I am still having a very frustrating habit of holding my neck far too tight with my thumb and it's causing my wrist to hurt quite significantly when I'm fretting, this in turn is also causing my fingers to clamp hard to equalize the pressure. While I know it's not necessary to hold it so tight to get the notes to ring it's become subconcious and I don't realize I'm doing it until I think about my left hand, then I can relax and still get the same tone. does anyone have any tips on something I can do to break this habit?

Thanks in advance.
Actively pay attention to how much pressure you use. Think about it as you play.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Kgoodrich
Does anyone have any tips on something I can do to break this habit?

Thanks in advance.

yes, stop it

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Actively pay attention to how much pressure you use. Think about it as you play.

won't that distract me from actually playing?

Quote by SPBY
yes, stop it

Thanks.
Quote by Kgoodrich

Thanks.

It will at first, but it's a very nasty habit and actively paying attention to it is probably the best (and only) way to get rid of it. Eventually it will become a second nature and your playing will be normal again.
Quote by DYin
It will at first, but it's a very nasty habit and actively paying attention to it is probably the best (and only) way to get rid of it. Eventually it will become a second nature and your playing will be normal again.

that's a good point, I will try that.
Quote by Kgoodrich

Thanks.

No, thinking is part and parcel of playing properly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Keep your thumb extended away from the body and learn more songs that don't require chords so you don't clamp at all when you play and you'll unlearn the habit by learning new ones.
Hope I helped.