i'm in dire straits here

i was sanding down my girlfriends old chest of drawers and got a massive blister on the pad on the first finger of my left hand

this has burst and split the top layer of skin on the pad open

it is incredibly painfull to play and i have a gig on saturday

i'm already using cream and padded plasters and trying as best i can to re-learn the songs with different finger shapes

any advice would be much appreciated!
Last edited by CoffeeGuitar at Sep 13, 2009,
I think your best bet would be to learn to play holding the pick with your thumb and middle finger like Van Halen does.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
I think your best bet would be to learn to play holding the pick with your thumb and middle finger like Van Halen does.

Basically this. Just experiment with different ways of holding the pick, find one that you can get by with, and practice your ass off
If it's still very painful your going to have to make do with a thin layer of padding to cushion it and avoid pain.

Try a plaster/band aid, and apply a small layer of bandage around the finger over the wound.

Sometimes pain can help tbh, sort of like an adrenaline rush.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
superglue - i'm serious, its amazing at sealing open/cracked skin, probably not healthy but its not like you do it every day. I do it when i bite my finger nails back too far by accident so it hurts less when I play.
agree pain cant definately be a rush but this the actual pad split open, think i will give the superglue a go if its still bad come thrusday/friday

will definately be bandaging it up but i cant put to much on or it wikll interfere with the other strings
Quote by CoffeeGuitar
the problem is actually with my left hand/fretting handing

Aha OK then. What I would probably do in this situation is try and make some kind of Iommi-esque protection for my finger. I don't know how old you are, and this is a long shot, but if you're still at school and have a DT/Technology department, I'm sure your teacher would be able to help you make some kind of plastic cover for your finger, it'd be worth a try
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Aha OK then. What I would probably do in this situation is try and make some kind of Iommi-esque protection for my finger. I don't know how old you are, and this is a long shot, but if you're still at school and have a DT/Technology department, I'm sure your teacher would be able to help you make some kind of plastic cover for your finger, it'd be worth a try

i'm a second year uni student but i'm a bit of a handy man

the iommi thing is a cracking idea!
Jesus christ just use a ****ing band aid.
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by KenjiBeast
Jesus christ just use a ****ing band aid.

deary deary someones a bit touchy today arent we

the actual pad of the finger is split open, it'll take more than a bad aid to make it playable!
"i was sanding down my girlfriend"
That's all i heard.
Don't Be Afraid and just look across Blue Fields.
You'll eventually see the Fisherman's Horizon.
right, this is going to sound strange as hell but i have found an amazing soloution!

you will need some kind of pain relief gel (ibuleve or other)
a slice of ham
and some cling film

use a swab to put some ibuleve on the split to numb the pain
apply a smal square of ham onto the ibuleve
the ibuleve will act as an adhesive and the ham will be like a new layer of skin
then wrap in cling film
cling film works because since its only thing it doesn't interfere with the other strings

hey presto

a new finger pad is born
What inspired you to use ham?
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit

i tried making a crude iommi style cover using a lighter and the lid off a highlighter

the shaping went really well but the sound of the plastic on the string just didn't work

i realised i needed something the same texture as skin so i nicked my flatmates ham
Quote by Solid S/hit

The fact his mother and girlfriend are pigs.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
The fact his mother and girlfriend are pigs.

aww bless, is someone a little kranky? lets put you down for a nap
Quote by CoffeeGuitar
right, this is going to sound strange as hell but i have found an amazing soloution!

you will need some kind of pain relief gel (ibuleve or other)
a slice of ham
and some cling film

use a swab to put some ibuleve on the split to numb the pain
apply a smal square of ham onto the ibuleve
the ibuleve will act as an adhesive and the ham will be like a new layer of skin
then wrap in cling film
cling film works because since its only thing it doesn't interfere with the other strings

hey presto

a new finger pad is born

You are begging for infection and eventually gangrene. Whatthe****HAM?
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by KenjiBeast
You are begging for infection and eventually gangrene. Whatthe****HAM?

+1

TC, don't sweat it, if your finger has to be amputated they can replace it with a lemurs.

band-aid it ffs.
Well, I won't go ass far to say we are in an Iommi situation jut yet! But, this has happened to me many times, not sanding, but similar nonetheless. The time when it was more dire, I sliced a kife across my fretting finger tips at work, and it hurt like hell to play. So i tried duct tape and trying different approaches, but honestly both did not work. It felt even more awkward playing, and i felt is sacrificed my tone/feeling (because tone does come from hands!). So i sucked it up and just played the show with sliced fingers. I just took it easy when i needed to, and avoided solos as much as possible.
I feel for you! But my advice is to actually try and deal with it and play the show as is solely for the purpose of retaining your tone and fretting feeling.
Hope it goes well!
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Didn't SRV cut (small layers of) skin from other parts of his body and glue them onto his injured finger? Sounds horribly painful but if it's urgent...
Yeah, he'd superglue his left hand fingers to his right forearm, let it dry and rip it off.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
It's been said before, use superglue. I've heard it was originally developed to close wounds during a battle. Speaking from personal experience, I got a massive blister from playing bass on my picking hand, it popped and I could not hold a pick or fingerpick properly, and I had an audition for a school music program in a couple of days. Maybe an hour before the audition I put a bunch of glue on there to kind of form a protective layer and it worked like a charm.

If you have a really bad cut, still try to cover it with glue as it will act as primarily a sealant and also as another set of skin. It says on the packaging that the glue is an irritant but I personally did not experience any irritation, and I applied it directly to my skin! Apart from that, make sure you don't get stuck to something and don't put it in your mouth.
Quote by CoffeeGuitar
got a massive blister on the pad on the first finger of my left hand
this has burst and split the top layer of skin on the pad open
it is incredibly painfull to play and i have a gig on saturday
You must have had blisters before, right? So you know the skin on your hands heals incredibly fast. I think you'll be fine by saturday night.
i'm already using cream and padded plasters
This is fine for the first day. But as soon as it's a bit less sore, keep your skin in contact with the air. Oxigen helps the healing proces. Later, take hot baths or do the dishes a couple of times. Hot water will soften your skin and force it to regrow faster too. Don't do that on saturday though.
and trying as best i can to re-learn the songs with different finger shapes
I would give your finger a rest. Could you get by without fretting for a while? Do you still need to practice heavily for the gig?

The one thing I am thinking is that your calluses might heal, and you'll have four sore fingers after the gig. Maybe you can stick a small piece of tape on the tops, or wear a tight-fitting chirurgical glove.

By the way, the first finger is called the index.
All the best.
Quote by CoffeeGuitar
i have a gig on saturday
So, how was it? Did you survive? Did anyone notice?