Hi, basically csn anyone reccomend me some new scales to use in my solos? I really want to improve but I only know the blues/pentatonic positions.

Thanks
start with the Major and Minor. Learn modes when you're very comfortable with them
OK, I'll work on them. Also, how will I use more than 1 scale in a solo, like how would I combine them? To make it more interesting.
Any scale in the same key you can work with, but don't work with too many scales in the same section or it sounds kinda iffy.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Any scale in the same key you can work with, but don't work with too many scales in the same section or it sounds kinda iffy.

ok thanks, have you got any tips for changing key during a solo or is that a bad idea?
You'll kinda be able to feel when and where you should use a certain scale. Just mess around and learn by trial and error, its kinda hard to explain.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
The Circle of Fifths is your best friend. Learn it.

I like how a Harmonic Minor scale sounds, it's just so weird.
ಠ_ಠ
Chromatic. That way, any note you play will be right.

On a more serious note, major and minor are both critical, and are actually the basis for the pentatonic scales. Learn all the different minors (Natural, harmonic, and melodic), and see which ones you can implement. Melodic is pretty hard to use, but you can make your own judgment on it.

As for changing key and stuff, that's all based on the chord progressions that you're playing over.
modes have a mood to them major(ionian) sounds happy and minor(aeolian) sounds sad so unless you want to take the listener on a rollercoaster ride i wouldn`r mix them 2.

ionian, dorian, mixoloydian,lydian,major pentatonics, work well together.

aeolian,phrygian,harmonic minor,minor pentatonics work well together.

also try harmonizing the scale....the video below will explain this better (and don`t forget dave does a new vid every wednesday...if you don`t know who he is, he`s the rhythm guitarist for steve vai and has his own band called Jass aswell as some brilliant solo work)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRCdi_azS8