Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking of getting a modeling amp for some time now, and have been looking at modeling amps with tubes.

The main 3 I have been looking at are the Line 6 Spider Valve, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, and the Vox Valvetronix 30(bacause I am not too worried about loudness, any wattage above 20 will do, because I live in the middle of nowhere and have no maximum on my noise).

I play many different styles of music, including Metallica, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath. I know these amps will not get exact, but I would like to be (A tiny bit) close.

Would the Vox be a good idea just because I can get other things with the money I saved?

Thanks to all who help.

Edit: I should've said earlier that about $500 is my max.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Sep 12, 2009,
I've never played on or heard a Peavey Vypyr.

But I have played through the other two and out of those I would definatly get the VOX.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I've never played on or heard a Peavey Vypyr.

But I have played through the other two and out of those I would definatly get the VOX.

+1

I dont trust Line 6
I've heard that the Spider Valve and the Vypyr Tube sounded pretty similar, but that's hearsay so I cannot make any judgments from that.

EDIT: And I've also heard that the Spider Valve was not bad(compared to spiders), but, again, hearsay, so that's why I'm asking.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Sep 12, 2009,
thw vox is more solid state than valve it only has a preamp valve whilst the line 6 and peavey are true tube amps, for what you want i suggest the peavey vyper tube
Quote by britishsligean
thw vox is more solid state than valve it only has a preamp valve whilst the line 6 and peavey are true tube amps, for what you want i suggest the peavey vyper tube

Yeah, This.

Although the Vox is good as well.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
They still have a digital preamp... Tubes in a power amp connected to a digital preamp should just colour the tone however that tube sounds.

It's not exactly the same, but if I were to go rackmount and buy a modeler to act as a preamp, I'd go with a solidstate poweramp, not tube.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I'm going to side with the Line 6 to be perfectly honest.

but.

If I were you i'd personally go for a used JCM800 and an OD pedal, seeing as you live in the middle of nowhere

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'd go with the Line 6 over the VT. No one facepalm me. I've never played the Vyper but I've heard very good things about them. Personally, I hate the Valvetronix
I hate my sig
I would go for the Vox.

the Tube Vypyr is pretty good, better than the SV IMO
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Chrisiphone
I'm going to side with the Line 6 to be perfectly honest.

but.

If I were you i'd personally go for a used JCM800 and an OD pedal, seeing as you live in the middle of nowhere

I agree, that would be F*****G AWESOME, but I suck with ze ebay.
Wasnt there one guy who traded his Mesa for a SV the other day ? :S
Quote by kckyle
hughes kettner switchblade,

Can you buy it for me.[/tooexpensive]

After reading what you guys have to say, I am going to get the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, unless when I try it, I don't like it.
Out of those three, the Vypyr, but keep your eye out for an old Marshall Valvestate, like an 8080 or something. Really nice amps if you're not so interested in cleans.
I would say get the Spider Valve since you can get em cheap online for right now.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
They are cheap for a reason.

Right. Go on hating it just because it says Spider.
Have you played one? I have, it had more dynamic feel but was basically the same fizzy thing again. So Bogner made it better, but it's still not very good.
Yeah, I was very close to getting one before I got my JSX. Actually I was going to get one until I found a good deal on a JSX. I played a couple and spent hours with them and they're good amps. Think what you want to think I guess.
Okay, one more question. Are there any other good amps out there that model for around $500, and still have the tubey "feel" to them.
I own a Vox AD50vt and I love it. My friend owns a Spyder 3 and it sounds alright. It definitely sounds like a modeling amp. His has more bells and whistles than mine, but I think my Vox sounds better.
'07 Fender MIM Strat-Sunburst
'09 Epiphone Les Paul Custom-White
Digitech Whammy
Boss Overdrive/Distortion
VOX AD100VTH + Legion 4x12 Cab
VOX AD50VT + Sunn 2x15 Cab
Squier P-Bass
Acoustic B200H and B115 cab
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ
Quote by no.mop
They still have a digital preamp... Tubes in a power amp connected to a digital preamp should just colour the tone however that tube sounds.

It's not exactly the same, but if I were to go rackmount and buy a modeler to act as a preamp, I'd go with a solidstate poweramp, not tube.

A tube poweramp with ss preamp is much preferable to a tube preamp with a ss poweramp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
modeling = gay balls

get the peavey if you are more of a metalhead. i use to like modeling but now i hate the everliving sh!t out of it. I use it for quick, and easy reference. The over all sound just sucks.
"Blood is thicker then stripper sweat."
-Ballsuckulus "aka Marc Justus"
Quote by charles753df
modeling = gay balls

get the peavey if you are more of a metalhead. i use to like modeling but now i hate the everliving sh!t out of it. I use it for quick, and easy reference. The over all sound just sucks.

Ever hear of Axe-FX?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Don't get the Valvestate.
Not a fan of the VT series at all. Probably the worst out of your three choices.
Played the tube Vyper, still sounded like a SS amp. Wasn't that great.
Played the Spoder Valve. Blew me away. The effects are food, but the amp modelling is spectacular. For all the people saying- "it's cheap for a reason" it's cheap because stores are making room for the new Spider Valve.

Imo the spidervalve blows the Peavey and Vox out of the water. I'd get one while they're still cheap.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by britishsligean

pretty sure the tube is in the power amp actually.
Vypyr Tubes sound sick as hell.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Vypyr Tubes sound sick as hell.

First time ever on this site that I'm gonna disagree with you, Matrix.
Sorry, but to me, the Vyper tube didn't have much more warmth than the SS version. I also found most of the presets pretty buzzy.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
First time ever on this site that I'm gonna disagree with you, Matrix.
Sorry, but to me, the Vyper tube didn't have much more warmth than the SS version. I also found most of the presets pretty buzzy.

Interesting. When I tried one, the Recto model had more definition than most amps 5 times its price. I agree the models for the Peavey amps were fizzy, but the Recto in particular sounded intense IMO. I didn't use the presets though

That amp has actually had me second-guessing my Vetta lately
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2