Title says it all. And what chord formations are used if at all.

It's for a hw assignment and I'm not too keen on music theory.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
erm.....You tune down half a step so maybe Eb? Just a guess
DO IT LIVE
It's tuned a half step down to Eb. I imagine it's just chromatic...typical Slayer.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Ahh ok.

I know that's what it's tuned in but when they said "in what key" I didn't know that tuning essentially is the same thing.

How about chord progressions? Anything theory related?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
tuning and what key a piece is in is not the same. Not sure what key it is in, but someone's bound to have asked what key the song is in before you. from there on it's pretty easy to see chord progressions and the likes.
As said, tuning is not the same as key. Knowing Slayer, it wouldn't surprise me if it weren't in key.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Quote by ziggymidget
tuning and what key a piece is in is not the same. Not sure what key it is in, but someone's bound to have asked what key the song is in before you. from there on it's pretty easy to see chord progressions and the likes.

I'm a music theory retard. Easy doesn't exist in my dictionary when it comes to this.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Virtually everything Slayer has written is a minor key based on whatever the tuning of the lowest string is. In that case, Eb minor with liberal chromaticism.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Virtually everything Slayer has written is a minor key based on whatever the tuning of the lowest string is. In that case, Eb minor with liberal chromaticism.

Mind explaining this?

And what kind of chord progression does it consist of?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Chromaticism means the note being played isn't in the given key, just random notes that sound good played with the given key.

This tab has all of the chords at the beginning, so just figure out which chords are played when and you have the chord progression.
Last edited by ticklemeemo at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Mind explaining this?

The song is clearly minor, along with pretty much every Slayer song, and really, the vast majority of metal outside of power metal (and even an extremely large portion of that is too). However, Slayer use a lot of notes "outside" of the minor scale.

Eb minor: Eb F Gb Ab Bb Cb Db. If you look at the tab though, you'll see that there are plenty of notes used that are not included in those 7. That would be chromaticism, meaning they use half-step movement a lot of the time. By really focusing on the feel of the music and the predominant tones though, you can tell that it is clearly Eb minor.

Quote by ticklemeemo
It means it isn't in a key, they just play random notes that they think sound good together.

This tab has all of the chords at the beginning, so just figure out which chords are played when and you have the chord progression.

Don't listen to this. It is extremely wrong. Very little Western music is truly devoid of key. The only people who really write atonal music are those who try to. Slayer's insistence on slamming the low Eb string constantly obviously pulls the music toward a tonal center of Eb.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 13, 2009,
It changes key alot and in some sections doesn't even have one.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Mind explaining this?

It's nothing to do with chord progressions really. There aren't exactly a huge number of chords in slayer riffs beyond powerchords.

It means that while the basic key of the song is Eb they've used almost every note on the guitar to get that signature Slayer sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
By the way, if you plan on doing this often, you really need to learn theory (and you should anyway).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

Read through that a few times, and ask questions in Musician Talk if you really cannot understand a concept for the life of you.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The song is clearly minor, along with pretty much every Slayer song, and really, the vast majority of metal outside of power metal (and even an extremely large portion of that is too). However, Slayer use a lot of notes "outside" of the minor scale.

Eb minor: Eb F Gb Ab Bb Cb Db. If you look at the tab though, you'll see that there are plenty of notes used that are not included in those 7. That would be chromaticism, meaning they use half-step movement a lot of the time. By really focusing on the feel of the music and the predominant tones though, you can tell that it is clearly Eb minor.

Don't listen to this. It is extremely wrong. Very little Western music is truly devoid of key. The only people who really write atonal music are those who try to. Slayer's insistence on slamming the low Eb string constantly obviously pulls the music toward a tonal center of Eb.

I wasn't telling him it wasn't in a key, I was explaining chromatics, no need to be a jerk.
The tab I linked to shows that the song is in Eb-minor, but has quite a few chromatic notes. In fact the song seems to be written with a key change at some point, though I don't know if that was on purpose.
Again, no need to be a douche, he asked about chromatics and I explained.

