Well to start things off, I play an Epiphone g400, pretty standard.

I lowered the action a bit, and adjusted the intonation so I can play metal and faster rock with it much easier, and because it has a fairly fast neck, it is incredible with these.

One thing though, I want to replace the stock pickups. Now, It's between some Dimarzio Evolutions, or EMG-HZs.

I think I'd like the Evo's because they're all around good, and can play just about anything with a large amount of kick, and also because they're the pickups my Hero, Steve Vai, uses in his Jems, and I love his sound.

But I also think I'd like the HZ's more for metal because, well, they get the output necessary for some of the lower, more technical guitar parts, and supply just enough extra kick for anything breakdown related. Also, EMGs are almost the signature pickup of metal.

I'm more sided to metal because the band I'm in is a Heavy metal, almost Deathcore band, and I'd like to be able to more orient my sound towards that.

Opinions?
You should only get Active EMG's, I have the Hz's on my Jackson and it's ok. but I have 81/85 on my Eclipse and it just so much better sounding, sharper and less muddy
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Like the above poster said. If you want EMG's you might as well go active. You can also look into the Semour Duncan Blackouts I herd those were pretty nice.
Would getting a battery cavity drilled sacrifice much tone wise?

Haha, besides making my SG way even less so it may just float up into the sky.
EMG's are hardly the signature pickup of metal. Maybe of ****ty over-gained *core, but not metal, that's for stuff like Seymour Duncans and Gibson pickups.

And HZ's wont handle drop tuning too well, they sound too flat.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by SoA_Joseph
Would getting a battery cavity drilled sacrifice much tone wise?

Haha, besides making my SG way even less so it may just float up into the sky.

You could probably stash the battery somewhere without having to drill any more holes.
My Stuff:
Epiphone SG
Jackson DK2M
Dean DOFlage ML
Dean Razorback db
VOX Valvetronix VT30
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP90

Add me...