i like thrash metal ...metallica,megadeth, slayer, lamb of god, children of bodom and so on.... i dont have an electric guitar so ive been playing acoustic. i need help, my budet for my entire set-up is probably $210 and have been looking at a dean vendetta xmt guitar and amp pack take a look

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-Guitar---Amp-Pack-620086-i1452630.gc
id say dont do it id save up and get something good instead of getting something ****ty and then being like y did i waste my money save up and get a nice guitar and then a decent - nice amp
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
You can play metal just fine on an acoustic. Many metal songwriters do their writing on acoustic guitars, anyway. I suggest saving up and getting nice equipment.
I had a friend who had a vendetta and i'd play it a lot, they really aren't that good.
it's not that great with pinch harmonics, the volume knob didn't work, the pick ups weren't even that different in the neck or bridge positions.. you should just save up more
That's a waste of $200. Save up a while and get a decent beginner guitar (probably ~$600), and then a decent, but small amp. That will be much more satisfying, than buying that now, and then wanting to replace it right away, and not being able to get your $200 back.
If you really want an electric now, work out what you'd get if you had about double that budget, then go second hand. Don't forget the amp will take a chunk of your budget too. If you can wait, then listen to these guys and wait and save up so you can get something that will last you a while.
You can play metal just fine on an acoustic. Many metal songwriters do their writing on acoustic guitars, anyway. I suggest saving up and getting nice equipment. It is possible to buy even guitar which already was in use.
packs are a waste of time/money - the instruments and amps are generally of such poor quality they're not worth playing. I reckon if you save a bit more you can get something decent - that or look at 2nd hand stuff, you can probably get a 2nd hand pacifica for within that budg.et

If you want really good advice for your budget, delete this thread and head over to GG+A, they know their guitars like MT knows it's theory.

EDIT: kukuruza, what the - did you mean to just quote sue? i swear i've seen that happen a couple of times in the past few days - not just you and sue either...
EDIT"2: it appears to be just you - i do feel a bit harsh because i'm not sure how good your english is - but to quote someone use the quote button *reported as spam*
Last edited by doive at Sep 14, 2009,
thanks for all the replys but my budget probably wont go over $280 and thats if i wait till after christmas ...i dont get allowance i dont got a job... and my parents are all against it
Bestow upon me magic
Wizard, all knowing, all wise (solo)
I want to rule this kingdom
Make sweet the breeze now defiled (solo)
Dethrone the evil prince's iron fists
In velvet gloves of sin (solo)
Bestow upon me magic
i have no comment on the guitar - but don't trust it

avoid that amp like the plague though! it's not great - go ask GG+A and they will tell you
also this thread isn't really meant to be here so should be deleted or requested to be moved.
I wont beat around the bush here, most guitars worth less than 400 bucks are gonna suck and you will hate them after a while. Save up your money
Yeah, Bangoodcharlote has a good point about the acoustic thing. A lot of Killswitch is written on acoustic, and they (like many) layer guitar tracks with acoustic to balance sounds and add fullness. But with you budget, it's going to hard to get a good warm low-end sound. I suggest looking at an amp first, as long as you get a nice warm sound, the amount of gain you set up will help it sound good (esp for the chuga-chuga stuff). but what do i reccommend?
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with straight mesa cabs (preferably loaded with Vintage 30s), and a Les Paul.
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by mattrsg1
Yeah, Bangoodcharlote has a good point about the acoustic thing. A lot of Killswitch is written on acoustic, and they (like many) layer guitar tracks with acoustic to balance sounds and add fullness. But with you budget, it's going to hard to get a good warm low-end sound. I suggest looking at an amp first, as long as you get a nice warm sound, the amount of gain you set up will help it sound good (esp for the chuga-chuga stuff). but what do i reccommend?
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with straight mesa cabs (preferably loaded with Vintage 30s), and a Les Paul.

dude, you know that's $1000+, right?
Quote by AvengedFoghat

$1000+? More like $5000+

TS, I'd recommend a yamaha pacifica and a roland cube 15... Probably the best bang for your buck in that price range and if you shop around you could probably get it for around $240, cheaper if you go used.
The Boogie amp is going to be about $2000 and the Les Paul will be about the same as well. Yeah, you're looking at $5000-7000 for that setup. It would be a fine setup, though. (Just give me a Strat with a humbucker instead of the LP, but that's my personal opinion about Gibson).

I know just about nothing about amps, but if you get a decent one, you'd get an excellent sound from a Carvin guitar. (Carvin owners <3 Carvin guitars and very much <3 the fact that their friends who spent twice as much on Gibsons like the Carvin guitars more than the Gibson. Hint hint!)
Bestow upon me magic
I would really suggest going the used route. Find someone who knows about guitars and have them go around with you to pawn shops and stuff. Also, don't feel like you need to get a dean or esp or something just because you want to play metal. Really any guitar with a humbucker in the bridge will do it for you. Also, the roland cube 15 is a decent bang for your buck b/c you'll end up wanting to keep it for a practice/travel amp when you can afford a bigger one.
I reckon your best bet is a used Squier or Encore (I've got my stepson's old encore and its great - I use it whenever I'm somewhere its likely to get dinged lol), or an '80s Ibanez/Kramer/Washburn - which would be better for metal, but harder to find.

And yea, don't forget to save some money for your amp!

Might be worth splitting your budget in half, taking one half to buy an amp, then any you have left add it back in to your guitar budget.
IMO, guitar packs are ok to start off with. Because no matter what you have, you will still be learning and playing and having fun. The yamaha pacifica is a good choice from someone above. Solid guitars. I'm not a fan of Dean but hey, if you like it, go for it.

More expensive gear is what you get when you can afford it. I had a classical for 3 years before I could afford a 2nd hand no name brand piece of crap from a pawn shop. Didn't have cash for an amp until 3 years later so I played unplugged... but I could still zoom around the neck to my favourite songs from Tourniquet and Slayer (at the time).

Things take time in this world. Who knows... whatever guitar you get, it may even be able to make you money in the meantime with a gig or two. No matter how much of a piece of crap it may be... with a decent setup it'll be as good to play as any other good guitar (except a James Tyler which comes with its own custom setup by the man himself or some poor pleb who works with him). Playing unplugged really helps your ear... its your call in the end. After you have your guitar and starter amp, you can then start saving towards a bigger amp and maybe a better guitar.

Not everyone in this world is in a fortunate position to buy what they want when they feel like it. Good gear costs, and if you don't have that cash... buy whatever you can afford at the time with the knowing that you will be able to afford something better some other time. If your parents don't want to help or can't help... then its up to you. Start small. Build on it as time goes on. I hope this helps ya
Listen to Evo - he's right. You don't need great kit to start out and have fun - you just need a guitar that works and an amp that works
ok thanks i probably wont be playin infront of anyone for quite a while but you guys definantly make sence--get what i can afford for right now then in a year or so get somthing better- also if i get a pack with my birthday money then i can save all my christmas money till next years birthday and christmas
Bestow upon me magic
haha, yes i was just joking. i know its a huge amount of money.
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by AvengedFoghat

I can actually see the sarcasm sailing straight over your head.

On topic, though, the suggestion to save for now and use what you've got is what I would recommend as well.