm jim dunlop stubby i just started playing with again. about the size of the jazz III but obviously a lot thicker and not quite as pointy. honestly its really easy to play with too

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

Quote by Wulphy
Black and Red are the same pick, just different colors. Try the Ultex Jazz III's, they're see-thru green.

They're actually made of different materials I think. To me the red ones feel much less stiff than the black ones.
I use 0.6mm tortex and jazz IIIs.

I can strum just as fast with a 0.6mm. I like the chirpy sound too.

The player controls the speed, not the pick.

Jazz IIIs are alright. They sound a bit dull, but with a bunch of distortion you can't really tell anyway, so whatever works.
I use the Purple Tortex 1.14 and the Pitch Black Tortex Jazz. Both are pretty good picks.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I LOVE thin picks, Dunlop .46's I think they are.
Feel more natural, better for strumming, better for sweeping since the pick just glides from string to string. I can also pick alot faster with them, because Witht the thin picks I dont have to hold on to them as hard so they dont go at a stupid angle or slip from my hand when im picking a stupidly fast off time rhythm.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I think I wanna try one of these bad boys.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Good to see so many tortex users. I've been using those picks for years now and cant get used to anything else. I use the 1.14 dunlop jazz tortex. I used to use those .50mm tortex red picks when I first started, but for me, I get much better control with a thicker pick. I think thinner picks flop around too much and make it harder be precise. Just my opinion though.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by Mikehugo2415
+1 Jazzes all the way

I prefer the EJ Sig pics...smoother jazz 3s
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by baNG1989

Acoustic. Go play an acoustic with a 1mm Dunlop tortex, then use a .73mm Snarling Dogs Brain Pick. I can almost guarantee you'll prefer the sound of the really freakin thin nylon pick to the thick tortex
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Yea I also tend to use the softer thinner picks for strumming, it feels more like when I just use my hands to sound the strings.

I mostly use my Dunlop 1mill, one of my fav
I win.
I use these and their medium size. Love em to death.
I also use 1-1.5mm tortex picks (the pointy ones).
I keep some thin ones hangin around too, as well as just various other picks I've picked up.

EDIT: Also, any1 else keep their picks in an ashtray??
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
interesting, i may order me some of those venemous. and bang1989s wirething looks good too

by the way, nice avatar venemous. its been too long since i listened to soilwork. stabbing the drama is amazing!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Sep 13, 2009,
Page 1 of 2