I had a schecter damien 6 and recently got my hands on a Ibanez Xiphos with a tremelo.

Ive already learnt how to set it up, change strings and etc.

When i boguht it it had a fret job, and it was set up for standard.

I boguht a pack of elixirs .10s. and put them on the xiphos.

Now, i have always had that particular brand and guage in drop c on my schecter, with extremely LOW action and very minimal buzz,

although, no matter how i setup my xiphos, i cant get the action similar or very good action, my sweeps come out with a lot of dead notes, and its pretty unless i raise it a bit more, resulting in action too high for my tastes.

Overall,

I want to know anything that i could do to maybe somehow lower the action without causing so much buzz.

Thanks in Advance,

Shpunt
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Last edited by Shpunt at Sep 13, 2009,
help :\?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Theres not really that much you can do, mabey adjusting the neck might help, but if your going to go that low with .10, your going to get some buzz, I play in Drop C standard with .10's, but I dont do too much shreading. I would just get a heavier guage if your going to shread, since C standard isent much of a shreading tuning anyway.
wthere has to be something, becasue i see a lot of people with this kind of guitar with similar spec. hell, muhammed from Necrophagist uses it. i bet he doesnt have high action and a load of buzz
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
im in love with this xiphos at my store. think the model is xpt400? the action on that one is REALLY low but the strings feel like 8s or 9-42s. and im pretty sure its in Eb at the moment. as it turns out, this guy traded this guitar for another used ibanez and i have a class with him, so i might ask him how he got that particular guitar set up so nicely, and if i learn any tips ill let you know.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

awesome dude, but my casue is that its in drop c , which is usually very delicate when it comes to buzz
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Guitars with vibrato bridges do tend to always have slightly higher action than guitars with fixed bridges, especially if the vibrato is one that can be pulled up as well as pushed down. It's just the nature of the beast, you can screw a fixed bridge all the way down but a vibrato always needs at least a little room (unless you're just locking it down completely, but I'm guessing you're not).

I would also question what you consider to be high/low action, I'm increasingly finding that a lot of people who complain about their guitars having 'high' action simply don't have much of an idea what 'high' action actually is and/or expect 'low' action to be much lower than it ever can plausably be.

You may also want to look at the neck relief, especially since obviously we've been through summer now, the warmer weather could have caused the neck to bow inwards more than is needed, resulting in odd action, buzzing, etc.

It's also important to know what size fretwire the neck is fitted with, as that will also dictate possible action; if the guitar has large fretwire (as many 'metal' guitars do, especially Ibanez guitars) that will restrict how low string height can go before excessive buzz and intonation problems occur.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ah okay. so should i check with the truss?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Tune down your guitar to Drop C first (make sure it is in tune). Open up the back and loosen the springs (screw it anti clockwise to loosen the screw). Now tune the guitar back to Drop C. If the bridge raises too much then detune it and screw the springs in abit. If the bridge sinks then loosen the spring even more. Just tune it again. I've tuned mine to drop C with 9s so 10s are no problem.
i usually use 11's or maybe 13's for any dropped tunings.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
How high is your action now? How much relief is on the neck?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
You can't do drop C with 10's on a floating bridge, not if you want the thing to stay in tune. The tension between the strings and springs is the only thing keeping the bridge stable, if it's too low then it'll move all over the place which is not what you want when you're new to Floyds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 14, 2009,
Well, ive had no problems with tuning, it stays in drop c to pitch. my action is low but not as much as i'd prefer. My bridge is parallel to the body. and even at the height it is now. it is quite buzzy.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
It's because the strings are so loose - there's very little you can do about that, you need to increase the tension. A truss rod tweak may help but it's not guaranteed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

well i play in Dropc about 90% of the time. is there any tuning i can go to, or any strings i can use. to sort of lower the fret buzz? any tweaks?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Well, when your in that low of a tuning then .11's wont be hard to press down, and they will for the most part solve your problem. But I'm kindof confused with your situation, I play in Drop C standard and Drop A# all the time with my Custom Squier with .10's, and I can only hear minor fret buzz on the clean channel when I strike too hard. Course, I havent set up the trem for the tuning yet.

Oh, another thing with low tunings, you can't smash on the strings and not expect fret buzz like with higher tunings. So your action may be fine, you may just be striking the strings too hard, especially with light guage strings in a very low tuning, they get kinda floppy.
Quote by steven seagull
You can't do drop C with 10's on a floating bridge, not if you want the thing to stay in tune. The tension between the strings and springs is the only thing keeping the bridge stable, if it's too low then it'll move all over the place which is not what you want when you're new to Floyds.

Ummm...False...which never happens with you.

My RG is tunned exclusively to Drop C with .10's and it has the dreadded Edge III tremelo and that thing stays in tune like no other guitar I have ever owned.

You just have to compensate for the lack of string tension by increasing the tremelos spring tension.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

My RG is tunned exclusively to Drop C with .10's and it has the dreadded Edge III tremelo and that thing stays in tune like no other guitar I have ever owned.

