But I had no idea how much truth was in that statement until I plugged my EHX Big Muff out of my Marshall, into AmpliTube Fender and my eyes have been opened. Suddenly the Muff sounded the way it should. So much more tone from the pedal shone through. So even modeling software takes pedals better than Marshall JCMs.

If you're Billy Corgan, please ignore this thread.

I'm gonna try the same experiment with my ProCo Rat later, which also sounds like ass through my Marshall. A Fender Deluxe or Twin Reverb is now at the top of my shopping list.
Quote by dandadog
I think the big muff sounds bollocks anyway. Mine does, at least..

Fuzz isn't for everybody. Back when I only listened to metal I didn't like it at all. But a few Smashing Pumpkins albums later (mixed with some White Stripes and 70s stoner rock), I had to own a muff.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Sep 13, 2009,
is it a solid state Marshall?
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by pawnluv
is it a solid state Marshall?

he said it was JCM.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
oops, didnt catch that
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
My double muff is really good with my Vox, the only thing is the 'Double' setting looses all definition.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Fuzz isn't for everybody. Back when I only listened to metal I didn't like it at all. But a few Smashing Pumpkins albums later (mixed with some White Stripes and 70s stoner rock), I had to own a muff.

I'm not sure if it's just my amp that doesn't respond well to it, or if the battery is dying, or if the pedal just isn't generally good, I really can't see the hype..

Hmm.
Quote by Andron17
My double muff is really good with my Vox, the only thing is the 'Double' setting looses all definition.

How does Vox take to pedals anyway? I live near England, so Vox are really affordable.
Quote by dandadog
I'm not sure if it's just my amp that doesn't respond well to it, or if the battery is dying, or if the pedal just isn't generally good, I really can't see the hype..

Hmm.

Watch this (0:48). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SBPE15uHwA

Not a great performance, but it has the grit that people like the Muff for.
It could be the way you've set up the muff?
My Marshall loves pedals

What Marshall was it exactly? I've never heard of a Marshall not taking pedals well
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
It could be the way you've set up the muff?
My Marshall loves pedals

What Marshall was it exactly? I've never heard of a Marshall not taking pedals well

JCM 2000. I really think it's the amp. I've had the Muff for a few months now and tried a lot of different things.
Ahh I see, yeah when I tried out a 2000 I wasn't really impressed with it. IME it can get muddy quickly using pedals with it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by BrickIsRed
How does Vox take to pedals anyway? I live near England, so Vox are really affordable.

They take pedals good (at least mine), overdrives take some time to dial in just right but other than that they take pedals great.
Edit: Is it an old JCM, if it is, it will probably be the pedal because from the JCMs I've heard and played they take pedals and sound great. If its a newer one I wouldn't be suprised, they never blew me away.
Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at Sep 13, 2009,
For the record I had my amp (JCM800 clone basically) hooked up to a Bad Monkey, SD1, Carbon Copy delay and had an EQ pedal and volume pedal in the loop and it sounded great. I even kicked on the phaser a couple of times. No issues.

I'm getting a Muff soon, and I'm sure it will fine as well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
For the record I had my amp (JCM800 clone basically) hooked up to a Bad Monkey, SD1, Carbon Copy delay and had an EQ pedal and volume pedal in the loop and it sounded great. I even kicked on the phaser a couple of times. No issues.

I'm getting a Muff soon, and I'm sure it will fine as well.

Well overdrives and delays work great. But stuff that requires more clarity to shine (fuzz and distortions) doesn't.
I don't think a DSL is a good match for fuzzes, unless you have a nearly clean sound on the amp.
Quote by imgooley
I don't think a DSL is a good match for fuzzes, unless you have a nearly clean sound on the amp.

That's the interesting part. The JCM2000 clean channel has a brightness boost that kicks in the more you turn down the clean channel Gain. But basically, by the time you've turned it down to reach the same kind of clarity as a Fender, it completely loses its balls, like the tubes aren't getting driven at all. On that kind of setting, I'd almost rather use the cheap no-brand solid state I have lying around in the other room.

This is only with pedals like fuzz and distortion by the way. If you plug straight in, with maybe only a delay and overdrive, it sounds glorious.

Using pedals through a Fender, it's like you can get tube warmth without the higher frequencies disappearing. It doesn't get muffled.
Quote by BrickIsRed
That's the interesting part. The JCM2000 clean channel has a brightness boost that kicks in the more you turn down the clean channel Gain. But basically, by the time you've turned it down to reach the same kind of clarity as a Fender, it completely loses its balls, like the tubes aren't getting driven at all. On that kind of setting, I'd almost rather use the cheap no-brand solid state I have lying around in the other room.

This is only with pedals like fuzz and distortion by the way. If you plug straight in, with maybe only a delay and overdrive, it sounds glorious.

Using pedals through a Fender, it's like you can get tube warmth without the higher frequencies disappearing. It doesn't get muffled.

Stock big muffs are kinda finicky on the tone knob, for sure. You dial in treble, you lose balls, you dial in bass, you lose clarity. Best position on the tone knob most of the itme is at noon. In fact, noon is the best position for all the knobs on that thing, most of the time.

Also: It doesn't have to be squeaky clean, a little dirt is actually a good thing with fuzz, most of the time, I find. The Muff also has a large mid dip, so dial up the mids on the amp to compensate.

If that doesn't work, put a treble booster, or a boost of some sort in after it in your chain.

If none of that works, then
Quote by acdcrocks0323
More treble=/= more clarity.

Yeah, I get the feeling a treble booster would act more like an overdrive than improve the clarity.
Quote by BrickIsRed

Do you turn up your master volume for more power amp gain?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I used to have one of the grey box big muffs,sounded good though my jcm800...the black box russian one didn't really...that may have been cause of the cheap components...

I heard someone talking about billy corgans muff tone....getting his exact tone is really hard unless you input the pedal in the amp like he does....its kinda crazy...he plugs the pedal into the low gain input on the jcm800 then cranks the master volume to 10 and uses the preamp volume as his volume control...whoa!!!

I used to do it like this for very small amounts of time cause its putting a lot of stress on your power tubes being maxed out...and it sounds just like his tone with a strat....strat with lace sensors...even closer

But I've heard a lot of his tone is from the kt88 power tubes instead of the stock el34s....who knows

I wanna buy a grey box big muff though..they sound amazing through my gear!
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
From what I was understanding in your post, you said your amp loses presence and clarity the higher you turn it up. Using a treble booster would help add presence

I never said treble=clarity. With a big muff, though, the more bassy the sound, the more mushy it gets.
Quote by BrickIsRed

This. Fuzz is one of those things like marmite, you love it or hate it
You heard wrong.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I just tested my new ProCo RAT through Fender AmpliTube and it's the same result. I can hear the silky smooth 90's distortion with full clarity. Whereas with the JCM, it was kinda muffled.

So that settles it. I need a Fender amp.

Quote by Simsimius
Do you turn up your master volume for more power amp gain?

Yeah, it improves it a bit.
the problem could be your marshall. not all marshalls are stunningly brilliant amp. the rhythm guitarist in my band is playing a 1987x plexi, and that thing sounds unbelievably gorgeous