I just got a Vypyr 30W yesterday for my birthday, and it's cool, but I can't get a distorted tone that doesn't sound crappy to me. The cleans sound pretty fine to me, but anything with distortion sucks. I'm using an Ibanez RG-120 (I know, it's cheap, but it's not too bad). Can somebody help?
Sending a dummy to my God.

Too much of Treble or Bass?
To much distortion?
Is the Vyper a tube amp? If so crank it a bit
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
what are you setting your EQ to?

I've been messing with it all day. So I don't have it at any specific settings.

Turn the "suck" knob to 0.

I've worked with those amps before... just mess with the settings until you get something you like. If you can't find your sound, buy a distortion pedal.
maybe simply because you don't like it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I can tell you why it sounds like ass..

BECAUSE IT'S A VYPER!

(I really, really don't like vypers)

Anyway, helpful comment:
I don't think the vyper takes to pedals very well so if I was you I'd fiddle with the on-board effects before resorting to pedals.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Try the Recto amp on red with a squeeze stompbox, and scoop the mids a bit, I like the sound of this, but its on my single coil strat so I dont know how it will sound on your guitar
Quote by M Power
Does the playing going into the amp sound like ass?

to TS:
i f you REALLY cant get a good tone out of it, i think its not for you
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by SimplyBen
I can tell you why it sounds like ass..

BECAUSE IT'S A VYPER!

(I really, really don't like vypers)

Anyway, helpful comment:
I don't think the vyper takes to pedals very well so if I was you I'd fiddle with the on-board effects before resorting to pedals.

+1

my buddy has the vyper 30... and admittedly I think it sounds a tad better than a line6 spyder, but both are solid state...

both have digital preamps... and easily clip... and digital clipping is not pleasant.

your gtr might be too high output for the preamp.

-honestly you could try a compressor in front in order to limit the input but that's about it -not an amp I would own.

and afa pedals... I've built a bunch that sounded stellar on my tube combo, brought them down to show off to my buddy on his amp... I knew they wouldn't sound as nice as they did in front of a tube amp but had no idea they would sound like absolute crap going in to that amp.