Poll Options
View poll results: Dingwalls?
Yes
41 54%
WTF?
35 46%
Voters: 76.
http://www.dingwallguitars.com/index.html

I vote yes. I really want a combustion now...
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Why do they have the frets spaced like they do? I didn't see it on their site anywhere. I'm assuming it somehow makes for better intonation or something.
I voted wtf

having said that I wouldn't say no
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by edgeyyz
Why do they have the frets spaced like they do? I didn't see it on their site anywhere. I'm assuming it somehow makes for better intonation or something.

They fan for a couple of different reasons I think, one of them is that it increases the scale length as you get to lower strings. Length is 34" for the G and I think it's somewhere around 40" on the E. At least on the model I tried.

I LOVE DINGWALLS.
^ That longer scale seems like it could be really painful/annoying though.
The slanted frets are called a multiscale.

I think they are nice but for the same reason i wont buy a bongo, i wouldn't buy a dingwall.
Most of our grandparents ou great-grandparents would look at today's cars and see them as egg shaped toys.

Ergonomic thinking is progress. The fanned finguerboard is good for sound and quite logical. It definitely could ve worse, but it's supposed to be better really... just not a Fender Bass!

This harder to play... full of detuning levers and all...

There were times that electric basses had to be Fenders in the studio. We're still growing away from that, and that is good!

Westone Rail Bass.... sliding pickup on a rail... beats a Kaos pad in a guitar.... maybe.
That's pretty awesome, I'll have to find one somewhere to try.

Edit: Nevermind, that may be very hard to do.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Sep 13, 2009,
I think fanned frets would do my head in.
Does anyone actually know a reason for it?

I was asking my teacher last year what the point is and even he didn't know.
...And I'm at a music college.

Different scale for each string? I guess that would sort of make sense in that the lower strings tend to generally be looser.

Also, I can imagine me with one of those.
"Oh my intonations out slightly. Well, better buy a new one"
Quote by The Sharkman
Westone Rail Bass.... sliding pickup on a rail... beats a Kaos pad in a guitar.... maybe.

Saw one on eBay a while ago. I almost bid on it.

Quote by Casketcreep
I think fanned frets would do my head in.
Does anyone actually know a reason for it?

I was asking my teacher last year what the point is and even he didn't know.
...And I'm at a music college.

Different scale for each string? I guess that would sort of make sense in that the lower strings tend to generally be looser.

Thats pretty much it. If you notice, almost all Dingwalls are either 5 or 6 strings. The fanned frets let you get an amazing low B without making the other strings impossibly tight.

And they're apparently a lot easier to get used to than they look. I've never tried one but There's a place sorta kinda near my grandparents house that sells them, so I'll try one out the next time I'm up there.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by kugelspot
Saw one on eBay a while ago. I almost bid on it.

Thats pretty much it. If you notice, almost all Dingwalls are either 5 or 6 strings. The fanned frets let you get an amazing low B without making the other strings impossibly tight.

And they're apparently a lot easier to get used to than they look. I've never tried one but There's a place sorta kinda near my grandparents house that sells them, so I'll try one out the next time I'm up there.

^ that

Also, it's a much more ergonomic. When you move up/down the neck on on of those, your arm/wrist is moving in a natural arc-like motion, instead of having to keep your wrist straight. From what I understand, this alone makes them much easier to get used to.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by The Jerk
How much will this bass cost?

Which bass?

The Combustion model that OP mentioned is well under $1500
Nope, no sig here.
Combustion... I did some research and they will be around 1200 street price...
Alot of people are intimidated by the slant/fanned fret system but I have to be honest, the Novax fret design feels quite natural. In fact, they call it ergonomically correct. There is no reason to be scared off from strapping a Dingwall on when and if you ever get luxury. Although I do not own one yet, they are fantastic basses. I've played several different models. The design is so NICE and eye goching. I will be ordering a custom Dingwall someday... theyre pricey but worth every penny.
So when the opportune moment comes, do not fear!
GEAR
Ibanez BTB1006EOL bass
Fender Victory Bailey acoustic bass
Squier Jazz bass
ESP LTD B-154DX bass
Ashdown John Entwistle pre
QSC PLX2 3102 power amp
Eden 210 & 118 cabs
Eden 112XLT combo
Taylor C410 acoustic
Ashdown Radiator1
i dont think i like the looks of the slant on them. it just looks uncomfortable to me but id try one, they look interesting and people are saying they sound good so they cant be to bad to play.
I want.

Edit: Found a pic of the dingwall geddy lee
Last edited by Aidonius at Apr 2, 2010,