Page 1 of 2
Ok so I'm on the verge of quitting bass all together because i've been pissed off for so long. I bought an active fender deluxe jazz V bass awhile ago thinking that it was what I needed. I am only recently learning what kind of sound I want but am unable to make it. I play alot of Nu Metal/post grunge but don't necessarily want the muddiest loudest bass sound. I want clean sound which I assume means a fair amount of treble. Unfortunately turning up the treble I get the sound I want but it makes a god awful amp buzz and enough fret/slide/tap squeal to kill a rabid bear. I understand that jazz basses arnt the cleanest of basses but shouldn't I be able to get a descent clean sound?

On a second note I recently played an Ibanez sr500/505 at guitar center, and instantly got the clean, nice not to harsh not to light sound I've been dying for the second I picked it up.

On a third note. When I experimented and used a pick on my Fender jazz I do get that stupid pick sound but I also get a nice clean sound cutting through all the rumble.

So I can't help but stop and say WTF!
Last edited by Box 0 Wine at Sep 12, 2009,
Clean sound doesn't always equal lots of treble my friend! Because you're using an active bass, the battery will drive the sound through the amp a lot harsher, which is why your treble is killing your ears!

Back off on the treble and play around with your pickup/tone controls and set your amp at half on everything to figure out what you want from there. It just takes patience! Good luck bro!
I probably am. But what do you mean what am I playing. Like the amp, guitar, or music?
Fiddle with the EQ on your bass first, then on your amp.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I can try to back off the treble but as far as the pickup controls all I have is a blender knob which just pisses me off.
I don't mean to sound rude but I have fiddled around with knobs alot or I wouldn't be asking online. The trouble is I'm used to a 2 knob bass and a ****ty little amp so I have no idea what I'm doing
If it helps. I'm looking for a tool like clean bass sound. but all I can seem to do is devastate the room and apartment around me with unwanted bass sound
Well there's your problem! Most Ampegs I've played (that combo including) aren't really the best at having a clean. But yeah, don't turn your highs all the way up, they'll make you hear every little time you touch a string and move it. Perhaps turn your tone knob down a bit, though that will kill your clarity.

You have the same problem I did for awhile: clean and crisp, but no string noise. Sorry to tell you, but to have a clean crisp tone, you are going to have those string noise and stuff (like you can hear when you slide and whatever).

The only other clean tone I can think of is a muffled clean tone, in which case, you'll most likely need a passive bass and then you turn the tone knob down and use the EQ to shape a bit of highs in.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
lordofthefood that is horrible news. I bought an ampeg amp because I was told it was one of the best.
Quote by Box 0 Wine
lordofthefood that is horrible news. I bought an ampeg amp because I was told it was one of the best.

Their high-end amps are absolutely great. They're still not know as excellent amps for a really clean tone though. And their cheaper amps... are definitely not some of the best.

Who told you that that amp was one of the best? I hope it wasn't a music store employee...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Box 0 Wine
A sales guy at guitar center told me.

That's your problem. Unless you're extremely lucky, you usually don't get someone who knows a whole lot there.
I own the Ampeg BA-115 and I'd like to mention that it's ****ing great. Maybe some of their other low end models are not so good.

Just saying.

What's your EQ like?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Currently I keep everything at mid range. I dont really know what to do. The style knob switch confuses the **** out of me. I've messed around a bunch but can't seem to get anywhere
I also liked it. And I got a pretty good sound out of my banged up squier special I used to have but not out of a $900 Fender I upgraded to. So i'm confused
Quote by Box 0 Wine
Currently I keep everything at mid range. I dont really know what to do. The style knob switch confuses the **** out of me. I've messed around a bunch but can't seem to get anywhere
I think it's quite pointless to be honest. I just keep mine at 1. I can't stand any of the other four. Especially 3, it's far too muddy for my taste.

I keep my treble and mids at 5 and my bass at 7-8. It gets a good deep end, as well as a solid punch from the high end.

The only thing that I dislike about the amp is that it has only a three-band EQ. A 5 would be quite nice.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I also keep it at 1. thanks food1010 ill up my bass and keep everything at mid and see what that does. thanks
How old are your strings? New strings might be all you need to get alot of the sound you want, because your sound is impossible on dead strings.
I bought like 6 different types of strings to test out so they are bran new. I thought that was the problem to. Do you guys think getting an EQ pedal, like the boss one would help out?
Last edited by Box 0 Wine at Sep 12, 2009,
to TS: Please don't quit! Bassists are a rare occurrence and you cannot thin our herds!
Here's my suggestion: If you came up with a magical $450 (I assume US dollars), then might I suggest getting a Warwick combo. They're definitely going to give a big punch w/o making you cringe.
Secondly- the area of eq that you need to hone in on is not the treble, but the mids. Low mids fill a room, but can cause an unclear tone. Pure midrange gives a rounder sound, but can mud up the mix and cause nasty sub-harmonic hum. And, high mids...oh, i love these frequencies...there's the punch. With your ampeg, run the mid selector at 4/5 with the mid knob at 7...the bass at 5, and treble at 4. Then, adjust your bass's eq with a pushed treble, but lay off the tone knob a little. Raise the bass just before it gets muddy and you're set. But seriously, the sr505's are amazing. I am considering one for my backup to my Thumb.

EDIT: You're sound isn't impossible on dead strings...but is just harder to hone in on. And, keep in mind, new strings don't always sound the best. My DR's are best 2 weeks after a good pounding.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Last edited by aceofbass131 at Sep 12, 2009,
aceofbass131 yor a genius. It sounds amazing. thanks so much. I do have one question. do you think I should change the knobs on the bass, the amp or both? if i had a dollar id sure as f*uck give you one
TS look up thefitz's blog on Eq'ing. He knows his stuff and that particular blog includes what each specific frequency range does to your tone.
no sig for joo
thanks everyone. My bass is now amazing and I will now join the ranks and fill a spot of a bassist in need. thanks
Quote by aceofbass131
the area of eq that you need to hone in on is not the treble, but the mids. Low mids fill a room, but can cause an unclear tone. Pure midrange gives a rounder sound, but can mud up the mix and cause nasty sub-harmonic hum. And, high mids...oh, i love these frequencies...there's the punch.

Bingo. Before you decide to ditch your amp, I would set every control flat and play with your middle frequencies. Thats were the magic lies. Try boosting them, thats where i find the cleaner and crispier tones. New strings will help too.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Last edited by pedalguy1 at Sep 12, 2009,
once again thanks guys. I like the dudes article. I never thought that the mid would have anything to do with it. but thanks.
^it's a damn good article, but doesn't really give you a lot of info on how to EQ - just how to approach it with the right attitude (and useful stuff on how much to boost and cut by).

Personally I start out on the lowest frequencies (the lowest 2 on my 7 band graphic), then the highs (Highest 2 on my graphic) and then i adjust the mids to taste (the 3 remaining)
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Alex Vik
That's your problem. Unless you're extremely lucky, you usually don't get someone who knows a whole lot there.

It's not that they don't know alot, it's that if they see you nibbling at something you might possibly buy, then it automatically becomes the best in it's class... it's called being a salesman...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
^ Which is what talking to a non-salesman is for. I'm lucky to know a few of these that are really good bass players.
dunno if it's already been said...BUT

Why don't you take your bass, go to guitar center, and plug it into every amp you lay your eyes on? At least this way you'd know if you're bass just won't give you the tone you want, or you'll find out you just need a different amp
Quote by Box 0 Wine
well what would recommend if somehow I magically found like $450 for an amp?

you can get an acoustic(brand) b100 for like $200 at guitar center, i have one and it's good, it doesnt even have a distorted channel, just clean.
my gear:
sansamp liverpool
sansamp gt2
fender standard strat
squire vintage modified precision bass
laguna sunburst bass
acoustic b100
ehx bass big muff pi
Stick a set of flatwounds on your bass. That will lose the fretting noise a whole bunch and naturally give your tone a bit more warmth but you can still retain the high ends. If you can get over the inherent biases people have against putting flats on a bass for something other than Jaco impressions you will certainly be getting somewhere.

Secondly roll back the volume controls to 7 or 8. Just cos they go to 10 does not mean you have to always gun them right up. Rolling back the volume fattens the sound up, especially if you have an onboard preamp pushing your amp hard. TBH a lowerend Ampeg is not the best amp to get a clean tone with a lot of headroom. Ampegs are dirty amps so pushing the treble will sound nasty, with the inherent dirt in the amp turning to ugly fuzz.
Quote by Meddled
Stick a set of flatwounds on your bass. That will lose the fretting noise a whole bunch and naturally give your tone a bit more warmth but you can still retain the high ends. If you can get over the inherent biases people have against putting flats on a bass for something other than Jaco impressions you will certainly be getting somewhere.

Secondly roll back the volume controls to 7 or 8. Just cos they go to 10 does not mean you have to always gun them right up. Rolling back the volume fattens the sound up, especially if you have an onboard preamp pushing your amp hard. TBH a lowerend Ampeg is not the best amp to get a clean tone with a lot of headroom. Ampegs are dirty amps so pushing the treble will sound nasty, with the inherent dirt in the amp turning to ugly fuzz.

He's playing grunge and nu-metal, so he wants a tone that fits those genre's. To me flatwounds are best for old school rock and jazz, sure he could get a tone that would suit but it would be a lot more work then roundwounds.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
You can keep the amp you got--just get a passive bass. If you get real daring, swap out the tone knob with a Stellartone Tonestyler knob (available online) and you'll get all the sound from the bass you want. But your bass has to be passive in order for the Tonestyler to work.

I have a MIM Fender Deluxe PJ bass with passive pickups ('62 P vintage and a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Jazz Bridge PU) and a Tonestyler knob--I get everything from the Motown tone to the Geddy Lee growl from it, as well as everything in between. It has not failed to impress for live performances. I play them through a BRX-112 Carvin bass amp. 40 lbs and I hardly ever have to crank it past 2 or 3 on the volume knob. 10 will rattle the windows!

Anyways, good luck. Go passive.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Page 1 of 2