Just wondering what the differences were, because the esp les paul shaped guitars have AMAZING paintjobs and finishes
Quote by ghostnineone
i got my guitar caught in my ceiling fan today

guitars fine though
look in the specs....

im guessing your referring to the esp eclipse?

hardware, pickups, wood quality.......

les pauls have large necks, esps have the same basic shape but smaller ( i find )

also, les pauls are made more for types of rock, while the eclipse is a metal machiene (it has emgs... a classic high gain pickup ).

the eclipse to me, is a metal les paul. locking tuners, easier access , higher output , lighter...
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by allskillage
look in the specs....

im guessing your referring to the esp eclipse?

hardware, pickups, wood quality.......

les pauls have large necks, esps have the same basic shape but smaller ( i find )

also, les pauls are made more for types of rock, while the eclipse is a metal machiene (it has emgs... a classic high gain pickup ).

the eclipse to me, is a metal les paul. locking tuners, easier access , higher output , lighter...

My Gibson LP is very light believe it or not. However it is because of the fact that it is chambered
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Quote by Butters8754
My Gibson LP is very light believe it or not. However it is because of the fact that it is chambered

lol oh yeah i forgot. did they start that in 07 or 08?

im to used to my teachers custom.
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
I personally dont like the ESP. Its very comfortable, and thin and designed to be a slimmer ligher LP style guitar. It doesnt feel right if you're used to a Gibby LP.
I'd love an ESP, but I'd rather have a Gibby with some new high gain PU's in it.
Since you're from the US of A the main big differences are with the shape of the body with ESP obviously having that shorter lower horn and also having a fairly large tummy cut. But really the Eclipse and the Les Paul are both different guitars and shouldn't be compared with each other.
I've never played one, but I can imagine the ESPs fretboard is wider and flatter, and the neck is thinner.
For me, les pauls have never felt right. the neck is too thick imo and they are pretty chunky and heavy. this is probably just because I have always played strats. However, I've played an ec-1000 before and it felt amazing, way better than gibson lps. If it wasn't for those emgs......
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
You can get them without EMG's installed.

And then there's ESP's Edwards and Navigator lines in Japan. Alot of Edwards have made their way to the US. I owned this one for awhile and it was a great guitar. Paid $685 for it on eBay. It was easily the equal of the two Gibsons I had at the same time.

Benford Strat x 2
Burton Strat
Burton Tele
Malden Karma
Lawrence Tele
Squier Deluxe Strat

Valve Junior/Bitmo Modded
Bugera V55HD/412H-BK
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Since you're from the US of A the main big differences are with the shape of the body with ESP obviously having that shorter lower horn and also having a fairly large tummy cut. But really the Eclipse and the Les Paul are both different guitars and shouldn't be compared with each other.

You are just mad because you live in Australia... He was just asking what the differences were.
Quote by allskillage
lol oh yeah i forgot. did they start that in 07 or 08?

im to used to my teachers custom.

Not sure to be honest. I emailed Gibson because I didnt know it was chambered and was freaking out. Mine was "born" in 2008 in November.
And you're right

Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
Quote by Butters8754
Not sure to be honest. I emailed Gibson because I didnt know it was chambered and was freaking out. Mine was "born" in 2008 in November.

Les Paul "supreme"s are chambered.... a guy tried to sell me his used one for $5500 though it was cheaper online for a brand new one.... I wasn't interested.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
A LOT of LPs are chambered and have been for years.... I don't know off the top of my head but I would assume that every single one, aside from the reissues and customs perhaps, are chambered.
My LP is chambered as well, but in terms of the two axes its apples and oranges. Buy what you prefer.
Gibson.
Quote by Dakkstar
Les Paul "supreme"s are chambered.... a guy tried to sell me his used one for $5500 though it was cheaper online for a brand new one.... I wasn't interested.

So is mine. Which is not a supreme
And you're right

Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
Quote by stratman7
A LOT of LPs are chambered and have been for years.... I don't know off the top of my head but I would assume that every single one, aside from the reissues and customs perhaps, are chambered.

I believe the "standard" isn't but I'm not positive on that. You are right on the re-issues.

Is the EC-1000 finish just a print or is it a veneer? Anyone know?

Sold a nice white EC1000 today to a kid, couldn't be more than 14. Man was he one happy little camper when he left.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Gibson is a much better guitar.
Gibson build quality is second to none.
The ESP won't last half as long trust me.

But really it depends on your budget as well, the ESP will be considerably cheaper.

I love my Gibson LP
I love white guitars!
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent

But really it depends on your budget as well, the ESP will be considerably cheaper.

I love my Gibson LP

I've played some great Gibsons and I've played some crappy Gibsons. Even the great ones I've played were not worth the price tag. I find ESP quality to be much more consistent.

