Hey peeps!

I've been looking into a new amp recently (a combo, shocker!) for several reasons, the most prominent of which is a portability issue. None the less, I am looking for a versatile, gigable amp that I can use at home for practice and recording (something we're all looking for I suppose!?). I have done a little research and ENGL (Sovereign and Raider), Mesa (Mark Series and F series amps), Blackstar (the series 1 45 combo), Egnator (Tourmaster, Rebel 30) and Orange (Rockerverb) all seem to be the kind of things Im looking for. I have also seen the Hayden MoFo around too, what're they like?

I play alot of different styles, jazz, blues, indie, prog/ambient/alternative metal/rock (RATM, APC, Tool etc) so clean sounds, overdriven sounds and hi-gain tones are very important, with cleans and hi-gain being the most important. My dream hi-gain tone would be like Adam Jones' (from Tool) but we don't all have thousands to spend on several amps and rack gear!

I have just sold an ENGL Screamer 50 with a 2 x 12" cab (a quarter stack I suppose :p so I am aware of ENGLs characteristics and such, I'd be looking for something with a more "open" gain (if you know what i mean). I have doubts about the Mesa MK series, as Im unsure if i'd be able to get my desired "tool" tones out of them (from what I've read they seem to be more rock n blues amps) aswell as the issue of being able to play at low volumes and still get a decent sound. I played the Blackstar S1 45 last week and the cleans on it were stunning, but I didn't have a chance to properly experiment with the gain channels... but from what I played it seemed to have a more "british" hi-gain even with the clever ISF filter going on... probs due to the EL34's.

I would be open to getting a dist/od type thing in conjunction with the amp if I can get the tone I am seeking.

Anyway, I'll wrap this up before I ramble on any further.

Any info/suggestions/tips you could give me would be great!

Ash

PS: Budget is about £1500 currently but it will grow (hopefully) if deemed necersary.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Sep 13, 2009,
can you go modelling?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
can you go modelling?

why whould he want that?

the Egnator Rebel with a decent OD pedal will be the best, IMO
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Last edited by alexdoabismo at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by alexdoabismo
why whould he want that?

the Egnator Rebel with a decent OD pedal will be the best, IMO

why?

1)there are great modeling amps in the market.

2)the high end modelers' amp models can ALMOST Sound like the real thing.

3)he plays alot of stuff so versatility is a must for TS, and modeling amps are the most versatile amps out there.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I would prefer to stay away from the modelling stuff... they have a habit of exploding if I use them lol. And I've never been able to dial in a tone from a modelling amp that I like, appart from clean, kinda find the distotrion channels to lack a certain element....
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
I would prefer to stay away from the modelling stuff... they have a habit of exploding if I use them lol. And I've never been able to dial in a tone from a modelling amp that I like, appart from clean, kinda find the distotrion channels to lack a certain element....

I hear you on the distortion thing , but the Line 6 Vetta II is a fantastic modeling amp. Check it out.

On the other hand, a Marshall JVM would sound like your best bet, I kind of like the idea of a Rockerverb better, more cash left over for some accessories.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
I despise Line6 with a passion, I hate to write it off completely but I have tried them before and I was horribly underwhealmed.

I have heard good things about the JVM... I dont usually like marshall tone but it'd deffo be worth a go =]

I guy i spoke to in a shop near me said that the rockerverb is a very versatile amp... and the option for more toys is a joyous choice ... Thats deffo on my try list too!

Anyone care to comment on the ENGLs or Mesas?
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH