Greetings!

I have spent the last couple of months improving my legato technique and now when it finally feels like it starts to give some results i notice something that makes me a bit confused and i hope you can help me.

To make it simple i'm going to make a short 3 notes "lick"-if you even can call it that?

Anyway, here we go:

15-14-12 ( On any string )

What i have noticed when watching some videos with different guitarists is that they wouldn't be using their pinky here. But i would.
Here is how i would do it: I = Index finger , R = Ring finger and P = Pinky

15-14-12
-P - R - I

While in the videos they would use their middle finger where i have my ring finger and their ring finger where i have my pinky.

I'm just wondering, is there some kind of reason why they do this? To me, it just feels uncomfortable but if it in any way will make my legato technique better i will definitely learn how to do it the other way.

I hope you understan what i'm trying to say and that you can answer my question.

Thanks!
Probably because those frets are smaller, and pinkies are really weak.

If they were doing it on, say, 5-4-2 they'd have to use that pinkie 'cause of the stretch.

It's really no big deal though. At least IMO. Do your own thing.
There are a few reasons for that,

1. you can use the pinky to stretch even further - while utilizing the other fingers fully
2. the pinky is (ussually) the weakest finger
3. it's less comfortable to cram all four fingers in a little space (higher frets = less space)
4. heavy usage of first three fingers is basicaly a bluesy technique which gives more stability/strength when bending - so because they're used to it so they just do the same for legatos...

and I guess there are some other reasons too... but you should be proficient with legatos with any finger combinations though, so take time to strengthen each finger.
Quote by Guitarfailwin
Probably because those frets are smaller, and pinkies are really weak.

If they were doing it on, say, 5-4-2 they'd have to use that pinkie 'cause of the stretch.

It's really no big deal though. At least IMO. Do your own thing.

Actually I believe that your ring finger is the weakest. (Edit: Or maybe I'm just stoned )

I have a tendency to do this also, though I'm not sure if its correct or not.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Last edited by Mr_Jubby_Jubs at Sep 13, 2009,
The only reason I'd see to do it the other way is if it's more of a 4 note lick or to change position up the neck easier or something, otherwise using your pinky is good.
I think its mostly because the pinky tends to be the weak finger. So more power to you for using it.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Ah great, thanks for your help people. It was really starting to bothering me. I will continue to work on my legato and hopefully i'll see you guys on the stage!
"Linear Fingers for Linear frets"
If you have a three note sequence over 4 frets, its logical to use your index and pinky for the 1st and 4th fret of the sequence, then depending on where the internal notes are, either the ring or middle. Ring in this case.

I use that formula for any 4 fret span 3 note lick. Even if there are more than 3 notes, say 4, or a larger span than 4 frets, my Index and Pinky are always on the outsides of the lick. Say on a 17-15-14-12 lick, my pinky is on the 17, and my index is on the 12. The others follow linearly.
Paul Gilbert automatically comes to mind when I think of those sort of things, since Paul is one of the few quitarists who really work on their third finger (sometimes refferred to as the Devil's finger). When I saw Paul in November he was using his index, ring and pinky for licks like
-12-14-16-

Whis was just cuh-razy lookin'.

Really it's preference, but I think it comes down to you ring and pinky's movements being dependent on each other, as well as the weakest of the fingers.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Sep 13, 2009,
Yeah, good on you for doing it the right (and initially, slightly harder) way. Getting your pinky fluent is one of the best things you can do for your technique.
Quote by se012101
Yeah, good on you for doing it the right (and initially, slightly harder) way. Getting your pinky fluent is one of the best things you can do for your technique.

+1

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Paul Gilberts technique, so his whole hand position i would say is wrong

Works for him I guess
Quote by chainsawguitar
+1

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Paul Gilberts technique, so his whole hand position i would say is wrong

Works for him I guess

I don't know how he finds it preferable, squeezing his mammoth spindly fingers into the smallest space possible.

But, yeah... Whatever gets the job done.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.