But honestly... I'd rather have a Carvin.
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent

I love my Gibson LP

The ESP isn't necessarily cheaper. The ESP Standard Eclipse starts at $1500. That's more than a Les Paul Studio but less than a Standard. But the ESP Custom Eclipse is more expensive than the a lot of Gibson Customs. Japanese guitars are on par with American guitars. The reason Japanese guitars are usually cheaper is because labor costs are less. There is nothing about a Gibson that will last longer than an ESP. They don't use higher quality parts than the ESP. Their frets are just as susceptible to wear and the the metal components will rust and wear at the same time. The wood isn't stronger and they don't use miracle glue. The Gibson has a nitro finish that will crack, fade, and discolor over time. That won't happen to the ESP. If Gibson is a much better guitar, how come plenty of guitarists choose ESPs over them when they can afford any guitar in the world?
Dude trust me that those 2 are way different From each other. I would personally go for a ESP Eclipse Standard than any les Paul that isn't a Gibson les paul custom. I have no interest in any les Paul other that the custom (or les paul axcess, even though a les paul with a FR is totally different From a normal les paul ). The eclipse is like $1200 so it's pretty cool with me. I like the black satin finish on it it is just AWESOME!
Quote by JELIFISH19
The ESP isn't necessarily cheaper. The ESP Standard Eclipse starts at $1500. That's more than a Les Paul Studio but less than a Standard. But the ESP Custom Eclipse is more expensive than the a lot of Gibson Customs. Japanese guitars are on par with American guitars. The reason Japanese guitars are usually cheaper is because labor costs are less. There is nothing about a Gibson that will last longer than an ESP. They don't use higher quality parts than the ESP. Their frets are just as susceptible to wear and the the metal components will rust and wear at the same time. The wood isn't stronger and they don't use miracle glue. The Gibson has a nitro finish that will crack, fade, and discolor over time. That won't happen to the ESP. If Gibson is a much better guitar, how come plenty of guitarists choose ESPs over them when they can afford any guitar in the world?

Because ESP hand our endorsement deals like it's going out of fashion.
A friend of mine got an endorsement deal with them and he'd never even owned one before!
I love white guitars!
Endorsements have nothing to do with anything because a lot of people who play ESPs aren't endorsed by them. People don't pick ESPs because they're a Gibson substitute. We're not talking Epiphone and Gibson. We're talking about 2 high end companies. They are very different guitars. The only thing they share in common is the shape. Comparing them is like comparing a Fender Strat to a Jackson. Different strokes for different folks. A lot of people won't play a Gibson not because of price, but because Eclipses feel better and play better. Let's face it, Gibson has been using the same formula for 50 years. Players' needs have changed in the last 50 years. Gibsons aren't for everyone. But now, Gibson isn't at the top anymore, so we're lucky that we have so many options for high-end guitars.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Endorsements have nothing to do with anything because a lot of people who play ESPs aren't endorsed by them. People don't pick ESPs because they're a Gibson substitute. We're not talking Epiphone and Gibson. We're talking about 2 high end companies. They are very different guitars. The only thing they share in common is the shape. Comparing them is like comparing a Fender Strat to a Jackson. Different strokes for different folks. A lot of people won't play a Gibson not because of price, but because Eclipses feel better and play better. Let's face it, Gibson has been using the same formula for 50 years. Players' needs have changed in the last 50 years. Gibsons aren't for everyone. But now, Gibson isn't at the top anymore, so we're lucky that we have so many options for high-end guitars.

You've made a good point.
Now all TS needs to do is decide whether he wants the classic or the modern distorion machine.
I love white guitars!
Your obviously a Gibson fanboy, all I can say is GTFO.

Quote by Eat_0n_Kent

I love my Gibson LP
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Your obviously a Gibson fanboy, all I can say is GTFO.

As much as I love my ESP guitars everyone's allowed to have an opinion no matter how misguided it may be ( )
To say "The ESP won't last half as long trust me." seems a very strange opinion, more like hes stating it as a fact. What does this guy use guitars for, paddles?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
As much as I love my ESP guitars everyone's allowed to have an opinion no matter how misguided it may be ( )
Quote by stratman7

Depends on what you mean by chambered.

There are weight relief holes, which virtually all Les Pauls have, and there are chambers. They're not the same thing. Weight relief holes are exactly what they sound like - holes drilled into the body, underneath the top, to reduce the weight of the guitar. These have no significant effect on tone. I have played a whopping one Les Paul that did not have these weight relief holes - a battered Standard from the late '80 - and it was heavy. It was awesome, but incredibly heavy. My 2008 LP Traditional Plus has weight relief holes, but is not chambered.

Chambered Les Pauls have areas carved into the body in specific shapes and places, designed to resonate. They act much in the same way that a semihollow or hollow body guitar would; it is essentially a partially hollow guitar. This can have a massive effect on tone - chambered guitars are warmer and not as bright as unchambered.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 14, 2009,