Oh hallo thar pit, I have recently got permission to turn my garage into a studio/rehearsal space, but I need to know if the setup I'm planning will work.

The band will consist of 4 people, a rhythm guitarist/vocalist, lead guitarist (moi), bassist and drummer. One of us will likely be on backing vox as well. This setup is mainly for rehearsal.

I am looking at the Behringer Xenyx 1202 mixer, which has 4 mic preamps and 8 1/4" inputs. So I would mic up 2 amps (bass amp and rhythm guitar amp) with Shure SM57s into the XLR inputs and use the line out on my amp going to a 1/4" input on the mixer. We would use the remaining XLR inputs for 2 vocal mics (one already owned Shure PG48 and another mic which I haven't decided on yet).

Then for drums I would probably use a single mic in the middle of the kit. This is purely for rehearsal purposes, and we will most likely have VST drums in recordings. The drum mic will go into a 1/4" input.

So in total 4 XLR inputs and 2 1/4" inputs.

The mixer will output into this audio interface, going into my laptop. The DAW isn't decided on yet but let's just say cost won't be an issue for software .

This headphone mixer will run from the audio interface via the headphone output, and each band member will have a pair of headphones.

The reason I'm going to all this trouble just for rehearsal is because we can't afford soundproofing for the garage, so micing up amps at a relatively low level and using headphones seems like a better idea. Also we will be using some of this gear to record but only one track at a time so this probably won't be an issue.
you played us

as both a cancer and a cure
Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
Go to Micky D's and ask for lots of cup holders.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
Go to Micky D's and ask for lots of cup holders.

Studio quality cup holders or can I get away with just normal ones?
you played us

Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
just one mic for drums is gonna sound terrible id say at least one for the kick one for snare/hi hat (or one for each) and 2 overheads...at LEAST
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by Footrot Ninja
Studio quality cup holders or can I get away with just normal ones?

dude, that made me freaking laugh my ass off
Can I haz bump?
you played us

Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
Sure you can.

Sounds good to me. But in rehersals, I wouldn't call drum mic'ing essential.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
if it's an acoustic kit, there's no need to mic the drums, you'll hear them just fine over headphones in a garage, and for recording drums you would want at least 5 mics on the kit. Otherwise that sounds perfect.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Okay thanks guys
you played us

Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
Quote by jgbsmith
if it's an acoustic kit, there's no need to mic the drums, you'll hear them just fine over headphones in a garage, and for recording drums you would want at least 5 mics on the kit. Otherwise that sounds perfect.

You could probably get away with 3 - one on the kick drum and then 2 overheads. I know people who've got decent results doing this in the past.

Otherwise for rehearsal that sounds fine.