So my friend and i have a project that we've started several moths ago, and things are moving right along. We decided to record, tried direct in, awful at best. So i've bought some used SM57's so we can record the bass and guitar at the same time, adding the vocals and drums in after and before respectively.

Anyway, I now have two SM57's and XLR cables but no pc interface, though we do have the cash for a relatively cheap one between us. Problems is, we have not the first clue on what interface to pick. Should i go for a direct in type interface and mix on my recording software, or use a mixer type interface that allows monitoring from outside the pc?

What i really need is a solution for good quality xlr to pc input for under $300 though slightly over is acceptable. I want the best in the price range.

thanks
Yawny
Quote by Pyrofretnic
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX2-with-POD-Farm-105148571-i1427098.gc

Havent ever used one, but I've only heard good things about it. You can model tons of different amps and cabs and effects and all that, but I dont see why you couldnt record dry signal with it.

For $200 you could get a PreSonus interface which would work much better overall. Line6 makes some good things but I dont think the UX2 is worth $200.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by moody07747
For $200 you could get a PreSonus interface which would work much better overall. Live6 makes some good things but I dont think the UX2 is worth $200.

This, a presonus for that price will give you 2 XLR/line inputs and phantom power.
thanks a lot, i'd heard comething about te Firebox before but wanted some other opinions. I'm assuming it comes with the necessary stuff required to run two inputs and hook up to a pc etc etc. I mix/record into (whatever term you want to use) Reaper as it works well enough for me and i dont care to spend a ton of money