Hey guys, I'm not gigging or anything yet but my current amp is truly terrible. Its a silvertone something and it is ****, I bought it for $10 AUD at a garage sale 2 years ago-so anything would be an upgrade.

However I was wandering for some reccomendations for a practice amp I should get-on a pretty low budget-(nothing more than $400 AUD ($345 USD) and I'd rather get something cheaper than that) that basically has a good enough sound for bedroom practice. I play shred/fusion and prog metal, so I need nice cleans but a distortion heavy enough for metal.

The options I had in mind were-
Roland Microcube
Vox DA5
Peavey Vypyr
or just getting a Line 6 Pocket Pod and plugging that into my amp (or maybe get a better amp and run the pocket pod through that)

What would you guys say is a good idea to get? I've heard mixed reviews for all of these, especially the peavey that apparently can't do very good cleans. So could the more experienced members of this forum give their opinions on these amps/effects? Thanks
I would get a vyper personally
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
these guys are obviously useless. IMO, the Peavey does decent cleans but it's strength is in gain/distortion. i've played the Roland before and was not impressed by any means. as far as im concerned, the Peavey would be the best choice for your needs.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
depending on your style, you may also like the Orange Tiny Terror

Probably not. Judging by his username, he is a Dream Theater fan ( ), so the TT wouldnt be very good.
Any solid state amp cause it will sound the same at any volume unlike a tube amp...so you won't piss off other people you live with if you get the urge to rock in the middle of the night lol

Fender amps have good clean sounds
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
at most of the suggestions so far.

The TT is probably too expensive. The Vyper isn't that great, you can do alot better for the money.

So,

My suggestion is a low-wattage tube amp. I strongly suggest the Vox AC4. Imo its the only amp that is suitable for bedroom playing, because it is switchable to 1/10 of a watt. Even 1 watt tube amps are too loud for practice cranked
You should be able to find one right around your budget. Cranked, it should have a very convincing distortion.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Even 1 watt tube amps are too loud for practice cranked

what the hell? i've been using a 15 watt fender blues jr as a practice amp for 4 years now. it's never been "too loud" secondly the vox ac4 cannot provide anywhere near the right amount of distortion. this is why the vypyr is a great amp for TS. it provides a very thick distortion at ALL volumes, and also instant cleans at all volumes. another option is a line 6 Vetta. you can get a used one for like $400, and they're the best modelling amps ever built imo
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
what the hell? i've been using a 15 watt fender blues jr as a practice amp for 4 years now. it's never been "too loud" secondly the vox ac4 cannot provide anywhere near the right amount of distortion. this is why the vypyr is a great amp for TS. it provides a very thick distortion at ALL volumes, and also instant cleans at all volumes. another option is a line 6 Vetta. you can get a used one for like $400, and they're the best modelling amps ever built imo

You play a cranked bj in you bedroom???? I can't crank my one watt Rebel 20 in my bedroom without blowing my ears. With both the master and the volume cranked it gets great saturation.
The Vyper is overrated imo. Most of the settings are really buzzy and sound bad. Also, if the OP saved up $100 more he could get a Blackstar HT5, which beats the Vyper and the Vox.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I'd have thought the Roland Cube 15x would be best and certainly well under the price limit.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x