hey guys ive been wanting to write some songs utilizing the melodic minor scale, but ive been having trouble using it. the reason being is because i dont understand when to use what notes as it is different ascending and descending, which to be completely honest i dont know why this is and how to use to it. so if someone could explain how to use melodic minor in composition, i would be very grateful.

thanks for all the help
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
The "natural minor on the way down" rule is obsolete. Play it the same ascending and descending.

The reality is that a chord progression based strictly on the melodic minor scale will likely sound awkward. It's a scale you use over m/maj7 chords in jazz.
Okay, here we go.

Minor key can encompass either natural, harmonic, and melodic minor scales. Natural minor is the pure minor key. The harmonic key was used to create a leading tone (natural seventh) to the tonic. The melodic minor was then created to bridge the rather jarring interval between the sixth and seventh. You can use them all in a song, but using just one will only limit you.

The name of the real song escapes me, but when Jack starts to sing in this video , the classical piece uses a bit of melodic minor.
has a terrible signature.
Way back in the day they were making minor music. This was difficult using only the natural minor, as the notes don't have as strong of a resolution to the minor, as to its relative major. To counter this, they took the V - I cadence commonly found in major music, and emulated it in the minor key. To do this they raised the leading tone, which resulted in a minor scale altered for harmonic reasons (hence the name, harmonic minor), and a dominant V7 chord, which provided the desired cadence. This also created a problem. Ascending scales in a iv - V7 - i (or iio - V7 - i) had an augmented second between the sixth and seventh degrees, which in those times was considered an unpleasant melodic interval. This resulted in the sixth being raised to create a better ascending melody to the tonic. On the descent, the raised seventh was not necessary, as that melody was not being used in the cadence, and the raised sixth was not necessary, as the interval between scale degrees six and seven was no longer augmented. This resulted in a scale, different ascending and descending, which was apt for melodies (hence the name melodic minor). Hopefully this historical insight can give you some guidance as to why it exists, and how you might consider using it.
The basic concept or feeling you get out of a melodic minor is to give hope, then take it away. that is the point of major on the way up and minor on the way down. In a minor key the third is always minor, unless you are playing blues, then you have completely major on the way up and completely minor on the way down.

No it is not a strong resolution, but it isn't meant to be used as an ending, at least not in my opinion. Short feeling on the guitar, play the b string 2-4-5-3-1-0. That is a melodic minor half cadence in em.

Melodic minor is usually used for short purposes, and not complete phrases.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids