I recently acquired a nylon string acoustic. No problems with it, save one: whenever I pluck a string to hard - usually the G string - I get this horrendous buzzing sound. It's not fret buzz. This seems to be coming from the bridge, but I honestly can't tell if it's the bridge or the nut.

I think I may need a new saddle for the bridge. Saddles are easy enough to come by and far from costly, so that's fine. But if it's the nut, how much do those generally run? Both for the piece itself and installation.

I also worry that it may be the onboard electronics - that the wires and such connecting to the pickups under the bridge may be shaking when I play. If it's that, how would I remedy it? I have a hunch that going in with tape may not be the best idea.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 13, 2009,
What kind of nylon string is it that it has electronics? Pics would help greatly, as would the make and model of the guitar.
Quote by LeftyDave
What kind of nylon string is it that it has electronics? Pics would help greatly, as would the make and model of the guitar.

Ibanez AEG10NETNG.

I've seen Ibanez' acoustics denigrated more than once on this board, but aside from this issue, the guitars has no faults whatsoever.
Could be a few things. Loose neck bolts, lose nut on the electronics, bridge pickup or a tie down wire is loose. Other things that can vibrate are your machine heads if they are a crappy brand. I know they do on my old Yamaha. Vibrations are common and is just part of regular maintenance. I just had to get my taylor 614 repaired from electronics vibrating from playing an open A. A nut was loose and it was a simple fix.
Ha, I have the EXACT same problem with a similar model guitar, and I've tried everything I could possibly think of.

Quote by Crashton
Could be a few things. Loose neck bolts, lose nut on the electronics, bridge pickup or a tie down wire is loose. Other things that can vibrate are your machine heads if they are a crappy brand. I know they do on my old Yamaha. Vibrations are common and is just part of regular maintenance. I just had to get my taylor 614 repaired from electronics vibrating from playing an open A. A nut was loose and it was a simple fix.

Did you have to take it to a shop, or did you do it yourself? If you took it somewhere, where did you go? I mean was it a store like guitar center, or somewhere fancy?

Edit: actually, I have the exact same guitar.
Last edited by StopReadingThis at Sep 15, 2009,
I have a Fender classical style with cut away and pick ups and i find this time a year its hard to keep it from buzzing. it wont buzz just after cleaning it. witch im thinking would be caused by the lack of humidity? but it only seems to affect the E A D. looking into a humidifier.
Fret buzz is caused when a string strikes a non-fretted fret. Usually occurs at the point of greatest oscillation, or halfway between the fretted note and the saddle.
Causes include the action being too low, a fret "raised", low humidity causing the guitar's bridge area to "sink" and thus lower the action...
not only a humidifier but also a hygrometer - very important.

Quote by ultyRob
I have a Fender classical style with cut away and pick ups and i find this time a year its hard to keep it from buzzing. it wont buzz just after cleaning it. witch im thinking would be caused by the lack of humidity? but it only seems to affect the E A D. looking into a humidifier.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!