When I pick the open G and D strings, they make this nasty buzzing sound. It doesn't come out too much while plugged in, but when I am playing unplugged, it sounds horrible.

I trying holding the string behind the nut to see if that was the problem, and that didn't do anything. Any help?
live to play live
Likely just a saddle adjustment (or tailpiece height) that is needed....I'd start there and then think about adjusting the truss rod if necessary
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
I have been playing guitar for a while, but I don't know much about adjusting the saddle. Where do I start?
live to play live
if it is a strat style bridge, there are small hex screws on either side of each saddle. You want to raise the saddle, so tighten the screw a few turns.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
take off all the strings and then shave down the frets with a knife so that they are lower. this will cure your string buzz.
Quote by Jayez
take off all the strings and then shave down the frets with a knife so that they are lower. this will cure your string buzz.

Whatever you do don't try this. Obviously this guy is back on the pipe.