Page 1 of 3
I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to figure this nonsense out.

I took apart and sanded down my SX Tele

I began painting. I was planning on black hardware and my girlfriend drawing on it with black marker.

Half assed my way through that. Ashley (Girlfriend) had a few typos and one or two smudges. She wrote the wrong thing in two places and hid them beautifully, only we know where they were.

It's looking pretty good so far even though I got a defective neck, the wrong bridge and my control plate doesn't fit just right. I'm putting GFS stacked singles in for now and will eventually upgrade them how I see fit.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My guitar needs a 5 screw Tele bridge, I got a 3 screw. The string holes are in a different place and it doesn't fit over all. I would say I purchased the incorrect bridge based on those points.

I think I put the comma in the wrong place in the title....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
No, I'm pretty sure all of it is from Stewmac. They don't carry 5 screw bridges in black so GF was almost my only option on such short notice. We thought the neck was ****ed but my step dad said it was just over spray so we got everything nice and smooth.

I'll get a picture of the back up soon. I let my girlfriend have a good amount of artistic freedom and I asked her to write in albums and songs that influenced me in to the designs. I also have the dates that Cliff Burton, Dime and Chuck Schuldiner died.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm really liking the detail put into the paint job. Amazing work by your girlfriend, really!

A bit annoying that you couldn't find the 5 screw bridge in black, but that's a minor flaw given everything else going on. It looks great!
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Here's a shot of the back
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I hate artwork like that, but it looks pretty good. I always cry a bit inside when someone paints over a yellow or green tele though
Quote by BGSM
I hate artwork like that, but it looks pretty good. I always cry a bit inside when someone paints over a yellow or green tele though

Unto each his own I guess. I had something I wanted and I let her do her own take on it because I know it's easier when you have some artistic freedom. I was thinking that swirly kind of thing she did a lot (mostly on the front, I let her do her own thing on the back) but more like vines. Swirly, floral design that was always connecting and overlapping. I really want to do a purple stain Tele with a mother of pearl pickguard and gold hardware.

EDIT: I did enjoy the yellow after a while but I wanted something different. I wasn't the shade of yellow I like. It was more solid than butterscotch. I do enjoy a nice butterscotch Tele.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 12, 2009,
It's very well done, she's certainly talented.

But she spelt dagger wrong. Haha, sorry.
I know. She would work late in to the night and I think she either second guessed herself or didn't realize it was spelled that way. She messed up that line twice but hid the first one masterfully. She misspelled something else but I'm the only one who would know. She messed up thrice and I ****ed up that paint job no telling how many times.

There are so many things that are ****ed up but for a first try I think it's pretty damn good. I'm terrible with my hands too.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BGSM

I cry a little as well, you are not alone.

However, I like it, but couldn't you have done that on paper? And like cut out templates and paint it? I know that would be hard as ****, but marker?
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
It was a paint pen. That would be way too much trouble.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by acidhendrix
I cry a little as well, you are not alone.

However, I like it, but couldn't you have done that on paper? And like cut out templates and paint it? I know that would be hard as ****, but marker?

No way man, it'd be impossible to get such detailed graphics like that with stencils.
Yea, and she doesn't plan drawings. Her first try is the best.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I had to fill a control plate hole since SX doesn't drill the exact same as Fender. My step dad is helping me drill the new hole. I'm not sure If I'm going to attempt drilling the extra holes in the headstock or not. I didn't know Sperzel had extra posts so I might pay a little more and have it done by the guy who's wiring everything.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
That looks really awesome, your girlfriend's done an amazing job. Just wondering, have you clearcoated over the pen?

As for installing the sperzels, its relatively easy, if you use the template they give you. Line up the tempate, centre punch the little hole, then drill with the right bit. All the little pin does is stop the tuner spinning.
Semi-Beatles tribute much?

Looks cool
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by supergerbil
That looks really awesome, your girlfriend's done an amazing job. Just wondering, have you clearcoated over the pen?

As for installing the sperzels, its relatively easy, if you use the template they give you. Line up the tempate, centre punch the little hole, then drill with the right bit. All the little pin does is stop the tuner spinning.

My step dad figured it out.

He also redrilled my control plate hole for me.

Metallica is featured more than The Beatles, the back just has the Beatles titles. Some bands are Metallica, The Beatles, Pantera, Alice in Chains, Opeth, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Death, Antestor and Slipknot. I couldn't fit all my influences but the ones on there are all pretty special to me an there's a story behind most of them.

