Hey guys, I'm really lookin for a nice little TUBE amp... something I can carry around easily, like bring it close to my comp so I can learn some tabs, but nice tube tones so I can also use it to record etc..

I play stoner metal and hard rock (have a prs standard 22 with dragon 2's)

Any suggestions? I sorta want a mesa boogie, but they seem to be at LEAST $600

also, considering an Orange brand amp - But again, they are a bit pricey

i'd appreciate any advice

thanks
Maybe a fender superchamp and like a big muff pedal? It has a few nice gain voices, but not suitable for metal metal. They run about 299 new. Idr if it's like a true tube, but I'm pretty sure it is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong lol
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by chuckmehh
blackstar ht-5

/thread
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^No. Blackstar will be too loud to just have right next to you like that if you don't want to blow out your eardrums.

I'd suggest what was said above about a Fender Champ, or a Vox AC4TV. I haven't personally tried either of them, but I've heard solid stuff about the Champ, and the AC4TV has gotten rave reviews.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The fender champ 600 is only like $150. It has a high gain and a low gain channel too.
Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
Quote by Natrone
^No. Blackstar will be too loud to just have right next to you like that if you don't want to blow out your eardrums.

I'd suggest what was said above about a Fender Champ, or a Vox AC4TV. I haven't personally tried either of them, but I've heard solid stuff about the Champ, and the AC4TV has gotten rave reviews.
are you kidding me? it's 5 watts, if you honestly think that will blow out your ear drums you either have a set of weak ears or have never actually played one right next to you.

I've cranked one to 10 quite easily, in a small isolated room through the two mini cabs as well as through a 1960 w/ two Celestion heritage g12h30s and two heritage greenbacks in an X, it's not that loud at all. I mean... it might be too loud if you're expecting to crank it late at night and don't want to disturb other people in the room next to you. Otherwise it's about as quiet as a 5 watt amp is going to get.
Fender Champ
Vox AC4
Blackstar HT-5

On a side note, im seeing alot of Fender Hot Rod Deluxes going on craigslist cheap. Maybe, you can snag something used?
Quote by al112987
are you kidding me? it's 5 watts, if you honestly think that will blow out your ear drums you either have a set of weak ears or have never actually played one right next to you.

I've cranked one to 10 quite easily, in a small isolated room through the two mini cabs as well as through a 1960 w/ two Celestion heritage g12h30s and two heritage greenbacks in an X, it's not that loud at all. I mean... it might be too loud if you're expecting to crank it late at night and don't want to disturb other people in the room next to you. Otherwise it's about as quiet as a 5 watt amp is going to get.

Wait.....why did I think it was 15? Anyway, alright blow your eardrums is excessive, but I have a 5w tube amp, and I would never want it closer than 3 feet away from me for an extended period of time without my Weber MiniMASS doing its job. Then again, I've had some ear problems in the past that have made them kinda sensitive.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
5 watts too loud? Are you kidding me? I play my b52 at 112 (60 watts tube) cranked to 7 or 8 all of the time in a small room and it never bothers me.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Dammit I hate you guys for making me want to get the Blackstar.

Youre all a bunch of GAS Enablers, you know!
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by billy0805
The fender champ 600 is only like $150. It has a high gain and a low gain channel too.

Its a clean amp. Not his cup a tea.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
IMO for stoner metal you really need a 'big' sound,and I can't imagine a weedy little 5w amp doing that very well.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Vox AC4
Blackstar ht5
Fender Superchamp XD

I also a free with the above post that stoner rock needs a big sound. Maybe look into the Bugera V22.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Ian hawkins
IMO for stoner metal you really need a 'big' sound,and I can't imagine a weedy little 5w amp doing that very well.

I'm sure a "weedy" little amp would be perfect for his stoner metal
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by The Red Comet
I'm sure a "weedy" little amp would be perfect for his stoner metal

lulz

Blackstar HT-5 again. Haven't heard a bad thing about them ever. I have a friend who has a 6505 halfstack who says his HT-5 is unbelievable.
Orange TT Combo is very nice - however I would rule Orage off your list, because unless you are willing to use pedals it won't really get heavier than Hard rock tones when cranked. Enough to do squealling pinch harmonics - but it doesn't have the right tone for metal, it's too vintage... got a lovely texture too it.

It does stoner rock etc. very nicely! But I have no idea how stoner metal sounds in comparison. I you don't need the high gain smooth tone of people like EVH then it is worth a check however, though sadly I think it is a little too loud to get the best of it's tone in bedroom setting.
Im pretty sure this thread should be in GG&A. Please read the forum rules before you make threads
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus