Is it possible to swap out humbuckers for single coils, or vice versa? I understand that wood would have to be cut out/filled in, but is it electronically possible?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
No such thing as a stupid question.

Yes it's entirely possible to do. They're mostly wired the exact same way, unless the humbucker has 4-conductor wiring to allow coil-tapping.

For a more in-depth answer, I'd read through the Wiring Thread. You can find some really good info there.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
you don't entirely have to cut and fill wood, if you have a strat generally there are slots for both humbuckers and single coils all you would have to do is buy a new pickguard
Depends on the guitar to what you would have to do to it. Please tell us what guitar you want to change and what from and what to.
Legend.
Quote by CTFOD
Is it possible to swap out humbuckers for single coils, or vice versa? I understand that wood would have to be cut out/filled in, but is it electronically possible?

Abso-fruitly.
The only other thing you'd have to swap out really would be the pots, from 500K to 250K, or vice-versa. Maybe capacitors as well.
But electronically possible, definitely.
You might not even need to swap out the pots, although I'd recommend it.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.