EDIT: To TS I think that the key changes from Eb-minor to F-minor for the solo section.
Quote by ticklemeemo
I wasn't telling him it wasn't in a key, I was explaining chromatics, no need to be a jerk.
The tab I linked to shows that the song is in Eb-minor, but has quite a few chromatic notes. In fact the song seems to be written with a key change at some point, though I don't know if that was on purpose.
Again, no need to be a douche, he asked about chromatics and I explained.

You said "it means it isn't in a key." And you didn't explain chromaticism, you said they play random notes and choose what sounds good.

Don't get aggressive and start calling names or I'm going to report you. You gave incorrect information and I corrected you so you didn't lead the threadstarter astray. A lot of people said the same thing, you just happened to be the one I clicked "quote" on.
Quote by dudetheman

Well I've got the first part of what I need, what key it's MAINLY in (because like someone said before, the key changes at one point), Eb minor.

Now I just need the chord progression.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You said "it means it isn't in a key."

Don't get aggressive and start calling names or I'm going to report you. You gave incorrect information and I corrected you so you didn't lead the threadstarter astray. A lot of people said the same thing, you just happened to be the one I clicked "quote" on.

He quoted a post and emboldened the words "liberal chromaticism".
Obviously I was explaining chromaticism. Really, its quite simple, he says that he does not know musical theory, so I explain it in a way he understands.
It's a simple concept of teaching. Unlike trying to impress everyone by correcting the posts that "lead the threadstarter astray."
Any mod would see this, and I'm just calling it like I see it.
Quote by ticklemeemo
He quoted a post and emboldened the words "liberal chromaticism".
Obviously I was explaining chromaticism. Really, its quite simple, he says that he does not know musical theory, so I explain it in a way he understands.
It's a simple concept of teaching. Unlike trying to impress everyone by correcting the posts that "lead the threadstarter astray."
Any mod would see this, and I'm just calling it like I see it.

Chromaticism doesn't mean "it isn't in a key." It means "using notes that are outside of the key."

Those are two very different things.

And I wouldn't report you for being wrong, I would report you for calling me a jerk and a douche unprovoked.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Chromaticism doesn't mean "it isn't in a key." It means "using notes that are outside of the key."

Those are two very different things.

And I wouldn't report you for being wrong, I would report you for calling me a jerk and a douche unprovoked.

By your own definition, you are wrong. If a note is outside a given key, it is not in the key.
These are not intrinsically different things. The chromatic scale is not in any key, therefore it is not in the key of E-minor.
I apologize then for what I write in anger, but I won't take it down, because I believe that your post was unnecessarily arrogant. I rephrased my original post to explain what I meant, what I meant all along.
Just agree to disagree, you obviously aren't understanding what I'm trying to convey.
Quote by ticklemeemo
By your own definition, you are wrong. If a note is outside a given key, it is not in the key.
These are not intrinsically different things. The chromatic scale is not in any key, therefore it is not in the key of E-minor.

I apologize then for what I write in anger, but I won't take it down, because I believe that your post was unnecessarily arrogant. I rephrased my original post to explain what I meant, what I meant all along.

Please, just stop. I know my music theory quite well. It is in Eb minor with some chromaticism.

Chromaticism doesn't mean "using the chromatic scale" either. It is using the occasional outside note. That doesn't mean that the key is thrown to the wind.

I'm ending this discussion because a) I'm right, and b) the mods don't like petty fights. If you (and the TS, for that matter) are willing to actually learn something, I will explain it to the best of my ability. By the way, nice going editing your posts to make you look like the good guy. Classy. Everyone can still see your original posts in my quotes.
Quote by dudetheman

Nothing on the chord progression or what chord forms are used?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Chord forms are obviously power chords, meaning X5 chords. Now, power chords are not technically chords. They are more accurately described as intervals or dyads because they contain only two different notes (a chord has three).

For the progression, just look at what order they're in. It's that simple, really.

By the way, questions like this are much better off in the Musician Talk forum.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Chord forms are obviously power chords, meaning X5 chords. Now, power chords are not technically chords. They are more accurately described as intervals or dyads because they contain only two different notes (a chord has three).