And yes, I did clear coat over the pen. Badly. The finish on my part is horrible in my opinion. The clear coat is uneven and just ugly and the paint is messed up and nicked in places.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
looks sweet tho
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Anyone who thinks the finish looks passable, I owe pretty much all of it to Skeet UK's help in the painting thread. Ippon also aided me but Skeet definitely kept me from making the finish any worse.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So I finally got my GF bridge. (Two of them, WTF) Quite frankly, it's ugly as **** compared to my Gotoh and it looks like it would fall apart where the Gotoh looks like I could run over it and still use it. Is there any company that makes BLACK 5 screw Tele bridges? I've had trouble finding the bridge itself but they're all chrome. I found one on eBay so far but that's it.

Is it really that uncommon? I want a good bridge for this project and GF looks and feels like **** to me. Surely someone sells a decent bridge like this.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Small update.

My pickups still haven't gotten here. GF is taking an insane amount of time. I ordered them two weeks ago and they charge my mom's card a week ago and they can take up to 7 business days. I'm going to keep the ugly GF bridge and just deal with it until I find a better one.....I'm never upgrading a 5 screw Tele again unless it's chrome hardware.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
^ i feel for ya man, my first GF order took like 3 weeks to get in, the second one took 3 days....
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
And I was hoping their bridges weren't so ****ty. I don't have a choice though.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
That would be me sir. Considering I bought the guitar, bought the parts, painted the background, assembled it and will be the one playing it. That's exactly why I wanted her to sign it. If we break up I want it to be known the artwork is hers.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah, I was joking, anyways. You're gonna clear coat this right? Or did I already miss the part where you did that... Anyways, this is giving me dangerous ideas, because ATM I'm home alone with my Pacifica a handheld sander and lots of paint and such my Dad has left over from a job, I have always disliked the black finish it had...
^ I'm hoping you're not thinking of using house paint on a guitar?
------

Shwiggity.
>_> no, not that you've now said that.

What kind of paint is reccomended though? I mean, Krylon, just some basic Ace spray stuff? Or special paint?

Also, sorry for jacking your thread TC.
wow, awesome work on the guitar!! bravo!
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Quote by MadAudioMan
>_> no, not that you've now said that.

What kind of paint is reccomended though? I mean, Krylon, just some basic Ace spray stuff? Or special paint?

Also, sorry for jacking your thread TC.

I don't care haha keeps it from dying.

I did clear coat it but we sanded between every coat so it ended up way too thin. I'm not buffing it since it might buff right through. The painting/refinishing thread is the only reason my guitar looks like it does. Skeet UK guided me through so many things that were probably extremely mundane to him. I used Krylon white primer, flat white spray paint and gloss clear coat. Two or three cans of each.

Those damn pickups better get here quick.

EDIT: Sand that bitch down, get some grain filler on it then give it a nice stain and a matte finish. Sexeh
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 21, 2009,
your guitar is amazing and even with all the mistakes ya think ya got it came out beautifully, props to your gf. DONT LET HER GO! haha
Equipment
Carlo Robelli SG (Circa 1970's?)
Fender H.O.T. Amp
Yamaha G100-212-III
Ibanez Thrashmetal Pedal
Ibanez Flanger Pedal
Boss Master Switch/PowerSuppy
Boss Equalizer
Don't plan on it haha I noticed I misquoted To Live Is To Die. I put 'must call' instead of 'miscall'.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ok so the pickups aren't here and I'm pretty sure my order didn't go through which is bull****. I distinctly remember confirming that order but sadly I forgot to give an email address. (Isn't required which is odd) So now we're check my mom's card to make sure there wasn't a charge and I have to order the damn things again.....and wait even longer. If I had the money I'd just get some Duncans.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah, GFS took 2 months to get me my parts, no idea why. They're great pups though. They just took a trip through hell to get them.
I'm going to make sure the order didn't go through and re-order it if it didn't. I'm glad someone thinks they sound good.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So the order didn't go through for whatever reason but I ordered them just now and bumping it up to 2 day shipping. They better ****ing be here by tomorrow or Monday. Saturday if I get lucky since some people don't do Saturday.

Now that I have these damn pickups ordered for sure I can drop it off to be wired finally, re-drill holes to fit the GF bridge and string it up....Finally.

EDIT: I went with the Modern Vintage 'Lil Punchers. I want a nice Rock guitar and I wanted the cleans to be decent so that's what I went with. Once I get my Flextone I should have an ok rig going. Compared to my current one at least.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 24, 2009,
Sweet. Flextones own. The guitar is going well aswell. Personally I think chrome hardware would've looked cool though. Also, perhaps you should find a clear pickguard? to protect the art in that area.
Page 1 of 3