You just have to compensate for the lack of string tension by increasing the tremelos spring tension.

I agree with this guy, I managed to make my standard strat tremlo float in Drop C standard without it going out of tune, I have a track on my profile of me abusing the hell out of it. I just managed to do this today. lol
Quote by srob7001

But that doesn't work, you have to decrease the tension otherwise you end up with a trem that's sunk down into the cavity. If string tension goes down then spring tension has to likewise decrease to match it.

You can do it on a dive only bridge because it can't physically sink, but any floating bridge needs the tension balanced to keep the bridge level.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
But that doesn't work, you have to decrease the tension otherwise you end up with a trem that's sunk down into the cavity. If string tension goes down then spring tension has to likewise decrease to match it.

You can do it on a dive only bridge because it can't physically sink, but any floating bridge needs the tension balanced to keep the bridge level.

Typo in last post.

You are right...if you increase string tension you have to increase spring tension.

If you decrease string tension, you have to decrease the spring tension.

But, you can still do this with DropC with a floating trem. Mine at home is set up right now like that and the bridge is flat and I have no buzzing or muted notes. It can be done, you just have to find the correct tension balance.

I knew you couldn't be wrong....I have never seen you wrong in a post.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
so how would one such as myself set up my guitar for low action with drop c? with only minor or minimal buzz
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Tune to Drop C and then when your bridge is level and the action is right do a truss rod check. Look online as to how to do that. or look here http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

Only reason I can think you are getting buzz is that your truss rod needs a little adjusting or your action is too low. Or both. Sounds like you have too much back bow.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
hm. that the only adjsutment i never did. how dangerous is it me for to look at the trussrod.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
is there any guide thats a little more step by stepf or what im doing? i dont want to do something i regret
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
If you're sure you're going to be keeping the guitar in drop C tuning for a long time and won't be tuning back up any time soon, it indeed might be wise to very slightly lossen the truss rod. You do this by turning it anti-clockwise; only turn it about 1/8th of a full turn at a time. Loosen the string tension (tune lower than drop C), adjust the truss rod slightly, let it settle for a bit, adjust it again. You probably shouldn't need to adjust the truss rod more than 3/8ths of a turn. Be aware that turning it either way too much can result in perminant damage to the guitar's neck, including but not limited to snapping it clean in half. It may seem boring but it's better to take your time with it and go slow than rush it and damage your guitar.

Once you've done that, as others have suggested, tune the guitar to drop C and then loosen the spring tension in the back of the guitar so that the bridge's base plate is parallel to the top of the body. Once you've done this you'll probably find that the strings have de-tuned lower, so tune them back up, at which point you may find the bridge is now raised too high - if this happens, de-tune the strings by about a whole step, adjust the bridge's spring tension so the bridge is ever so slightly dipping down past the guitar's body, then tune the strings back up. Keep repating this back-and-forth tuning/spring adjustment until eventually you'll get to a point where both the strings are in tune and the spring tension is equal.

However do remember that this will result in loss of tuning stability if you use the vibrato a lot, as the springs will have to be really very loose to match the down-tuned strings, especially on the low E side. You're also not going to be able to do any unison bends or simialr techniques as the bridge will raise up quite drastically every time you bend a string (throwing the other five strings out of tune). Generally speaking it is a better idea to use .11 strings for this kind of down-tuning with a vibrato bridge.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
alright. would light Top/Heavy Bottom, work with a tremelo bridge? and not mess with the bridge too much? cause im guessing its the string guage thats ****ing it
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Yeah, it'll work so long as you make sure to adjust the springs in the back to compensate for the difference in tension between the higher strings and the lower strings. It just means you'll have to be a little more careful when setting it up the first time and it might take a bit longer, but it will work and once you've got it set up it will be no different to if you had a regular set of strings, just it might keep tune a bit better and usually it will sound a bit more 'precise' since the drop-tuned string won't be so loose.
or it it cause my higher strings arent .11 that i cant lower that any more?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
I'm assuming you have a floyd rose type trem? Well, I have a standard strat trem and I have done exactly what your talking about, I'm in a drop C standard Drop A# tuning with a simi floting standard trem. It does not go out of tune with abuse(which is suprising to me).

But what I did was I have my truss rod set for Standard tuning for .10's, and basicly keeps the action low, its a pertty thin neck though. But what you might want to try is to set your neck stress to standard tuning and then down tune from there, and when you get to Drop C, start adjusting your springs till the bridge levels out( idk, I usually like my bridge to have about 5mm of up travel).

But I could be wrong, but it seems to work for my guitar. If you dont feel confortable doing it your self, then dont heasitate to take it to a shop and have them set it up. Its like $50, and they wont mess up. Better to be safe than sorry.
well my gutiar was set up for .9s when i got it. then i put .10s on it and dropepd it from standard to drop C. so could it be the neck?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
any help :\?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3