Ok, i'm a guitar player, and i'm starting bass. It's come to my conclusion that a squier bass is most likely the best for starting out. So far I have around a couple hundred dollars to spend on a bass and amp. I've decided between these two basses.
The http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass-103726642-i1166456.gc ,
And the http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-103726584-i1166457.gc .
Now, what I want to know what the differences are (tone, playability), and advice on a good somewhat cheap amp to use it with. If these are not good basses, please recommend others that are around the same price range as money is quite the issue.
Amps will have to be ~$150 and if that's too low then I might be able to squeeze some dollars in.
Thanks.
P.S. What is the difference between a p bass and a j bass? Thanks again.
Easiest way to describe is this:

Precision is more for rock, slightly more trebly tone

Jazz *can* be for jazz, but personally I think the tone sounds great when distortion is applied. Since you're just starting out, I would say it doesn't really matter that much.
P-bass: Punchy, thumpy tone, big neck. Works well in about every genre.

Jazz bass- Tones ranging from smooth to growly, slimmer neck. Works well in about every genre.

Both are great basses, fit in almost everywhere. Either way your picking a winner.

As far as amps go, check out Orange's line of practice amps. They sound great, and are fairly loud.
i have a modified j bass (second link) and i love it. i haven't had a single problem with it yet. however, i dont like the block inlays on the second link. mine has a neck like the first link and the body is red. so i would go for the second one. also, p bass usually has humbuckers and a jazz bass has single coil.
Quote by 08don
i have a modified j bass (second link) and i love it. i haven't had a single problem with it yet. however, i dont like the block inlays on the second link. mine has a neck like the first link and the body is red. so i would go for the second one. also, p bass usually has humbuckers and a jazz bass has single coil.

A p bass has a p pickup, not humbuckers
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
A p bass has a p pickup, not humbuckers

I believe that they act as a humbucker though, as do two jazz pickups at equal volume. In terms of hum-cancel, not sure sound wise though. I'm probably wrong.
Quote by edgeyyz
I believe that they act as a humbucker though, as do two jazz pickups at equal volume. In terms of hum-cancel, not sure sound wise though. I'm probably wrong.

Yeah the split coil helps cut out hum, but don't sound like humbuckers.

Actually tbh I find that P pickups sound like a quite nice medium between true single coils and humbuckers.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Last edited by gilly_90 at Sep 13, 2009,
For amps I'd look at Wawrick, Acoustic and Ashdown, they all do some decently prices combos
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^and Hartke^
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I have the vintage modified jazz bass and like it. i had to file down the fret edges because they were sticking out a little bit but that took ten minutes besides that, its a good bass for the money.