Please let me know what you think the best bass amp is to get a nice clean sound. thanks
As are Hartke and ashdown among others.

Any examples of the sort of tone you're after?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i have no idea what kind of tone. I guess kind of like a tool like sound is all I can think of
Justin Chancellor (sp?) from Tool uses an absolute sh*t load of effects and i'm sure he uses Mesa amps.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Justin Chancellor (sp?) from Tool uses an absolute sh*t load of effects and i'm sure he uses Mesa amps.

I thought he used Ampeg SVT 2 pro's.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Justin from Tool uses Gallien Kruegers. The 2001RB head to be exact. His tone can be achieved with the 1001RBII as well. And of course his hand/pick. Unlike some bassists, though, his technique isn't really rough to copy.

Gallien Krueger, by the way, can be very clean.

Proofedit: http://www.gallien-krueger.com/artist_profile_chancellor.html
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Last edited by Cody_Grey102 at Sep 12, 2009,
Justin used Mesa 400+'s until he was sponsored by GK. Personally, to the Ashdown and acoustic comment...Yes, you can get clear, but you cant achieve actual punch with them. He's not looking for a jazz tone, he's looking to smash your face in! Try SWR (hard to find, though), Hartke (as previously mentioned), GK, Warwick, Markbass if you can afford it, and...another plug for Markbass...
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Good ol' Peavey.
I got some of the clearest tones out of my schools peavey bass amp.
Quote by aceofbass131
Justin used Mesa 400+'s until he was sponsored by GK. Personally, to the Ashdown and acoustic comment...Yes, you can get clear, but you cant achieve actual punch with them. He's not looking for a jazz tone, he's looking to smash your face in! Try SWR (hard to find, though), Hartke (as previously mentioned), GK, Warwick, Markbass if you can afford it, and...another plug for Markbass...

Ashdowns have no punch? I really beg to differ. As would George Biondo (Steppenwolf), James Lomenzo, Jimmy Bain, Robert Westerholt and the amazing Trey Gunn would disagree too. They all use Ashdowns have have at least some songs where they have a really punchy tone. The 220kHz knob can pretty much be renamed the punch control, and the 1.6kHz control as the bite control.
Quote by aceofbass131

My MAG 600 begs to differ.

And TS, Orange amps are incredibly clean for tube amps.
I think Orange have a slightly coloured tone myself. When someone says "clean" I think of Carvin, Ashdown or Hartke. Unless you are not defining clean as the same as transparent.
I don't really have a definition for clean. It clings more around the classic jazz tone for me. Like trebles and bass and 1-2 oclock and the mids at 9-10 o'clock.

Kind of like the generic bass tone.
Last edited by Bass First at Sep 13, 2009,
Carvin, Acoustic, Peavey, Hartke, and Gallien-Krueger are my top picks for that king of tone, but they're not the only ones. What's your budget?

Also, if you're budget-conscious, Carvin offers the best deals on their equipment than any other manufacturer I know of. You can get any tone you can possibly imagine out of them. They sound amazing...and not just for the price. amazing in general. I'd confidently compare my BX600's tone with that of any head costing 5x as much.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 13, 2009,
Every amp has its own clean sound, just like a guitar.
I had a clean Carvin, a clean GK.... then I liked a clean SWR Red Head....

Clean it yourself! Meaning: go to the store, find YOUR "clean", and that will almost surely NOT be your "clean" 5 years from now