My amp buzzes heaps with distortion. It's the same sort of buzz that happens if you unplug your lead from you guitar and touch the jack or jackplate with it. It's not normal, and the it has been fine until a few days ago. It's also picking up radio.

I have an Epiphone G-400, a lead to a Zoom G1X, then another lead to my Roland.

It's a really intensive buzz with the pedal and both leads, it buzzes straight though the amp as well but with less intensity.

Could someone help me with this?
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Sep 13, 2009,
Thats a tough call.

Atfirst i thought it was just white noise, but from how you describe it, it seems to me like the jack might be a little dirty.

ir perhaps just too much distortion for that particular amp.

but you should defanetly get that amp checked out, along with your guitar, pedals, ECT.
at your local guitar store.
Quote by Firering56
Thats a tough call.

Atfirst i thought it was just white noise, but from how you describe it, it seems to me like the jack might be a little dirty.

ir perhaps just too much distortion for that particular amp.

but you should defanetly get that amp checked out, along with your guitar, pedals, ECT.
at your local guitar store.
We did, and it was fine there.

Actually, it still picks up radio, it's just a lot quieter.

Would a gold-plated lead help?
Ground fault somewhere in your guitar if the buzz stops when you touch the metal parts of the guitar. Get a tech to take a look at it.
oh, and also make sure it's your guitar and not your amp by testing on another amp.
Quote by ziggymidget
Ground fault somewhere in your guitar if the buzz stops when you touch the metal parts of the guitar. Get a tech to take a look at it.
oh, and also make sure it's your guitar and not your amp by testing on another amp.
It's on both my amps

And the buzz gets louder when I touch the strings, quieter when I touch the jack
Could be a ground fault in your house itself, which is dangerous. Could also be electro magnetic interference. Florescent lights and CRT displays are big causes of interference, but any electrical device can cause the problem. Try turning everything in your room and/or house off and see if it goes away.

There could be a major power line near by that is causing the interference, if interference is the issue of course. If you can, take your amps and guitar to another place such as school, work or a mates house and see if the buzz is still there. If it is there's a good change its a problem with your guitar as a fault in both amps is less likely. If the buzz is still there, try different guitars.

That should help you narrow down the problem
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by .arkness:.
Could be a ground fault in your house itself, which is dangerous. Could also be electro magnetic interference. Florescent lights and CRT displays are big causes of interference, but any electrical device can cause the problem. Try turning everything in your room and/or house off and see if it goes away.

There could be a major power line near by that is causing the interference, if interference is the issue of course. If you can, take your amps and guitar to another place such as school, work or a mates house and see if the buzz is still there. If it is there's a good change its a problem with your guitar as a fault in both amps is less likely. If the buzz is still there, try different guitars.

That should help you narrow down the problem
This is possible and has been considered, however, I'm convinced it's something in the guitar because I have two guitars and one works fine and the other doesn't

And to the guy above: Yes I have tried moving to another part of the house
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Sep 14, 2009,
well then if it's just the one guitar then it's definitely a ground problem somewhere. Open it up and look for loose wires. There should be a wire that runs from the control cavity up towards the bridge which is where the strings get grounded, make sure that one is connected by giving a light tug on it, you should be able to feel if it's soldered on or not.

But you described it as a more intensive buzz, like the jack isn't plugged in. That doesn't sound like a bad ground but it's worth checking out.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Sep 14, 2009,
Has this guitar previously worked fine for you under the same circumstances? Is the problem on one or both pickups?
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by SwamperGene
Has this guitar previously worked fine for you under the same circumstances? Is the problem on one or both pickups?
Yes, and both.

I borrowed another Epi from the store (for Aussies: Allans Music is the best music store ever) and it worked fine. And under warranty they are going to let me keep it.

However, it might be something to do with the knobs. I recently bought and installed some metal dome knob, and that might have something to do with it. Probably not though