Hello, I've been playing bass for around a year and a half now and I'm just about to buy a new bass... recently I've gotten really into reggae music, and i was wondering what kind of bass would be a good upgrade to play reggae on? I'm currently running an Ibanez GSR 190 through an Acoustic B20, and price range would be $5-600.
I've seen reggae being played on a lot of different basses. Thing is, your typical reggae sound cuts almost all the treble and a lot of the mids, so a lot of an individual bass' character is lost. It's all about EQ and technique.

Fender Precisions and Jazzes are used by a lot of famous players (Aston Barrett for example). I've seen photos of Robbie Shakespeare using a hofner violin bass (or copy) likely for its dead sound and short sustain.

Personally I play on a Musicman Stingray, though my sound if far away from the twangy slap sound its known for.

What I trying to get across here is that I don't think the type of bass matters much, go for something that sounds good without reggae-style EQ and you should be sorted when it comes time to feel the subs.
cool, thanks fender j-bass and hofner violin bass were actually two i was looking at... i think im leaning more towards the fender though, just because of the feel... ive played violin basses at school and they felt weird
^^True, almost anything will do, because almost every type of bass has been used.
But instead of the violin bass, how about one of Ibanez's Artcore semi's, or an Epiphone Jack Casady? The Epi Rivoli was a well used bass in reggae, and either of them would get you there.
You'd be unlikely to find even a tatty Rivoli on your budget, tho'.
Budget for an 18" speaker cab in the long run - it's an important part of the sound.
thanks for the advice and about the cab, thats next up on my list, im getting the bass first because im not playing for a reggae band right now, im playing for an alternative band, so i figured id get the bass first and then the cab since i only need to be able to play quietly when i play reggae right now, and the Acoustic handles that and the needs of the alternative band
Quote by Jateca
I've seen reggae being played on a lot of different basses. Thing is, your typical reggae sound cuts almost all the treble and a lot of the mids, so a lot of an individual bass' character is lost. It's all about EQ and technique.

Fender Precisions and Jazzes are used by a lot of famous players (Aston Barrett for example). I've seen photos of Robbie Shakespeare using a hofner violin bass (or copy) likely for its dead sound and short sustain.

Personally I play on a Musicman Stingray, though my sound if far away from the twangy slap sound its known for.

What I trying to get across here is that I don't think the type of bass matters much, go for something that sounds good without reggae-style EQ and you should be sorted when it comes time to feel the subs.

I play on a Washburn RB2500 - MM pickup and 5 string.

The tone i get out of that i do not change from song to song, we play in my originals act everything from reggae to funk to rock so i have to have a really versatile tone.

As such I make sure i have a big bottom end and tight highs with the bottom of the EQ curve sitting around 250hz - 500hz

As i once heard a reggae bassist say, "You can't have da bass without da smiley face"
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
^^ Fair point, I know our producer did include a certain amount of top end to help with definition, but the mids, especially high ones around 1Khz were scooped out.

As for the 18" cab, I personally don't think this is necessary. I currently gig with a 2x12 for practicality but a 15" would be plenty big enough IMO. Most of the bass at gigs I play comes from the PA subs, so my amp is mostly just for the benefit of myself and the rest of the band. The subs have a lot more power and bottom end than I could produce with a reasonable sized rig.

I've seen a fair few reggae players with 8x10s too. It's not the size of the speaker, it's all about the cab design.

I like creepingjesus' instrument recommendations too, worth looking into