I just bought a brand new Dean Exotica acoustic electric. On an older acoustic, that I don't use anymore, I have brass bridge pins. Should I put those heavier, brass bridge pins on the Dean, or should i keep the factory issued plastic bridge pins and keep the sound of the guitar the way it is?
I use D'addario EXP strings.
Seems to me the brass pins will have a better tuning stability, so try those. I doubt the tone will change too much though.
Why not just swap them over and see? It would only take a few minutes.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but that's because I think metal bridge pins are a waste of time.
yea... just try them out see if you like them .. they will most certainly change the tone ... it should sound brighter so if thats what your going for.... do it.... but like i said no harm in trying either way
if they fit, try them. different guitars have different sized bridge pins. and as has already been said, they probably won't change tone. might change tuning stability, but it's already an acoustic, so tuning should be too bad anyway
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by rjc18040
I just bought a brand new Dean Exotica acoustic electric. On an older acoustic, that I don't use anymore, I have brass bridge pins. Should I put those heavier, brass bridge pins on the Dean, or should i keep the factory issued plastic bridge pins and keep the sound of the guitar the way it is?
I use D'addario EXP strings.

It all depends on what you want out of the guitar. Are you looking to upgrade the tone, sustain, and overall sound of it or are you just looking to change the tone to perhaps brighter/darker? FYI, bridge pins won't alter the tone all that much, certainly not as much as a bone bridge saddle or nut will. And as has already been stated, not all pins are created equally. There are different tapers to both the pins and the holes in the bridge. There's also slotted vs. unslotted pins. You can't just blindly change them out in the hopes they will work. Do some homework first.
clearly a different material nut or saddle would have more of an effect on the overall tone... but bridge pins absolutely make a difference.
Quote by David Collins
That's debatable, and the few informal blind tests I've done using bone, ebony, and plastic have suggested otherwise.

Of course brass is an extreme example - changing the mass that significantly is not unlike putting a bridge mute on a violin, though admittedly less severe. I have no idea why anyone would ever, ever think brass bridge pins would be a good idea, though to each their own I suppose.

Still, the change in mass of a few grams at the bridge may be noticeable on a well built, finely tuned and voiced, extraordinarily responsive acoustic guitar. This is a Dean acoustic-electric guitar.

You're not going to hear any difference here.

I very much agree.

We had a big debate on this forum one time about how much of a difference the bridge pins actually made. Aside from Brass, the conclusion was that if the strings are installed correctly, the pins should make no significant difference to the tone. While the pins are a contact point between the string and the guitar, it is not a major contact point of energy transfer.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
just thought id ask this in case theres any difference. i have this cheap washburn tele with this piezo bridge. would changing bridge pins make any difference as far as steel strings go? its got grovers and a bone nut so im not having tuning issues. i dont want to go buy a set of pins just to try and see in case they dont fit or yous guys tells mes that it wont make a difference.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

^Changing the saddle will make a much better diference. Unless the saddle is the piezo. Then you'd need to replace it with a saddle transducer thingy that most companies make.
Quote by David Collins

You're not going to hear any difference here.

Agreed.

And David, would you please read your private messages. I left you one about a week ago and you haven't replied yet, unless you chose not to for some reason.

(sorry for the thread-jack)
Quote by David Collins
Sorry Lefty - this forum software has a glitch in it I think. The "welcome" box on the upper right shows 0 messages, and same when I click on it. I'll check around to see if I can find the real PM box, which I recall from once before as being hidden in the user Control Panel - anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Nope, the Control Panel gets me to the same empty message box - anyone know where to find the real one?

At the very top of the site their is a bar, to the far right click the "my profile' button, within their you'll be able to access another set of private messages.
Quote by Baby Joel
^Changing the saddle will make a much better diference. Unless the saddle is the piezo. Then you'd need to replace it with a saddle transducer thingy that most companies make.

well it looks like the saddles are bone too so i guess bridge pins are our of the question! unless i break these again haha. thanks.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

nope, its a washburn tele. click it in my sig to view it if ya want.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

get some bone bridge pins on e-bay and replace the saddle with bone as well. It will make a world of difference.
the saddles are bone. i may just leave the plastic bridge pins for now since the guitar is out of commission until i can get it routed for two hums.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

Quote by azn_guitarist25
At the very top of the site their is a bar, to the far right click the "my profile' button, within their you'll be able to access another set of private messages.

I just learned something new today