Hey guys, I currently have a Vox AC30 (CC2) but for some reason feel like a change, I like the Vox but the fact that it is not footswitchable between the channels and it doesn't get as distorted as I would like, would a Dual Terror be a good alternative?
well the dual terror has more gain than the vox, and is also footswitchable, so it sounds like the right thing for you, although i would warn you that your cleans will suffer if you make the switch.

i have an ac15, and used to play a tiny terror, and i prefer the vox to the orange by a long way.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
what genres do you play?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I play a bit of everything, Against Me!, Allman Brothers, Band of Horses, Bad Religion, Sublime, RATM, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, The Clash, Between the Buried and Me, Mastodon, Social Distortion, Pearl Jam, Sleepercar, Sparta. Another option I was thinking of was to save for a bit and pick up a second amp.
the ac-30 is a good amp but it is not realy suited to the stuff you play, so a new amp would be a good idea
Get some good drives and you'll be fine. I play an AC30CC2, and play in a post-hardcore band. A second amp might be a good choice for the BTBAM stuff. Im saving for a Fryette Deliverance 60 for my chunky tones. However, for pretty much the rest of the stuff, a few good dirts work fine. I use a Catalinbread Silverkiss, Dirty Little Secret and a ZVex Mastotron
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by britishsligean
the ac-30 is a good amp but it is not realy suited to the stuff you play, so a new amp would be a good idea

What would a good alternative be? I had a Triple Recto, VHT Pittbull and Marshall MG back in the day, none have really worked out well for me.
Well, an AC30 would be nice with some good dirt pedals. I hear some nice and crunchy rock from people using pedals into their AC30. Maybe an Orange Rocker or Rockerverb?
Last edited by sg4ever at Sep 12, 2009,
well, the ac-30 is the better amp (i've got one, i love it) but that dual terror is unbeatable for the price. the tiny terror which it is based on is one of the most highly regarded amps made in recent years, and for good reason. the tone is simply out of this world. i would therefore recommend you the dual terror because
a) it's price to tone ratio is unbeatable... end of story
b) it's very light and portable, great for gigging
c) it's more versatile, since it has a 30, 15, and 7 watt setting.

EDIT: the dual terror will certainly have a LOT more gain by the way.

EDIT2: by the way, how much are you willing to spend? because if you're willing to spend $400 more you could get the Orange Rocker 30. imo, that amp is better than any marshall for the same price.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 12, 2009,
I'm just worried that a Dual Terror might be a step back from the Vox, I got a lot of thinking to do on this yet
I personally think that orange amps, in general, make some of the most amazing sounding amplifiers ever made.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Matt Gnarly
I'm just worried that a Dual Terror might be a step back from the Vox, I got a lot of thinking to do on this yet

it depends on the vox. if yours is made in China (which, disturbingly, is becoming increasingly prevalent with Vox) then the dual terror is heads (pun) above it. it will be a slight step back if yours is english made, but in reality it's all down to the tone you like. some will say the ac30 is not as good as the dual terror. give one a try at the store, if you've ever played the Tiny Terror, it's almost exactly the same, except its louder, with a slightly "fatter" sounds. personally i think orange is making the best built amps today in terms of build quality. they feel rock solid. i've got a buddy who has a rockerverb 50, and i wouldn't be surprised if it could survive a fall down a flight of stairs, and still be able to play straight away. very well built amps, that goes for the cabs to. no matter what amp head im playing through, i always use Orange cabs.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
although i would warn you that your cleans will suffer if you make the switch.

isnt a good portion of why the dual terror exists so the tiny terror could have better cleans?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
isnt a good portion of why the dual terror exists so the tiny terror could have better cleans?

yep. double the wattage = double the headroom. even still though, the cleans aren't as crystal clear as the vox. the vox also has things like Top Boost and other features that make the cleans even more impressive
The Dual Terror is ok.... The fact that it doesn't have 3 tone controls, only one, is the only reason that the amp didn't impress me. Also, the cleans aren't that great. If you buy a good dirt pedal for your AC30 I think you'll be happy.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
the orange tiny terror gets muddy and loses coherence in the low end way too easily, dunno if it's the same w/ the dual terror.
I had pretty much the same problem, i love my AC30 but really it just doesn't have enough gain and it is handy to be able to switch between clean and drive without having to roll the volume knob. I got a Rocker 30 and now i'm so so happy with it even though the cleans IMO aren't as nice as the AC30
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Matt Gnarly

All in, it is a step back. Saving for a nice used combo as a second amp is a better idea.
Quote by sg4ever
Well, an AC30 would be nice with some good dirt pedals. I hear some nice and crunchy rock from people using pedals into their AC30. Maybe an Orange Rocker or Rockerverb?

This. The AC30 needs a good overdrive/booster or two in front of it to become a great rock amp. With one nice overdrive it'll do everything the Dual Terror does, and then some. Absolutely no contest.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 13, 2009,