I'm looking to buy my very first stack, and am wondering what you guys might recommend.

P.S. I want something that sounds good playing metal.
a) nobody NEEDS a stack, not anymore at least
b) you might wanna tell us your price range, playing style, guitars, etc.
Well like I said I want something that sounds good playing metal, and my price range is pretty broad so any input is welcome.
Quote by MetalGuitarest
price range??? but for a stack.. maybe a solid state randall amp.. very good for metal and cheap in price..

Not too familiar with Randall but wouldn't he be better off going tube?

Here's my question: Why?

EDIT: Broad is a broad word. (Obvious statement is obvious ) That could mean 300 to 800 or 800 to 1500. Or 300 to 1500 for that matter.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 13, 2009,
randall SS amps IMO are better for metal than 6505s, but yeah price range is kind of a must, and broad doesn't do anyone any good
Quote by Workhorse
Well like I said I want something that sounds good playing metal, and my price range is pretty broad so any input is welcome.

that really doesn't help. broad could either mean $200 or $2000. the best metal amp i've ever seen or played is the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, so i will recommend you that. there is also the Marshall Mode Four, which is 350 watt solid state (equivalent in volume to 120 watt tube amp) then there is also the Peavey JSX, and lastly the Mesa Boogie Roadking. all of these are priced very differently. i can help more when you list some numbers
Quote by kurtebirdi
randall SS amps IMO are better for metal than 6505s, but yeah price range is kind of a must, and broad doesn't do anyone any good

I'll just take your word since I'm quite ignorant to amps nor have I even seen a Randall with my own eyes.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Whats ur exact budget and what type of metal do u play?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
Whats ur exact budget and what type of metal do u play?

Indeed. Could be NWOBHM, Brutal Death Metal or Progressive Metal. Different amps for different sounds.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Exact Budget?
Specific Genres/Bands you play?
Gigging or not?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by kurtebirdi

coming from a guy who owns a 6505 and has played solid state randals, i very much disagree with this statement.
Quote by MetalGuitarest
as said above that NOBODY needs a stack anymore. If he wants a stack. let him get it.

im just saying. he says he "NEEDS" one, but these days they're just plain impractical. it's not like im telling him he's just plain not allowed to have one
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157650

1. Go find an amp on that list, research it, and see if you like the tone through a soundclip.

2. Then, go try the amp in person or if you're 100% you love the amp, even through the soundclip, then buy it.

If you don't like the tone through the soundclip, then find a different amp and repeat step 1.

This guy skipped the other steps and went straight to Profit!
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
im just saying. he says he "NEEDS" one, but these days they're just plain impractical. it's not like im telling him he's just plain not allowed to have one

How so? I'd rather carry a 20 pound head and then push a 20 pound cab than carry a 40 pound combo (keep in mind that these weights are rough as I have no idea what stacks weigh, but I know some of those combos can get pretty heavy). Also, there are a lot of heads that don't have combo versions of themselves. Plus, once you get a good cab, heads are usually cheaper than combos.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
How so? I'd rather carry a 20 pound head and then push a 20 pound cab than carry a 40 pound combo (keep in mind that these weights are rough as I have no idea what stacks weigh, but I know some of those combos can get pretty heavy)

i mean in terms of volume. in most venues, even a 20 watt club combo will be too loud for the rest of your band. a big raging stack is particularly useless in a studio. they're just TOO loud. especially when it's high wattage. a big stack looks cool, but odds are, in most places you will just end up with the disappointment of unsatisfactory tone because it's just too loud to crank. with modern mics and PA Systems, you can get away with using 15 watt combos in big venues.

by the way, some amp heads alone can weigh 80 lbs.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i mean in terms of volume. in most venues, even a 20 watt club combo will be too loud for the rest of your band. a big raging stack is particularly useless in a studio. they're just TOO loud. especially when it's high wattage. a big stack looks cool, but odds are, in most places you will just end up with the disappointment of unsatisfactory tone because it's just too loud to crank. with modern mics and PA Systems, you can get away with using 15 watt combos in big venues.

by the way, some amp heads alone can weigh 80 lbs.

See my edit for other reasons. And not every stack is a full 100+ watts or more. Isn't Marshall coming out with some 15 watt head soon?

By the way, as I said, I've got no clue how much some stacks weigh. I'll know by next year though, as I'll probably be getting one sometime in March.

PS: Welcome back.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
See my edit for other reasons. And not every stack is a full 100+ watts or more. Isn't Marshall coming out with some 15 watt head soon?

By the way, as I said, I've got no clue how much some stacks weigh. I'll know by next year though, as I'll probably be getting one sometime in March.

PS: Welcome back.

not ALL stacks are impossible to use, i know, i've got 1, but i know realistically it isn't necessary since there is also a combo version of it. but since TS is saying he "NEEDS" a stack, plays metal, and doesn't even know how much he wants to spend, i can only assume that he is looking for one that is at least 70 watts.
this is going to sound condescending but honestly if you really needed a stack, you would already know what kind of amp you wanted and would not even be asking this question.
Ampeg VH140 if you go Solid State I guess.
And if there's no limit get a Diamond Nitrox!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Workhorse
I'm looking to buy my very first stack, and am wondering what you guys might recommend.

P.S. I want something that sounds good playing metal.

Based on this, you don't need a stack. If you don't have a vague idea of what you are looking for then start again.

Also, a stack isn't the be-all and end-all of guitar amplification.
i tell you now, "stack" is a broad word.

half stack, fullstack?

1x12 cabs or 4x12 cabs?

tube or SS?

Heads range from £300 to £3000.

Cabs start at £120 and go to £999.

if you want a stack to sound good, you need something mid range.

if you have a low budget, definately get a combo.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I don't know what people will say here but i have a Marshall AVT150 Head that i run through a 2x12 (with Celestion Classic Lead 80's) and that actually gives a nice tone (IMO) even at low volumes. It's 'Valvestate' which means it has an actual tube (rather than a modeller) preamp and a solid state poweramp. I'm not sure if it makes all that much difference but I like the tone.

You can usually pick up AVT150H's for £150-200 on ebay in good nick second hand - just make sure it's original series and not this new 'tribute series', the tribute series aren't quite right somehow. I can't really reccomend a cab though because this one I have appears to have been bought just for the cab itself and then changed, I'm unsure as to what the cab actually is.

hope that helps
Dude, tell us what you exactly want, otherwise it's hard to help you.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz