During band practice/rehearsal? I like to have a few beers and a smoke sometimes and start with working out technical stuff then jamming or writing at the end when you are a bit wasted.

Do you do this, or would you be cool with a bandmate doing this?
seeing as how everyone in my band is 16...i dont see why not
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
It completely depends on the people you're with. No-one in my band smokes, and we hardly drink at practice. We have the odd break and step outside, so if a band member did smoke, then that's fine.

I think the main reason we don't really drink much at practice is because

a) two band members have to drive to practice. Drinking and driving is bad.
b) I'm still very new, so I'm still learning songs. Learning is much more successful when sober.
All my band done was drink and smoke.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
just dont be like dave
Divine creations now destroyed to uncover the haunted atmosphere
Strange visions of the ancient spirits, travesty of man appears
Coldness and the storming winds lurking for prey
The forces of the Winter reign in dreadful way, there's no escape
ask your bandmates?
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Drinking a few beers is alright, getting drunk and being a retard is not.

Don't want to turn into a Metallica Dave Mustaine deal now -_-

Also, I would have to smoke during.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Every band I have been apart of (minus one with a hardcore Christian kid) has allowed this.

edit: STRONGLY ENCOURAGED this

+1

unless you're not totally wasted or stoned, who honestly cares?
Quote by CoreysMonster
+1

unless you're not totally wasted or stoned, who honestly cares?

...well im not the john bonham type who can play totally wasted and kick ass i tend to get a bit sloppy musically after 2 pints. for me though i always practice more than anyone and tend to be ahead so i guess its cool.
It depends on how serious your practices are.

If you're say, recording songs/demos then it would be best to be sober, but hell, if you're just jamming around and having a damn good time then go ahead.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by lucertia.
...well im not the john bonham type who can play totally wasted and kick ass i tend to get a bit sloppy musically after 2 pints. for me though i always practice more than anyone and tend to be ahead so i guess its cool.

as long as you don't drink too much, it's fine. and don't drink before gigs.

I'm wasted.
Don't drink enough to fuck your playing in the ass. Smoking is fine.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It completely depends on the people you're with. No-one in my band smokes, and we hardly drink at practice. We have the odd break and step outside, so if a band member did smoke, then that's fine.

I think the main reason we don't really drink much at practice is because

a) two band members have to drive to practice. Drinking and driving is bad.
b) I'm still very new, so I'm still learning songs. Learning is much more successful when sober.

This.
Quote by iantheman
Don't drink enough to fuck your playing in the ass. Smoking is fine.

i meant smoking weed
Me and my jamming buddies always pass around a pipe every half or or so when we play. We never have alcohol, but if we did I'm sure it would be passed around too.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
if actually trying to get a song down, it's easier sober. but after a few "substances" i find ideas flow easier, if not smoother haha
its all my band does......
in all seriousness, if you can still get **** done after a few brews and some herb then go for it. Especially if you are just jamming songs. For recording and learning new material i suggest sobriety but its up to you.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by lucertia.
i meant smoking weed

then don't smoke enough to fuck your playing in the ass.

at least until closer to the end of the session.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Depends. If you are having fun fine,. if you are actually having a serious practice then don't, same as if you were performing.

If anyone in our band smoked weed before or during a show or serious rehearsal, or drank, we would kick them out, it's amatuerish and stupid. If you are not doing serious stuff, then do it all you want lol.

Good luck!
I rarely smoke, but i don't mind bandmates smoking as long as it dosen't get in the way of things too much, a 5 minute break is ok wether people smoke or not, personally i don't drink at rehearsals as i want to be quite focused, but i don't mind bandmates having a couple of beers as long as they don't get smashed.

EDIT: By smoking i meant cigarettes, i don't know many musicans who smoke weed regularly enough to do it during a band practice.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Sep 13, 2009,
When practicing, definitely not. If you're writing or in a more casual environment, then smoking is fine.
If your band doesn't mind, it's acceptable. If they don't like it, it's unacceptable. I don't see why you needed to ask us, just ask them.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
we drink and smoke at practice. recently switched practice spaces, so we can no longer smoke while playing. but we still drink.
#DTWD
I wouldn't tolerate it. A few times my drummer has come to practice high and he played all the songs reaaaallly slowly and was totally out of it.. he couldn't remember how any of the songs went at all. It completely ruined the practicing IMO.
smoking weed or cigarettes? The point of practice is to practice. Not necessarily to have fun.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
the time it takes you to open a beer is time that could be used to play your damn instrument...
It's completely acceptable so long as you don't get too f*cked up and start sucking and wasting everyone's time on sh!t you would normally have down sober.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
if it's a serious rehearsal or writing session and you are able to contribute, then do what you will
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle