Okay, i've been in the market for a new amp for quite a while. I've been working in the region of a £500 tube head. I tried out all i could and my favourite was the ValveKing. Thing is, i wasn't really blown away. So, still on my MG15CDR, i'm trying to think of what to do. I played my mates Peavey Vypyr today and it got me thinking. Being 15, i have little money and turn 16 in January. So, i could get a Vypyr with birthday and christmas money and then get a really nice amp when i get a job. However, i'm also thinking i could spend my christmas birthday money on completely modding my guitar. Which would you do? why? or should i just save all my money completely?
save, and save some more, keep saving til you have more than you need, cause you never know what new thing will come out like a day before you decide to pop in to guitar center and buy whatevs
My Gear

Schecter C-1 Plus (Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 neck)

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Quote by willT08
Okay, i've been in the market for a new amp for quite a while. I've been working in the region of a £500 tube head. I tried out all i could and my favourite was the ValveKing. Thing is, i wasn't really blown away. So, still on my MG15CDR, i'm trying to think of what to do. I played my mates Peavey Vypyr today and it got me thinking. Being 15, i have little money and turn 16 in January. So, i could get a Vypyr with birthday and christmas money and then get a really nice amp when i get a job. However, i'm also thinking i could spend my christmas birthday money on completely modding my guitar. Which would you do? why? or should i just save all my money completely?

I would get a nice tube amp first and foremost, and then work on the guitar. Amps have a bigger effect on sound than the guitar.

Grab something decent like a windsor, valveking or HT-5...or if you don't gig or aren't in a band maybe a flextone or Vetta II depending on your genre(s).

Once you have a nice enough amp you can start modding your guitar, or getting a nicer guitar.
WTLTL 2011
wait - you have £500 and the best you could get was a valveking. Where do you shop?!?
I had a £500 budget and nothing inside that budget was all that good. Why? is there some awesome amp i've missed?
All i own right now is:

MG15CDR
Vintage VS6
My hands.

Anyone know where i could grab a used 6505 or DSL50 pretty cheap? other than ebay, duh.
If you liked the Valve King, but it didn't blow you away...
Try the Classic 30 - comes in both combo and head versions..

YES, 30 watts is PLENTY...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 14, 2009,
I tried the Classic 30. I had to check if i was using distortion. I've already decided on a cab so that's why i was looking for a head.
Get a new amp for sure dude.

Bad guitar + Good Amp = Good tone

Good guitar + Bad amp = Bad tone

What genres/bands do you play?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 14, 2009,
Check some Laneys out. The VC and Lionheart series are great, and fall in that price range.
I play modern rock and metal. I am partial to a bit of AC/DC though, mainly because i own an SG copy and it makes me feel awesome with a nice crunch. Can you get Blackhearts in the UK? Another thing is i can't crank it in a shop so i have no idea how these amps sound at high volumes. The HT-5 was definitely my second choice, plus it's cheaper i guess. Anyways, bands i play alot are Paramore (a shed load), Metallica, Tool, Enter Shikari, Sum 41, Early Green Day. Technically want something that plays Crunch to High Gain really nicely and has an acceptable clean side.
You can indeed get blackhearts in the UK if you order from thomann.de, they're nice, reasonably cheap amps that are meant to sound really good. Marshally voiced and from the list of bands you've just gone through a few use marshalls including paramore (I think)
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Paramore use a Mesa Dual and a Marshall so yeah it's half right. Thing is, i doubt i could play a Blackheart beforehand so that's steering me away.

EDIT: Are Vox Night-train's any good?
Last edited by willT08 at Sep 14, 2009,
Guys, here's a plan. Ok, so right now i'm desperate to move off of this MG so i figure i could get a Vypyr so that i'm at least mildly satisfied and then get a job (finally turn 16) and then just slowly build up my rig. Right now i'm thinking 6505 through Orange PPC212 + Boss DD-7. That my friends, is a dream rig.
Quote by willT08
Guys, here's a plan. Ok, so right now i'm desperate to move off of this MG so i figure i could get a Vypyr so that i'm at least mildly satisfied and then get a job (finally turn 16) and then just slowly build up my rig. Right now i'm thinking 6505 through Orange PPC212 + Boss DD-7. That my friends, is a dream rig.

If your dream rig is a 6505 and an Orange 212 skip the Vypyr and save. Your dream rig is affordable.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I knew about Bugera but then there's the reliability issues that seem to pop up in every review i read. I dunno, they're pretty cheap and the 6262 is pretty fecking smexy. Are the 5150/6505's THAT much better than Bugera's?
Quote by SimplyBen
You can indeed get blackhearts in the UK if you order from thomann.de, they're nice, reasonably cheap amps that are meant to sound really good. Marshally voiced and from the list of bands you've just gone through a few use marshalls including paramore (I think)

That, and they're the perfect platform for mods down the road. Infact they're made to be modded. The website even has a list of links to mod shop websites.

I myself have a Blackheart. One thing I would point out is you won't get high-gain metal without help/tube change. Stock they have passable cleans and a nice classic, as said above, Marshally crunch.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Scout your area's craigslist for good deals, you might now find any right away, but have patience and in the meanwhile save up. I wouldn't recommend getting a vypyr before upgrading since your budget would drop, so you should probably stick with your MG until you upgrade to a nice t00b amp.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by willT08
I knew about Bugera but then there's the reliability issues that seem to pop up in every review i read. I dunno, they're pretty cheap and the 6262 is pretty fecking smexy. Are the 5150/6505's THAT much better than Bugera's?

to my ears the difference is negligible in fact the Bugera had better cleans then the 6505 i tried, yet like you those reliability issues made me a bit skeptical but many UG-ers swear by them.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Ok, so here's the deal. I probably wouldn't be able to try either a Bugera 6262 or a Peavey 6505. However, they seem to fit me perfectly. Do i take the risk of buying before trying or fo i work my ass off to find one somewhere? also, do i buy Bugera or Peavey?