Ok, so I've been playing on and off for around 2 years now. And about a year ago, I started getting into metal, and have been in a metal/ hardcore band ever since. We are starting to record, and I like what we're coming up with, but I need something more technical, so I want to learn sweep picking. Any good suggestions on where to start, websites, books, etc.? And help would be awesome, thanks!
Play chord shapes that you know, while sweep picking. Take it really slowly, make sure only one note is sounding at a time, that all the strings not sounding are muted, that the note lasts until the next one starts (legato rather than stacatto), and that your picking hand makes one continuous motion from the lowest to highest string you're using.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Play chord shapes that you know, while sweep picking. Take it really slowly, make sure only one note is sounding at a time, that all the strings not sounding are muted, that the note lasts until the next one starts (legato rather than stacatto), and that your picking hand makes one continuous motion from the lowest to highest string you're using.

Ok, thanks man! I'll give it a try. I suppose just like anything else, it'll take time
thanks for the help!
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
Ok, thanks man! I'll give it a try. I suppose just like anything else, it'll take time
thanks for the help!

The most important thing, is to take it really slow, and being able to consistently play it perfectly. Then speed it up. Also, always play with a metronome.

This applies to sweeping as well as any other technique on the guitar, or any instrument for that matter.
^That. Start out so slow you don't ever mess up; then gradually speed it up.

When you do get it down, try not to overuse it, like many sweepers do.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
Quote by Veil Of Osiris
^That. Start out so slow you don't ever mess up; then gradually speed it up.

When you do get it down, try not to overuse it, like many sweepers do.

Oh don't worry, I will NOT overuse it. I can't stand when bands do that. Thanks all for the help!
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
Well, it's not so much the riffs, as much as there's just not much to our solo's, and I think sweeping would add a 'lil something to it

Unlikely - concentrate on learning to write solid, melodic, interesting solos before worrying about fluff like sweeping.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com