Page 1 of 3
inspired by the dumbest ramblings of the GC employees, how about a thread detailing your own noob-ness?

i remember, about 4 years ago, i asked a guy in a music store what you call the 'magnetic things' underneath the strings near the bridge.

your go GG&A!

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

"You mean, the ones you're standing in front of?"

...doh
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
"do you have a G string on you"
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
wats a tab?
i actually said that to my music teacher.

>.>

and i also heard a this during my trips to GC.
"Does Slash use the MG?"
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
one time I went to GC and said to one of the clerks.

Hand me your finest set of strings, my good man. I feel a rain drop-a-coming, and I shall not wait around with these overused, nasty, dirty strings. They make oranges look like nuts on leafs, and ...*looks at clock* Well my time is up, see ya Tuesday man

then I left. It was a dare and I was being filmed from a corner
Quote by esp1234
one time I went to GC and said to one of the clerks.

Hand me your finest set of strings, my good man. I feel a rain drop-a-coming, and I shall not wait around with these overused, nasty, dirty strings. They make oranges look like nuts on leafs, and ...*looks at clock* Well my time is up, see ya Tuesday man

then I left. It was a dare and I was being filmed from a corner

I wanna see this video...
Quote by StormLexer
I wanna see this video...

i'll ask him if he uploaded it on youtube
Excuse me, I was wondering if you could help me pick out an amp?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Excuse me, I was wondering if you could help me pick out an amp?

+1

thats why i get my spider
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
+1

thats why i get my spider

My first (and still my only) amp is also a spider...he said it was a pretty decent amp....
I used to work at an mgr... my buddy kevin was working and this young kid and his mom and dad come in. kevin starts chatting it up and gets a gtr in the kids hands and starts talking amps...

he looks them straight in the eye and says "SO LITTLE JIMMY, DO YOU PLAY IN A BAND OR DO YOU JUST PLAY WITH YOURSELF".

I swear this is a true story and kevin didn't even realize what he said, and never missed a beat... meanwhile me and the store manager had to exit to the back room cause we couldn't contain ourselves.
It was my first time getting new picks, and the employee asked me what kind I wanted. I had not clue about different kinds of picks, so I just said that I think the orange look nice. (They were orange tortex)
Sending a dummy to my God.

surprisingly, i didn't do or say anything stupid. i actually got in trouble by being to correct with something.

I was in a small guitar shop with my friends while she was getting her new bass (I told her "WTF is a bass?!?" well, not really) but while we were in there, there was a kid and his mom trying to get him his first electric guitar. he wanted to get an epiphone LP standard, i believe and one of the workers (theres only 2 in the store [it's a really small store]) plugged him into a Marshall MG 50 watt i think and started tellin them that it was a classic combo for an LP and a Marshall.

although, that is true, it's not really that amazing when it's an Epi LP and an MG. I wanted to help and so i walked up and asked him how the neck felt and if he knew anything, to play it. then the kid bought the guitar and as they left, i was telling the sales guy that even though an LP and Marshall do normally go well together, it's normally a tube marshall that does the trick. then he said that it doesn't matter if it's solid state or tube. and then i raised my voice a little and said that it did matter, then the owner came over and told me to get out.

tl;dr: i got kicked out for being right.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Mine were usually always indiotic mistakes not really said to someone when I started out. Like not thinking and being lazy by pluggin in the cable to the wrong input on the front of the amp and then looking like an idiot when the Sales guy comes over. Or the some idiot before me put the amp on 10 scare.

But there is one thing I always mess up to this day even. And thats saying names of boutique or unkown equipment. I always get corrected
haha, i remember my n00b days of first starting out, I said to a guy in a shop

"Whats a tube?"
My Gear

Guitars:
Dean Cadillac

Amp:
Marshall JVM 205H
2x12 Harley Benton Cab w/V30's
To a GC employee:

"What's a good versatile amp for under $500?"
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
"I came for the free PRS pickups"

He humbly told me that I need to buy the guitar too
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
"No thanks, I don't want to test the Epi SG Special before I buy it."
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Just thought of one I did...

