I wrote a verse and a chorus a few days ago. Ive been working on developing it into a full song. I have a basic understanding of music theory but I am confused as to what key it is in, and if or what my key change is to. I'll just list the progressions.

Verse:
Just alternates between these two chords.

Em 9th--A 7th sus4

After it goes between these two for a while I go into the chorus.

Chorus:
Bm--F#maj--Dmaj--Amaj

Then back int othe verse.

So I guess my questions are:

1: What key is the song?
2:What is the key change to?
First progression is in E minor, second one in B minor.
Gear
Schecter Demon 7 (standard Bb)
Ibanez RG 120 (dropped C)
Steel-string acoustic (any other tuning )
Line 6 Pocket POD
Boss ME-50
Boss HM-3
Dunlop Original Crybaby
M-Audio Keyrig 25 controller
I get the verse as being E minor, but the second one(Bm) i dont totally understand. How can it be in the key of Bm if theres is a F#major in the progression? doesnt that throw it all off? or is it some kind of "accidental"?
Isn't the entire thing in the key of D major, and has an augmented 5th thrown in aswell? Making it D augemted 5th (the aug 5th being like a passing tone) Or have I worked that out wrong?

*edit* Yes I have, the 7th in the A major would be out of key
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by Chris189
I get the verse as being E minor, but the second one(Bm) i dont totally understand. How can it be in the key of Bm if theres is a F#major in the progression? doesnt that throw it all off? or is it some kind of "accidental"?

The whole thing seems to be in E minor with F# and A loaned from the parallel major.

Okay, F# major is not in E major as well
Last edited by deHufter at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
Isn't the entire thing in the key of D major, and has an augmented 5th thrown in aswell? Making it D augemted 5th (the aug 5th being like a passing tone) Or have I worked that out wrong?

*edit* Yes I have, the 7th in the A major would be out of key

It's not out of key. It's a simple harmonic modulation i.e. "Key Change".
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by KenjiBeast
It's not out of key. It's a simple harmonic modulation i.e. "Key Change".

Yes I know, I said out of key asin it shows it's not all in D Major aug 5
Quote by pigeonmafia
Yes I know, I said out of key asin it shows it's not all in D Major aug 5

Songs aren't written in major aug 5. It would just be major, with frequentation of the #5 note. In the end it won't resolve to an augmented chord.

The progression Bm - F# - D - A is in B minor. Bm, D, and A are all diatonic to the key of B minor, and the F# has the raised leading tone which is very common in a minor key.

The first progression is in Em. Both chords are diatonic to Em (Although the A7sus4 should be called Am7sus4, since before the suspension the chord would have been minor, and there's no reason to introduce the non-diatonic C# into a chord name that doesn't even contain that note).

So the two keys are Em and Bm. They are a fifth apart, and that is a very common modulation. The Am7sus4 in the first progression acts as a pivot chord, as it (well when named A7sus4 which contains the same notes) is in Bm as well.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Songs aren't written in major aug 5. It would just be major, with frequentation of the #5 note. In the end it won't resolve to an augmented chord.

The progression Bm - F# - D - A is in B minor. Bm, D, and A are all diatonic to the key of B minor, and the F# has the raised leading tone which is very common in a minor key.

The first progression is in Em. Both chords are diatonic to Em (Although the A7sus4 should be called Am7sus4, since before the suspension the chord would have been minor, and there's no reason to introduce the non-diatonic C# into a chord name that doesn't even contain that note).

So the two keys are Em and Bm. They are a fifth apart, and that is a very common modulation. The Am7sus4 in the first progression acts as a pivot chord, as it (well when named A7sus4 which contains the same notes) is in Bm as well.

That was probably one of the clearest answers ive ever goten on here. Thanks!
Quote by Chris189
That was probably one of the clearest answers ive ever goten on here. Thanks!

Agreed. Cleared stuff up for me aswell lol