Im making my own guitar at the moment and wondering if this would be any good
Les paul style
basswood with maple top
Rosewoood fret board with maple neck
standard wiring with gibson pots and stuff.
seymour duncan sh-2 +sh-4
bone nut
wilkinson tuners

Current setup
Fender USA Strat (wanted a diffent guitar fot he humber tone)
Marshall JVM410H with 1960A cab
Last edited by wdaubo at Sep 13, 2009,
I'm thinking basswood with a maple top would sound too bright but whatever you want.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Not bad...
Whatever you do don't get Gibson pots, they're the same as any other kind but 2 1/2 times the price.

Also, you can put your gear in your signature. Go to Control Panel>Edit Signature.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
maybe you should consider the body wood. It seems that you wanna make a Les Paul (:P lol) and if you want that fat Les Paul sound you should use Mahogany as the body wood, just as Gibson normally does. Otherwise then that it seems fine.
If you have a reason for the Basswood body I would be thrilled to hear it
If you're making your own guitar don't go for a mediocre wood like basswood. to me it looks like you want something ala a gibson les paul; I'd go for a mahogany body.
Its not really a choice so much as I like the sound of basswood equal to mohoghany and its slightly cheaper adn easier to work with this is why i chose it. It might be a unsual choice to make but i just like the wood.
Quote by wdaubo
Its not really a choice so much as I like the sound of basswood equal to mohoghany and its slightly cheaper adn easier to work with this is why i chose it. It might be a unsual choice to make but i just like the wood.

Okey that seems fine. I myself like basswood but I just found your choice with basswood for a LP odd but I guess it will work.

Anyways good luck with the job
Basswood is by no means a mediocre wood. Ibanez makes almost all their RG series (if not all) from basswood.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Ive heard some paul type gutiars made of basswood of reasonable quality and they sounded just as good as their mahoghany equivalents, and im not trieng to make a paul replica, but my own axe which i make to my prefences its just going to look like a paul because I really like taht shape a fell of guitar.
Yeah, mahogany's probably the easiest to machine wood I've seen.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Guitar2theface
Basswood is by no means a mediocre wood. Ibanez makes almost all their RG series (if not all) from basswood.

this. and my shecter's basswood too. (omen 6).

EDIT: TS, good luck with your project. i cant wait to see the finished product.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"