Walk up to counter...

Me:Can I see your nuts?
GC:The guy pauses...
Me:Your nuts, the ones behind the counter...

After about a minute of silence and the guy in panic state of mind.. I remember what I said to him and how it sounds when they dont actually know what im talking about or the meaning what im saying.
Dumbest thing....well...I havent said anything dumb....but an independant salesman tried to sell me an MG footswitch for $90.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
"Nah, those fender cleans sound to clear. I'll take the frontman. It's bigger and meaner looking"

On a sidenote, not really a guitar shop. But I sold a wah to this guy on CL and we played it through the 5150. He was like, yeah man I got a Marshall .. a really old school one. I was like "ss or tube?". He said solid state. It's got the clearest cleans, heavy distortion, and even effects. One of the best sounding amps. I was like "Oh, it's not an MG100HDFX is it?"

Exactly, he responds. He just played through a 5150 and said that the MG has great distortion. With that logic, there was really no reason to go any further. So I was like "Yeah, that's a pretty good amp. Nice choice" Cheez I'm an ass
^That's generally what I do when I'm talking gear. I'll be like, I play through an Orange amp (I don't like to advertise the model or that it's valve, most people aren't into that stuff and it makes me look like a pompous arse). Then the guy will say, yeah I've got this really nice guitar, and he'll eulogise about it for 10 minutes, then say "All through a Marshall stack." Then I'll say, "Oh yeah, is it the MG series?" - "Yeah man, they're awesomely heavy!" - "Yeah, I always preferred the JCM series, but the MG comes close "

lol
Quote by mistermikev
I used to work at an mgr... my buddy kevin was working and this young kid and his mom and dad come in. kevin starts chatting it up and gets a gtr in the kids hands and starts talking amps...

he looks them straight in the eye and says "SO LITTLE JIMMY, DO YOU PLAY IN A BAND OR DO YOU JUST PLAY WITH YOURSELF".

I swear this is a true story and kevin didn't even realize what he said, and never missed a beat... meanwhile me and the store manager had to exit to the back room cause we couldn't contain ourselves.

What a legend
I love all these stories about GC but everytime i go to one, the guys are actually helpful. I went two weeks ago, and talked to the guy about tube amps for awhile. He knew his ****. Dismayed me that there Bugera v22 had failed on them, and he went in the whole quality thing about them being owned by Beringer and stuff. Theyve never tried to get me to buy an MG or Spider. So idk. Maybe its just that this GC
About 11 years ago I hadn't started playing gigs yet and had no pedals except a wah.

Me: Excuse me, I'm going to start playing shows soon, what kind of effects should I be looking at?

GC: Oh man, you gotta get a wireless system, man! You wanna be able to move around without tripping on your cable!

Me: OK!
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
After plugging a Gretsch 5120 into a Marshall MG, cranking the gain to about 8 and playing Coldplay's "Shiver" very badly:

"This sounds really cool."
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
In my teens, took my guitar to a local shop for a setup. I get it back, and the owner of the place, who was also the primary tech, is pretty livid, wanting to know how it got so cruddy dirty. I made the mistake of telling him the truth. By the time he was done chewing me out, he finished with "you ever bring me a guitar in that condition again, I won't even let you come back in here."

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
In my teens, took my guitar to a local shop for a setup. I get it back, and the owner of the place, who was also the primary tech, is pretty livid, wanting to know how it got so cruddy dirty. I made the mistake of telling him the truth. By the time he was done chewing me out, he finished with "you ever bring me a guitar in that condition again, I won't even let you come back in here."

woah....how did it get so dirty?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Well, I...waitasecond. I'm not gonna fall for it twice in my life!

I left it in my bands garage rehearsal space. It was climate controlled but obviously not dirt controlled.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
And of course, the joke was ultimately on him, as the store went out of business...

...I kid. I mean, it DID go out of business, but I'm not vindictive about it. I miss the place like crazy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 3