So ok, i want a tube amp, that could be good for playing all kinds of styles. Or maybe something with nice clean, and some nice crunch for classic rock? And not too expensive, but that i could play with drums? Any opinions?
What is your budget? Is it in £ or $? You'll be looking for something around 15w or above in order to have useable cleans and drive that could cut through the mix with drums.
Well i don't have the money, but my birthday is comming, so il get some.
peavey classic 30
or
laney vc15/30
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
At the moment i'm leaning at the peavey classic 30. Like the sound. But would it be ok with drums?
Quote by kriscius
At the moment i'm leaning at the peavey classic 30. Like the sound. But would it be ok with drums?

it wont have any troubles with a drummer, 30 watts tube is very very loud
Quote by kriscius
Just to make sure, tube amps are louder then solid state amps, right?

Alot louder.
a 30w tube amp is as loud as a 100w SS amp.

this is because Tube amps are rated in RMS, meaning it can get 30w of CLEAN tone, but at full whack can get probably 70-100w of Driven tone.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

You could pick up a used Peavey Valveking 112 for not more than $300. At that price the amp would have to be in near mint condition. All that would be needed to make a super amp is a speaker upgrade. It has the same clean channel circuit as an older Fender.
Peavey XXX
Quote by ShallowEndings

+1

he always recommend those for everything.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Silver-spear94
a 30w tube amp is as loud as a 100w SS amp.

this is because Tube amps are rated in RMS, meaning it can get 30w of CLEAN tone, but at full whack can get probably 70-100w of Driven tone.

Not quite.

Tube amps are louder because they have more harmonics than SS amp so they sound fuller and louder. Some tube amps aren't rated RMS and I think SS amps are rated RMS too, they just sound ****ty when they get to that point while tube amps thrive when pushed to that point.
I use my Peavey Classic 30 in band practices. It gets over the drums on with the volume on 4.5 out of 12. and that was with tubes that were 11 years old. I'm guessing you would only need to take it to about 4 to be properly mixed with a drum kit.

so...ya, it is as loud as you would need!!
Quote by kriscius
And what's the worst con with peavey classic 30?

it depends really. its a very nice amp for the price (especially used) and does everything up to classic rock well. its got good cleans and good crunch (imo), but it really doesnt do a fantastic high gain sound (you would be using at least an od pedal for this). so its not expensive and it is fairly versitile, so whats the problem?

well, it doesnt really shine for anything. its a good amp, but its not a great amp for anything. well, except it can be a great amp if you get it used for around $300 or so, then it just out does most of the other stuff in that range. its not going to be your last amp, its job is to be a good sounding tube amp that gets you in the door with something you can gig with. basicly, it fits your needs pretty much to a T.

now, there are lots of other options out there that may be better for the sound you have in your head, so you have to try a few other things as well. try a blues junior (wont get very heavy though), try the blackheart 15w model, try things like line 6 flextones, and try the blackstar ht-5. trying all of those out will give you a wider option of things to look for and at. though honestly, i think the classic 30 is the one in that list that will suit your needs best (on paper anyway).
blackstar ht5 is very nice... just remember there is no reverb on it...
I say this because i considered this amp but hate running reverb from pedals
Quote by kriscius
And what's the worst con with peavey classic 30?
The gain channel is kind of anemic. I used mine exclusively on the clean channels with pedals. The other con is that it suffers from tube rattle at higher volumes. I put mine on an angled amp stand and the tube rattle was much worse. It was fine when the amp was level and at the normal home levels I played it.