For the progression, just look at what order they're in. It's that simple, really.

By the way, questions like this are much better off in the Musician Talk forum.

I'm a music theory retard. Mind helping me out just a little more?

And yeah I know that for next time. Im just so used to being around these parts lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I'm a music theory retard. Mind helping me out just a little more?

And yeah I know that for next time. Im just so used to being around these parts lol.

You really should be able to tell what order they're in. It's not music theory, it's putting them in order.

Look at this bit (verse 3 & 4):

PM------|     PM|                  PM--------------------|
|-----------------|----------------|-----------------|-----------------|
|-----------------|-----------2-3--|-----------------|-----------------|
|-2-2-2-3-2-------|---2-3-----0-1--|-2-2-2-3-2-------|-----------------|
|-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-|-0-0-1-0-0------|-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|

We have Eb5, then E5, then Eb5 again in the first bar.

See, it's seriously just ordering them.
Quote by dudetheman

You picked an awful song to figure out the key of tbh. because I doubt the teacher told you to figure it out xD But aye you should've picked a band that consistanly writes in key.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Crizzle
You picked an awful song to figure out the key of tbh. because I doubt the teacher told you to figure it out xD But aye you should've picked a band that consistanly writes in key.

Well I can technically pick another one if I wanted to. He said pick a song, any song and write down what key it's in and what chords/chord forms/etc. are used.

That's it.

Seeing as how I'm currently working on getting down Angel of Death I figured I would do that one lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
By the way, what class are you doing this for? It seems like you should know how to do this if you're in a class that assigns this kind of thing.
Quote by dudetheman

I don't see why the key is a big deal.

It's Slayer, they just come up with riffs that sound good, and solos are random mumbojumbo 90% of the time.

Choose a different band to figure out the key for.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Last edited by DragTheWaters11 at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by DragTheWaters11
I don't see why the key is a big deal.

It's Slayer, they just come up with riffs that sound good, and solos are random mumbojumbo 90% of the time.

Choose a different band to figure out the key for.

He needs to know because it's an assignment.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
By the way, what class are you doing this for? It seems like you should know how to do this if you're in a class that assigns this kind of thing.

Something called Rock Ensemble in my highschool.

Me and friend joined thinking it would be about playing as a band or something like that but we found out it was full of music theory buffs who have these whole repetoire of chords and stuff. Mainly everyone there plays classic rock or pop rock. Me and my friend are the only metalheads.

The teacher knows me and my bud are self taught and aren't as well versed in theory so he's a little more lenient with us.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Something called Rock Ensemble in my highschool.

Me and friend joined thinking it would be about playing as a band or something like that but we found out it was full of music theory buffs who have these whole repetoire of chords and stuff. Mainly everyone there plays classic rock or pop rock. Me and my friend are the only metalheads.

The teacher knows me and my bud are self taught and aren't as well versed in theory so he's a little more lenient with us.

Gotcha. Well, I do seriously recommend following that link I posted earlier and reading it. Don't try to tackle it all at once. Just reads bit by bit and ask questions along the way if you need help. The Crusades columns on this website are helpful as well.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Gotcha. Well, I do seriously recommend following that link I posted earlier and reading it. Don't try to tackle it all at once. Just reads bit by bit and ask questions along the way if you need help. The Crusades columns on this website are helpful as well.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

But I'm still not sure what to write down for what he meant for chord progression or w/e lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
I think Slayer was possibly one of the worst bands to study theory on.

As much as I love some slayer songs...i'm gunna go with this.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Thanks man I appreciate it.

But I'm still not sure what to write down for what he meant for chord progression or w/e lol

Do you have a chance to talk to your instructor about it? Try explaining that as a heavy metal band, they mostly use power chords in a riff-based fashion.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Tango616
As much as I love some slayer songs...i'm gunna go with this.

I concur. I mean if worst case is I'll have to pick another song (not a Slayer song lol) and make ANOTHER thread about that song lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
I think Slayer was possibly one of the worst bands to study theory on.

Quite possibly not actually, if you can understand the theory that makes Slayer sound the way they do I reckon you're doing pretty well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.