Apparently I've been holding the pick wrong for a year now lol. I've been playing by holding the pick between my thumb and my index and middle finger...does anyone else play like that, or is the standard between thumb and side of index?

Strangely I play ok the way I did, but now it seems awkward knowing there's a right way...should I stick with the way I know, or re-learn with the other?
My babies:
-Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Yeah I started off that way, I actually pick that way sometimes, whatever feels comfortable
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Most people are taught the thumb/index way but if thumb/index/middle works for you I would say just stick with it.
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
you'll hit a roadblock in playing if you continue to hold it this way. Between thumb and side of index finger is the generally accepted way to hold a pick. If you just want to play chords, yeah i guess it's fine, but if you want to progress, change it up. I've been playing for a little over a year and i can already play the solo to eradication by all shall perish (among other solos, i just thought that this was the hardest one)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I do it sometimes, depends on what i'm doing
Bluesy playing, middle finger and thumb
Hard rock/other heavy forms of music, middle index and thumb
slow picking stuff, index and thumb

So, I doubt it really even matters
At least now I know others do it. And chords feel more natural, more...loose? that way, and the standard ways it seems wrong. But I've been playing with the thumb/index/middle for a while now, and I'm used to it.
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
I hold my pick this way (and have done for 7 years), as do Steve Morse and MAB from the top of my head. Two gods of shred and in particular speed picking prove that it can't be all bad.

There was an article on ibreathemusic.com I think, discussing this. The guy said that he started off that way, and then went to Berklee and realised he'd been doing it 'wrong', so changed to the conventional method. In the end he said that both ways have their advantages for different techniques, for example the conventional way is better for sweep picking, whilst the other way is better for Morse-esque alternate picked arpeggios.
Lol great! Now my hands are in a subconsious battle on how on how to hold it
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
I'd go with 2;

It gives you 1 more finger to mute noise, and to tap easier.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Heh, yeah. I do it too. I tried doing it the other way and it feels "wrong" to me, of course, that's just because I'm not used to it.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
I did that when I first started, but I broke the habit after a few years of playing and switching between the two. I found that not using my middle finger allowed me to switch between lead and rhythm much quicker because my fingers didnt have to adjust the way I was holding the pick.

If your strictly a rhythm guitarist I dont think it would really hurt too much to continue like that. But if you like to play both rhythm and lead, and like to switch between the two on the fly while playing I would say you should learn to hold it the "standard" way.

I put standard in quotes because the way people hold their picks varies from person to person but generally most people only use their index and thumb.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Hold it with the side of the index and pad of the thumb - better for channeling the weight of the arm, leaves more fingers free to hybrid pick or tap, less effort required to hold it.
I can't see how you do it with two fingers and a thumb- surely this way is slower because you have to move three digits at once?

If I were you I'd convert to the "standard" way of picking- its more versatile (as freepower mentioned), and the more fingers you use, the more it'll make you want to pick by moving your whole arm- which is kinda bad. The more fingers you tense to "grip" the pick, the less flexable your wrist becomes- and you need a relaxed wrist to pick properly.
I use to do that but I changed to a thumb and index picking with a slight angle on the pick
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
That's the only way I can play. Thumb on top, middle on bottom, index on the side. Sometimes I take off the index in the middle of playing subconsciously, so I play with just middle and thumb. I don't see how people use just index and thumb, honestly. For those who say it 'slows you down', no, it doesn't. Unless you hold your pick in an especially eccentric way, you will play just fine.
Quote by .Wretch.
That's the only way I can play. Thumb on top, middle on bottom, index on the side. Sometimes I take off the index in the middle of playing subconsciously, so I play with just middle and thumb. I don't see how people use just index and thumb, honestly. For those who say it 'slows you down', no, it doesn't. Unless you hold your pick in an especially eccentric way, you will play just fine.

LOL that freakin sounds exactly like what i do, you just don't realize you've taken your finger off the pick, then its just like "Oh..." no interruptions at all
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by chainsawguitar
Yeh but eddie isn't exactly known for his picking!

Shawn Lane was
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I (used to) hold the pick with those 3 fingers as well, for the last week or 2 I've been trying the "standard" way. Although I didn't notice it before trying, the first method isn't great with alternate picking. With the standard way the pick doesn't flop around so much.

I need to get used to it, especially when strumming chords, but I think the standard way is the way to go. At least, for me.

I've been playing for about 1,5 years btw...
Quote by sido
I (used to) hold the pick with those 3 fingers as well, for the last week or 2 I've been trying the "standard" way. Although I didn't notice it before trying, the first method isn't great with alternate picking. With the standard way the pick doesn't flop around so much.

I need to get used to it, especially when strumming chords, but I think the standard way is the way to go. At least, for me.

I've been playing for about 1,5 years btw...

Not sure how you were holding it, but my pick doesn't flop at all. If anything the extra finger gives it more stability.
There are about as many ways to play an instrument as there are people playing them.

If that isn't zen wisdom, I don't know what is.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yup, when I first started I was doing that too. I had to get used to holding it the correct way. Beginners make a lot of mistakes, I remember the first time I ever tuned my guitar, I tuned the G string an octave lower than it should be and I was playing like that for about a month before I realised my mistake.

Anyway I suggest you get used to holding it with 2 fingers too. Trust me, when it comes to things like alternate picking it will help a lot. But yeah James Hetfield holds it like that too xD
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
hold the pick however you want
as long as its comfortable and doesn't limit your playing
Quote by j_link13
hold the pick however you want
as long as its comfortable and doesn't limit your playing

Yes, I agree, but I think the idea is that we discuss what is least limiting to your playing.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I really don't believe in holding your pick wrong...it's however you are comfortable playing.

So what if you held it with your toes? Do you think that if you got used to playing like that it would be the best technique for guitar?
It doesn't really matter how you hold the pick. As long as you can still play to your ability while doing it. If you find that it's holding you back then you probably should try something different. But otherwise, do whatever is most comfortable for you. Theres not one certain way to play the guitar.