The goal:
Be ready to play bass in a cover/bar band in 6 months.

Background:
I'm a mediocre guitar player. I played in a band about 10 yrs ago (mostly rhythm and some vocals). I loved playing in a band, and want to again, but the truth is that there are a thousand guitar players out there that are much better than I am (and younger). So I decided to learn bass and maybe find a spot somewhere. There seems to be a high demand/ low supply of bassists around here.

The Plan:
Learn 3-4 songs per week. That would put me at over 80 songs in 6 months, maybe a strong enough base to start looking for work. A mix of Classic and Contemporary rock (with some other stuff thrown in).

Why post this?:
I don't expect anyone to give a damn about my progress, but maybe by having to report weekly it will give me some extra bit of motivation when I get lazy. And maybe someone else learning bass or switching from guitar will find it useful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: To learn the songs I bought Guitar Pro, which I really like, and use tabs found on this site. I'm playing along with the mp3 which I can adjust the pitch and/or speed of with a free program called "Best Practice".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Progress - Week One

I bought my new 5-string on Tuesday, September 1st, 2009. As of Sept 8 (one week later) here is what I learned.

Finished Songs (Confident I could play them well on stage):
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Nickelback - Figured You Out
War - Low Rider
ZZ Top - LaGrange
ZZ Top - Tush
Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Styx - Blue Collar Man
Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut

Working on but not ready (something doesn't sound right or just haven't learned it all):
Crossfade - Colors
Travis Tritt - Foolish Pride

Total of 8 finished songs, so way over my goal of 3-4. So far, I'm really enjoying playing bass. It's actually almost week two now and I've learned another 7 or 8 so far, but I'll wait until the full week has gone by to post the progress.
Dude, it doesn't take that much effort to become a "bass player" in the eyes of most.

And sorry to rain on your parade but learning songs is probably the least important part of bass playing. Can you play 8th notes at any given tempo? and the biggest question you need to ask yourself is, as a guitar player, do you play bass like a bass, or a guitar?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Neat, good luck! I've been playing bass for 6 months and would be able to play in a Metallica cover band , so you should be able to play in a cover band after 6 months.
If you really gonna learn 3-4 songs for week, in 6 months your good player.
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
All I can say is be careful. people learn at different speeds I know but a lot of people (myself included) think they're a good player after 6 months, just saying...
Also there's a big difference between knowing the frets for a song and playing it well.
But as long as you're mindful and you respect your own learning abilities, you could be decent in 6 months so good luck.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by ChemicalFire

And sorry to rain on your parade but learning songs is probably the least important part of bass playing. Can you play 8th notes at any given tempo?

I won't deny that other things are important, and I am doing various excercises in addition to learning songs, but in all honesty, when my last band auditioned bassists, we never asked anyone if they could play 8th notes at any given tempo, what we cared about was if they could play our songlist and play it well.

and the biggest question you need to ask yourself is, as a guitar player, do you play bass like a bass, or a guitar?

I'm quickly learning the different approach/ way of thinking between bass and guitar. I'm doing that by learning songs. Not just playing along on the root notes, but actually learning the complete bassline.
Quote by gilly_90
All I can say is be careful. people learn at different speeds I know but a lot of people (myself included) think they're a good player after 6 months, just saying...
Also there's a big difference between knowing the frets for a song and playing it well.
But as long as you're mindful and you respect your own learning abilities, you could be decent in 6 months so good luck.

Thanks.

I have no expectations of being a great bass player in 6 months, just hoping to be adequate for the job while still learning and improving.

Good point on "knowing the frets". I'm keeping that in mind also. With each song I'm learning, I'm also trying to understand why the bassline works the way it does, and even trying to move it around to different positions on the fretboard. I'm playing a 5-string, which seems to enable more versatility in that regard.

I've got nothing but free time to practice. I only work for a little while every couple months, and even while I work I've got plenty of time to play. So I can get in several hours a day.
Last edited by blackjack68 at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by blackjack68
Thanks.

I have no expectations of being a great bass player in 6 months, just hoping to be adequate for the job while still learning and improving.

Good point on "knowing the frets". I'm keeping that in mind also. With each song I'm learning, I'm also trying to understand why the bassline works the way it does, and even trying to move it around to different positions on the fretboard. I'm playing a 5-string, which seems to enable more versatility in that regard.

I've got nothing but free time to practice. I only work for a little while every couple months, and even while I work I've got plenty of time to play. So I can get in several hours a day.

I miss having that much time...good job for using it in a productive manner.

With that mindset, I think you'll achieve your goal much faster than you expect. Most people who teach themselves just learn songs, and don't really understand why what they're playing sounds good until much later.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I miss having that much time...good job for using it in a productive manner.

With that mindset, I think you'll achieve your goal much faster than you expect. Most people who teach themselves just learn songs, and don't really understand why what they're playing sounds good until much later.

guilty
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Im kinda like this but my aim was to be able to play a good whack of covers well, and have a bit of basic theory behind me but not push to the total extremes.Its good and what your talking bout is do-able the first week i had my bass i had a few NFG and Ramones songs down those spurred me on into learning a couple of Placebo songs but build up bit by bit and vary what your learning.

I know about 30 songs now and i only started like the last week of May just as something to pass the time over the summer till college but i enjoy it way more (it was originally my little summer project).And its possibly been one of the best spontaneous idea i ever had and i thank my friend who was needing £50 and offered me his bass when he couldnt pay the rent :P

Good ways to keep motivated is learn songs you usually wouldnt, one that got me motivated was 99 red balloons no matter how stupid that sounds it was just bucketloads of fun to play and i ended up learning Cars-Gary Numan after it LOL.

So its always a good thing to try things you normally wouldnt it does make you feel more motivated and gives you a wider spectrum of what you can play at the same time :P i also got into a lot more bands after i started one being At the drive-in cause i was always looking at new types of music to progress into same with the band Death.I was mainly into punk and Thrash metal now im into bout everything in some way or another.(for example i used to hate Pendulum but now love them)

Dont limit yourself as a bassist always try new stuff it adds to you being more motivated one of my main ones right now is my friend who stays in another part of the country is coming down to his parents and were gonna jam a lot of thrash like stuff learned Seek and Destroy and whack of Symphony of destruction over the past 3 days.

But the key to motivation is mix it up a little, try new things,things that are deemed hard etc cause it does help a lot.Also setting achievable goals is paramount :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
99 Luftballoons..... I love it. I was a kid when that song came out. I'm gonna add it to my list of stuff to learn just for the heck of it

Well, that and I lived in Germany for 2 years and now I have a thing for sexy female German voices.

Ok, so I'm weird. I can live with that.
Last edited by blackjack68 at Sep 13, 2009,
LOL, this is nuts. I downloaded the Guitar Pro tab for 99 Luftballons.

It's 8:30 in the freakin morning, I haven't been to bed yet, and I'm sitting here learning 99 Luftballons. Something's wrong with me.

Took me about 20 minutes. I wouldn't call it performance ready yet, but by tomorrow night it will be.

Now you've got me thinking about all the 80's stuff I loved. Safety Dance, Come On Eileen, Der Kommissar, Down Under....... I'm gonna have to play around with a few of those.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think this'd be better done as a blog on your profile, and linked to in your sig.

Didn't know I had a blog.

Well, if the moderators would frown on me for doing it as a thread instead of a blog, I'll redo it as such........ if I can figure out how........ I've never had a blog before.
I agree with Ben on this one--this is blog material. I'm going to close this one out unless one of my fellow moderators objects.