I'm looking into getting a seven string and wanted to ask a couple questions

1. What death, melodeath, or techdeath bands play primarily seven strings that are good to draw influence from?

2. How are seven strings tuned in respects to a six string? Meaning, what tunings do some bands tune in and what are the individual strings tuned to?

3. What are some good songs to learn when if I get a seven string?

Thanks in advance!
Meshuggah is the obvious choice. Normally seven-string guitars are tuned like a six-string, except the bottom string being a B. Some bands tune down. Tip: if you want to challenge yourself to write something unique, try randomly turning the tuning pegs on your guitar. This changes everything!
Tiger style.
Morbid Angel, Mithras, Aeon, Scar Symmetry, Behemoth, SYL/solo Dev, Edge of Sanity I think, later Gorguts, good ol' Meshuggah, Nevermore, Suicide Silence (bleh), all off the top of my head.

Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Meshuggah, Nevermore are in A# standard.

Aeon, Scar Symmetry, Edge of Sanity are B standard.

Suicide Silence are drop A, as are Scar Symmetry, occasionally.

Gorguts are in G standard. Dev's stuff is in open C with the added low G, so GCGCGCE.

Mithras are a funny one, as they tune it like a 6 string in A#, but with an extra high string.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 12, 2009,
i wouldn't suggest getting a seven string until you know a little bit more about it

1. All Shall Perish, Unearth, Trivium (although not my favorite), some of Nile, some Cannibal Corpse, Scale the Summit (not really death metal tho), Whitechapel, A Different Breed of Killer, some Dream Theater and more

2. Same as a regular 6 string in E standard with an added low B. Some bands drop it a half or full step, some bands drop the low B to an A, there are plenty of other tunings

3. Too many, dont feel like listing them, but again, i wouldn't get a 7 string until your ready for one

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
This is probably a dumb question but, I listen to a lot of Scar Symmetry and Behemoth, but can I get an example as to when they actually use that extra low string?
Quote by TheRavager
This is probably a dumb question but, I listen to a lot of Scar Symmetry and Behemoth, but can I get an example as to when they actually use that extra low string?

First 10 seconds of Slaves Shall Serve. 90% of SS's riffs.

Behemoth switch between C# on a 6 and A# on the 7s. It's fairly easy to hear the difference.

I suggest you have a look at the tunings thread in the metal forum,
Behemoth's Evangelion is primarily, if not entirely, in A#. I remember distinctly that Seth used a 7 string Viper and Nergal his 7 string ESP while playing Ov Fire and the Void.

But yea, Tunings thread will help you better.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Thanks a lot for the help everyone, I think I'll learn more abouth both the 6 and 7 string before I pick up the 7.
Faceless
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
Faceless

You mean that band that's in Drop C?

You know, on a 6?
Quote by webbtje
You mean that band that's in Drop C?

You know, on a 6?

Opps my bad
Ugh im pretty sure Amon Amarth use 7 strings.. They sound more viking metal like then death metal like.

I'm pretty sure i'm wrong but, isn't Divine Heresy also a 7 string death band?
Since dino uses 7 string ibanezes..
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
no amon amarth plays 6's in B standard

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
White Chapel uses 7 strings. I dont think they're as bad as everyone says they are. Just a little redundant with lyrical themes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Quaned
I'm pretty sure i'm wrong but, isn't Divine Heresy also a 7 string death band?
Since dino uses 7 string ibanezes..

I believe at the moment Dino likes to switch between 7s and 8s a bit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheRavager

slaves shall serve

chant for ezkaton

at the left hand ov god

many others i dont remember
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by romero869
this thread shall perish as it's 4 years old

ftfy

Why don't people look at how old a thread is before they post in it?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
More like, how do they find these threads? Do they just go googling for "Necro threads that I'm interested in"?