So guys, I've been playing guitar off and on for about two years, and I know one major scale which I learned only because I play trumpet and I learned it in band class. But anyway, the only thing I 've done with that one scale is play the Vonage theme.
Theme

So here's my question, how the **** do you apply major scales to music?. I need to break out of the penatonic scale.
Use it over major progressions. It isn't a substitute for the minor pentatonic scale (or the major pentatonic, for that matter). Use it the same way you use the minor pentatonic scale. I don't really get what it is you're trying to do. Solo? Write progressions? Write riffs? Learn basic theory?

Before anyone says the contrary, you CANNOT play the C major scale over an Am progression. That pattern of notes for the C major scale, however, is an acceptable way to play the Am scale over an Am progression, though. (Ignore this comment if you don't get it. I'll explain it later and you don't have to get it quite yet.)
You play it, and create melodies and chords from it. Just experiment with it, and you should find it very easy to use.
The answer is modes. Using the major scale starting and ending on notes that are not the tonic. Also try Modulations with the chord that you are on in the progression.

And the pentatonic scale is a good base for anything. I play my major and minor scales in and out of the pentatonic and blues scales.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...
The answer is modes. Using the major scale starting and ending on notes that are not the tonic. Also try Modulations with the chord that you are on in the progression.

And the pentatonic scale is a good base for anything. I play my major and minor scales in and out of the pentatonic and blues scales.

"hey it looks like you don't understand how to do trig - the answer is to do a PhD in number theory, by the end of that you should understand how trig was developed and how it works so then you can work out how to find the angle in a right angle triangle"

Firstly you in fact know all 12 major scales, you just don't know you know - the interval pattern is the same for all of them, so just start moving the same intervals pattern around to get a feel of how major is the same in all keys.

you apply the major in essentially the same way as the pentatonic, just with 2 extra notes. What specifically are you looking to do with the major scale?