Hey UG,

Well after a different thread, I'm considering the Peavey Classic 30 Head Tube Amp. I would appreciate anyfeedback from anyone with this amp head. I also would like suggestions for 1 cabinet. I will not be gigging very often and not in very large places, but loudness is not a problem. I'm also open to suggestions for any other heads/cabs that have good tubes.

I play on a Gibson Les Paul 2008 Standard, Tradition G12 Standard (decent strat knock off). I play classic rock, hard rock (like GNR) and some metal (mostly metallica), but I play a lot of blues (SRV) so need good cleans as well as good OD.

Edit: Link: Peavey Classic 30 Head Tube Amp
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Last edited by Its So Easy at Sep 13, 2009,
That link you posted does not include the cab. Gotta buy it seperately, though if you walked into a GC they'd probably offer you a deal of questionable quality. It's no great loss, though - the C30 cab isn't that great IMO.

Anyway, for your stuff, I highly recommend the C30. I'd advise using a nice OD with it, too - it's stock overdrive is rather harsh, and a good OD pedal will really give it new life. Perhaps a tube change as well.
Thanks what about the head though is it good, I've never had a tube head before.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Classic rock/heavy blues (SRV, etc.) is pretty much what the C30 is made to do. You will not be a tone god with it, but for all of us who can't afford, say... a Plexi... it's certainly a respectable choice.

Very midrange-y in it's tone. As I said, it's OD channel is harsh and grainy by itself, so an OD pedal is desireable here. The clean channel is no Fender Twin, but gets pretty loud without breaking up - and I've found that EQing the clean channel has bigger effects than with some amps. Dial it in right and it can be either warm or fat or bright. Loud enough for gigging most places unmiced, and anywhere up to a football arena when miced.

As for it being tube - one, don't touch the tubes after playing; they are hot. They'll need to be changed every now and then - when depends on how much you play. For a guy who practices for an hour or two maybe four or five times a week, tubes will need to be changed maybe once every two years or so.
Quote by WtrPlyr
If I were you I'd just buy the combo. If you're not gigging the head+cab isn't really better than the combo, plus the combo would probably be cheaper (look for it used).

Yeah, this too.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 13, 2009,
If I were you I'd just buy the combo. If you're not gigging the head+cab isn't really better than the combo, plus the combo would probably be cheaper (look for it used).

Given, it is a good amp so it doesn't really matter (combo or head)