Can not changing your your guitar strings effect the guitar itself in any way?

Basically, can old, used, worn out strings harm an electric guitar?
I don't know, but they'll sound like crap.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Yeah, I'm just a lazy mofo and don't change the strings, but still pick it up and play, and everytime I do I'm just like "this sounds like crap" and just set it down and still don't change the strings, rofl. I probably wouldn't be as lazy if it wasn't a floyd rose, but meh, I'll get around to it. I just want to be sure it's not harming my guitar, because then I'll have an even bigger problem if it does.
No I don't think it will harm it, it will just sound dull and without clarity
I like the sound of "old" strings. I think new strings sound too bright and metallic. FWIW, I only play electric and use DiAddario EXL115W's. They're 11-49 and have a wound third. I tune to E flat. I probably play about 1 or 2 hours a day. Sometimes more and sometimes less. I usually only change the strings when the fretboard needs conditioning which is about twice a year.

I've heard of people changing strings every week or two and to me that's insane. Not only would it be expensive, but to me, changing strings is a huge hassle and why someone would want to do that all the time is to put it bluntly, retarded.
Quote by Rick540
I like the sound of "old" strings. I think new strings sound too bright and metallic. FWIW, I only play electric and use DiAddario EXL115W's. They're 11-49 and have a wound third. I tune to E flat. I probably play about 1 or 2 hours a day. Sometimes more and sometimes less. I usually only change the strings when the fretboard needs conditioning which is about twice a year.

I've heard of people changing strings every week or two and to me that's insane. Not only would it be expensive, but to me, changing strings is a huge hassle and why someone would want to do that all the time is to put it bluntly, retarded.

I work at a studio at the moment as their "in house guitarist" and honestly you have to change strings a lot. I play a lot and change them every week, or before a big even or show. New strings do sound a lot brighter but you can just do some light EQ'ing and get a great lively sound that you cant get with worn out strings. That and I can do slides and bends without having gunk up and down the strings. Its nice and smooth.

And yeah, its a pain in the ass but its worth it.

Thats just my 2 cents.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
changing strings often can cost quite a bit, kind of like smoking cigarettes - you can go without it, but it is noticeable; whether you're about feel or tone, it makes a difference. it's good to change strings every month at least, but you can live without it. rule of thumb though, if they're rusty, it's time to buy a new pack. slinky's will cost you no more than $6 a pack.
It's all about feel
I change my strings every 3 weeks i play for 3-4 hours everyday and when i am done i always wipe the strings and the guitar down really well and store it in its case a good idea if you want to get a decent life out of your strings even when i change them they still look almost new.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808